Hotels for people who don't mind buses
Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

When I go to GenCon, I go alone, so a downtown hotel is out of the question, even with a good lottery draw, for two reasons; one, the cost; two, if you were sharing a downtown room with five other people, how would you feel if you heard that there was someone with a downtown room all to himself?

That being said, one of the things I look for in an "outlier" hotel is, how close is it to the nearest bus stop, and how often do the buses there run (especially on Sundays)?

I managed to stumble onto a group of hotels near a couple of bus routes that head downtown seven days a week, and are near a number of restaurants (e.g. Rally's, White Castle, Steak & Shake, Pizza Hutt, McDonald's, Firehouse Subs) and a WalMart (in case you need to get something - did I tell you about the time I arrived in Indy and discovered I didn't have any deodorant?), and is on both the 14 and 16 bus routes, although it is about 1/4 mile from some of the hotels to the nearest stop.
It's on the corner of Emerson and Victory, just south of I-465.  Note that this is south of downtown, so it is not part of the GenCon hotel block - at least, it wasn't the past few years.
In the area (ZIP code 46203):

• Red Roof Inn, Indianapolis South
  • Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast
  • La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis South
  • Super 8 Indianapolis

When I checked (in mid-October), the Holiday Inn was asking something like $145, and the others around $105.

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Before you get too excited, you might want to look at the timetables for those bus routes.  The last outbound run for the #14 bus leaves downtown at 9:26 pm.  The #16 bus stops running even earlier, and doesn't run at all on Sunday.

Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how all the buses run - there isn't much service after around 10 PM.

I found five routes that run through downtown where the last weekday bus leaves at 11:45 PM: numbers 5, 6, 8, 10, and 39.  Of those, I have only been able to find two non-downtown hotels so far on any of them:

Drury Plaza Hotel Indianapolis Carmel (on route 39), which I think is in the hotel block
Comfort Stay Inn Crossroads (on route 8)

Normal
Small
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

Still, if you can take a bus in one direction most days, and taxi/uber back, then that's at the very least saving some money on those taxi/uber trips you're not taking, or the parking you're not paying for.

Or, if there are enough of you to arrange some form of evening ride-share back?
​(Though that usually involves waiting for that one guy who doesn't answer his phone and turns up an hour late, in my experience)

Normal
Small
Posted by a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn? del_grande

del_grande wrote:
When I go to GenCon, I go alone, so a downtown hotel is out of the question, even with a good lottery draw, for two reasons; one, the cost; two, if you were sharing a downtown room with five other people, how would you feel if you heard that there was someone with a downtown room all to himself?

Is sole occupancy of a room that big a deal? 
(Genuine question - I've not run into any ill-feeling towards people who aren't sharing a room, but maybe I've just not been paying attention?)

I mean, i understand the cost thing, but i can't imagine anyone having a reaction much beyond "a room of your own sounds awesome; I'm sleeping in the bathtub in our room".

Normal
Small

it can be fun to run away wrote:
[/forums/33-travel-housing-and-dining-2018/topics/13035-hotels-for-people-who-don-t-mind-buses?page=1#42300ined] del_grande wrote:[/url]

(Genuine question - I've not run into any ill-feeling towards people who aren't sharing a room, but maybe I've just not been paying attention?)

In reality, who would know?  However, considering how many people refuse to go to GenCon unless they have a downtown hotel (and I am not talking about the ones that, for medical reasons, need one), even if they have to share with strangers, a downtown room with just one person in it is, as I like to say, "bad form."

Normal
Small
Posted by ematuskey

I almost went solo one year and had a room booked at the Downtown Marriott.  My conscience was clear because I was paying the whole bill myself (which was the reason I ended up /not/ going and released the room to someone coming in from overseas).  ;) 

But it's better to share costs so you have more money to spend onsite (and if money is no object be a real highroller and get a suite :D), which means if I ever go solo in the future, I'll probably stay near the airport or something, and take a cab/Lyft in. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 a dark rider on a pale ... unicorn?

it can be fun to run away wrote:
del_grande wrote:

(Genuine question - I've not run into any ill-feeling towards people who aren't sharing a room, but maybe I've just not been paying attention?)I mean, i understand the cost thing, but i can't imagine anyone having a reaction much beyond "a room of your own sounds awesome; I'm sleeping in the bathtub in our room".

Not at all.  It's 1 housing lottery entry per badge, all people have the same shot at a room, what you do with it is your business.

Besides - most downtown hotels have maximum occupancy rules of 4 adults per room.  It is much more in poor taste (not to mention possibly illegal and hazardous) to break the terms of your hotels agreement, putting undue burden on the cleaning staff and inconveniencing other guests by crowding beyond expected capacity than to go alone.

Normal
Small
Posted by armadilloal

Besides, most people don't give a hoot what's going in every other hotel room than their own, as long as it's not disrupting their room.  While I clearly don't know you from Adam, I suspect people that get a room for themselves are not the ones holding parties until God-knows-how-early-o'-clock, so most people would prefer to have you for a neighbor than someone trying to share a single shower and TV with five other people.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.