Events in Lucas Oil
Normal
Small
Posted by brewski

I was wondering if the Xwing event went well over at Lucas Oil. Someone in here had some concern with being moved out there and hoping things went well.
I'm assuming that if I run some Xwing 1.0 events next year if it will be worth it if my event is also put at the stadium.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

We played a bunch of events in Lucas and they were just fine. 

Normal
Small
Posted by pezkat

2 of the 3 groups running games there that I talked to had quite a few no-shows, presumably because of the distance.  For me it was convenient to my hotel.  The temperature was also nicely regulated.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

I think no-shows just happen regardless of the distance.  People overcommit.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

No shows do happen ,But our group and all the ones I talked to had a larger than normal amount ,then you add that to the much lower number of walk ups and you have Lucas oil. I liked most everything about the stadium more than the exhibit hall,until the start of the events. I will say that all the problems associated with being there were forseeable. No signage letting people know that miniatures were in the stadium(the general public that is,most gamers knew where their events were),the food and drink problems, the  malaise about walking to the stadium,etc...  . Hopefully gencon will spend time analyzing what the GM's say. 

Normal
Small
Posted by heychadwick brewski

brewski wrote:
I was wondering if the Xwing event went well over at Lucas Oil. Someone in here had some concern with being moved out there and hoping things went well.
I'm assuming that if I run some Xwing 1.0 events next year if it will be worth it if my event is also put at the stadium.

That was me who had the concerns.  They turned out to be pretty valid.  Our numbers were about 50% less than what we experienced last year.  We did have people who had such a great time before look us out and hunt us down no matter where we were, but we definitely had issues with less people.  There were always "no shows" for every event we ran in Lucas Oil and that wasn't the case in the main hall.  We also had events that no one showed up for at all.  We also had some events that had just one person show up.  It was pretty sad.  

Overall we were pretty sad to be in Lucas Oil.  It directly impacted our attendance.  

We chatted and wondered why GenCon didn't put FFG or someone out there.  I mean, FFG could just take over Lucas Oil.  They would have room to run ALL their games and even have room for their own store out there.  I know from experience that a lot of people who play the FFG big tournaments don't really do other events, so I don't think it would really hurt any other attendance.  I know FFG probably wants to show the world they take up so much room and want to be front and center.  It probably makes more sense that they just put all their stuff in Lucas Oil, though.  

Normal
Small
Posted by brewski

FFG out there would be a huge draw, but I doubt they would want to leave front and center of the exhibit hall. 

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

It was much less crowded, and the games that my son played in (most were in LOS) didn't seem to have any amount of no-shows, but I didn't ask the GM's.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

Nascrag had more No-Shows than last year.  But we were in Lucas Oil both years, so I don't know that distance is the determining factor. 

Last year was the 50th anniversary, and the museum was in Lucas.  It didn't look like that huge of a draw though.

Normal
Small
Posted by bigjohn

I had a few events in LOS.  They went well for playing but attendance was low.  Only about half of the sold tickets showed up to the events I was in and there were no walk-ups with generics.  I thought travel time would be an issue with back to back events, but almost every event I had regardless of location ended at least 10 minutes early, giving plenty of time to get to another event.

I play mostly board games and miniatures, it was nice in previous years having all of them in the gaming hall (ICC hall A-E) so you can walk by and find more games to try.  Unfortunately I think the exhibit hall is going to keep expanding or leaking into the gaming hall.  Blizzard took up a large area this year and there were a lot more companies selling games and other stuff than I remember in previous years.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

LOS is better for gaming, really.  Let the ICC be for Vendors and cosplay contests and panels and seminars.

Normal
Small
Posted by dkrantz152

It may be better for gaming if you have a full group; it’s quiet and has a nicer, airy feel. It’s not better if you are hoping to grab some walk-by traffic. I ran 2 events there, and even with a table on the main aisle through the Purple gaming section, people just walking by and looking for a game to play were practically non-existent. In Halls A-D, I saw lots of people just wandering around, and sitting down to play if they saw something interesting.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

In most ways Lucas is better for gaming, except for the 1 way that we are graded on by gencon. Actual attendees!!!  As usual the vast majority of our sold out prior to gencon. We had a larger number of no shows than previous years alongside a drop in wanderers.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded dkrantz152

dkrantz152 wrote:
It may be better for gaming if you have a full group; it’s quiet and has a nicer, airy feel. It’s not better if you are hoping to grab some walk-by traffic. I ran 2 events there, and even with a table on the main aisle through the Purple gaming section, people just walking by and looking for a game to play were practically non-existent. In Halls A-D, I saw lots of people just wandering around, and sitting down to play if they saw something interesting.

This makes total sense to me.  I had posted somewhere else, kind of non-seriously, that they should have RPGs in the stadium, but thinking about what you say here, that might actually make sense, since those types of games probably rely less on 'walk-by' traffic than board games or miniatures games.  Just a thought. 

Normal
Small
Posted by sgibson260

My thought is that destination events should be in the outlying facilities. Examples to me would be true dungeon, pathfinder and d&d organized play, and the ccg events. These participants go specifically to those events, and ?I think? they are less reliant on/amenable to walk up players.
RPGs also rely on wslkups to some extent, but players seem to have gotten used to them being in scattered hotels. It aso seems to me that people will go wherever Blizzard and FFG are, so they could be placed outside of the ICC.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

It did seem nice for gaming, but FINDING things was not so good. We were late to the Artemis simulation not because we couldn't get to the stadium, but because once IN, it's like a maze and the HQ is INSIDE the main area instead of OUTSIDE where they can give directions, unless we missed it. 

They should have an HQ just after the tunnel. If they had one and I missed it, I apologize.

Normal
Small
Posted by bluemax

I pointed that there was a lack of signs to staff on Wednesday and they did have a security pointing to the field at least

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

The major problem seems to be a dual one 
a) The signage pointing the way to the Stadium gave no indication  of what was actually there -beyond the true dungeon -merely this way to the stadium 
b) Unless you were already  playing in a game there  -there was no incentive to wander that way .
All the activities at the Stadium were events that needed pre-planning 
miniatures ,true dungeon, seminars, etc

But none of the issues listed by posters are insurmountable ones ,IF Gen-Con wishes to improve the experience . But that will have to be something they want to  do -which they may not want to if one of  the persistent  rumors has any credence. 

Normal
Small
Posted by dkrantz152

All the activities at the Stadium were events that needed pre-planning  
miniatures ,true dungeon, seminars, etc

Not correct. My event was a card game with minimal setup time, and several of the events I saw around me were similar, not requiring setup or pre-planning.

It seems like many of the events in LOS, especially those in the Purple section were one-offs.. not associated with any particular company, just individuals running games.  While there was some of that in Halls A-D, a lot of the tables in those halls were allocated to companies like CMON, Blizzard, GF9, and others.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

I stand corrected -I should not have used the  word all.  Please substitute the following "The Majority of events ....."
I also meant pre-planning to attend NOT pre-planning for GM's . I thought it was clear by the context -if not then please understand  I meant pre-planning by the attendees NOT THE GM's  Location has(or should have ) minimal  effect on the pre-planning required by GM's-but your mileage may vary 

Based upon the event listing -The majority of events in LOS were not one-offs ,mostly gaming groups . But some things were not event listed ( the boardgame library didn't seem to be) 
Based upon photo evidence (multi  photos per day -taken at the same times(4 per day ) and from the same location ) show that the purples section contain less than 10% of attendees at any time .though the round ones were busier than the rectangles in the rear  But if you are in the middle of that section it may indeed seem more . 

I do believe that the purple section was indeed for 1 offs - But I didn't really go over there. 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post