Run Role-Playing Games (Very High Utilization)
Normal
Small
Posted by terraspaz

As a curiosity, I crunched some numbers from the Event Catalog (Available at https://www.gencon.com/experience/find), and found that as it stands today, RPG games have a notably high ticket utilization. (The highest of all, except for True Dungeon)  (I listed the categories with >60% utilization)

My guess is other categories may be more prone to having folks play with Generics (easier to walk up to a game that may not require character preparation, or knowing a specific rule-set,) so this difference may be closer after all the games are played, but as it stands, 7 out of every 8 RPG slots are filled today.

So next year, if you've been on the fence about running a Role-Playing game, go for it!  The interest seems to be there.

Category            Total Tickets Available              Total Tickets Consumed      % Utilization
Board Game                 58,965                                  36,180                             61%
Historical Mini's              1,788                                    1,158                             65%
LARP                             4,163                                    2,846                             68%
Miniatures                     2,438                                     1,482                            61%
Role-Playing Game    44,677                                  38,231                            86%
Spouse                          8,567                                    5,200                             61%
True Dungeon                 8,200                                    8,200                           100%

Safe trips to GenCon!  Four days to go!

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Interesting breakdown, but you left out both card game categories, which are also fairly popular.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I'd love to see what the numbers looked like (from Gen Con) after the Con.  I'd be curious to see how many spots and if the % utilization changes with the use of generics.

Normal
Small
Posted by derekguder

If you're curious, you may also want to look at the break-down of ticket demand we try to do for specific games after registration starts: High-Demand Games from 2018.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

New Post Sign in to write a new post.