Change to Housing Policy
7 8 9 11
7 8 9 11
Normal
Small
Posted by roganca breye

breye wrote:
marimaccadmin wrote:
The statement "if you had skillz you could easily get a downtown connected room in the old system" is just not true.Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

It may be hyperbole, but, it isn't "just not true".My anecdotal experience...
Ahhhh, the key word: anecdotal.

Normal
Small
Posted by breye

I stand by my assertion - system mastery of the old system DID dramatically improve your ability to obtain a more favorable hotel room.

I would love to see added services such as wait lists and expanded (beyond the VIG program) loyalty programs.

Obtaining feedback is how we get better.

Normal
Small
Posted by dballing breye

breye wrote:
I stand by my assertion - system mastery of the old system DID dramatically improve your ability to obtain a more favorable hotel room.
I would love to see added services such as wait lists and expanded (beyond the VIG program) loyalty programs.

But that presume there is some reason to invest time and energy. If the housing block is selling out, and badges are flying off the shelves, then -- frankly -- there's no reason to expect any efforts improving this area because, without spending a dime of effort, all available inventory has sold. 

What's the financial upside to Gen Con for any sort of investment in change?

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam dballing

dballing wrote:
breye wrote:

But that presume there is some reason to invest time and energy. If the housing block is selling out, and badges are flying off the shelves, then -- frankly -- there's no reason to expect any efforts improving this area because, without spending a dime of effort, all available inventory has sold. What's the financial upside to Gen Con for any sort of investment in change?
Unless gencon moves in the future there is little incentive for changes. And it's unlikely to move.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

New policy is working. Lots of rooms available downtown way past the time frame they were available last year. All the doubles are gone currently but last year every downtown room was gone by 2:30. This year all the doubles didn't get taken till like 2:50.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
New policy is working. Lots of rooms available downtown way past the time frame they were available last year. All the doubles are gone currently but last year every downtown room was gone by 2:30. This year all the doubles didn't get taken till like 2:50.
they were obviously right to change the policy  seems like previously an excessive number of people bought multiple rooms they didn't really need.

Normal
Small
Posted by ploveking

I am curious what "skill" would cause a connection to an overloaded remote database to stay up when the back end server has stopped working, or the front end server has stopped working. I've been working with internets since the 1980s, and I don't know how to exert any control over a remote server that I don't have administrative access to, nor do I know how to control packet routing once the packet has left my home network. I got a connected room every time, but that was luck, and the waitlist, not any special skill that I have. Maybe the waitlist requires a bit of patience and persistence, but that's not skill.

Normal
Small
Posted by nikki

Downtown rooms lasted much longer this year. I think the new rules worked!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:New policy is working.

Agreed. Great change!

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by breye ploveking

ploveking wrote:
 I am curious what "skill" would cause a connection to an overloaded remote database to stay up when the back end server has stopped working, or the front end server has stopped working. I've been working with internets since the 1980s, and I don't know how to exert any control over a remote server that I don't have administrative access to, nor do I know how to control packet routing once the packet has left my home network. I got a connected room every time, but that was luck, and the waitlist, not any special skill that I have. Maybe the waitlist requires a bit of patience and persistence, but that's not skill.
Yes, server issues...there are ways to mitigate that even, but filling out an online form isn't much of a skill beyond the ability to type.
As you increased the amount of time you spent on the old portal, you increased the chance for something to go wrong at either end.
So you would do anything to reduce that amount of time.

Mostly, being prepared.
Knowing what you wanted in advance.
Having all of your information ready, and in some cases pre-typed.
Have a ready back up plan for hotels, know your alternates.

Beyond that, understand how to use the wait list.
Know other ways beyond the portal to find rooms, and know how the rates are affected.

It's fine if you don't want to consider Patience, Persistence and Preparation as skills, but know the system, its drawbacks and advantages was of value.

In the late Milwaukee days, you'd would have had an impossible time finding a downtown room in January, much less February and wouldn't have any methods to find out about cancellations beyond contacting each hotel directly.

I'm not much of a fan of the lottery, I think there are ways to tweak it, but it's been working. And the system has been having improvements made.

Now as far as some others contending that there is little incentive for Gen Con to continue to make improvements to the housing situation, "Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." Unique attendance at Gen Con was down (slightly) 2016 from 2015.  I haven't seen any unique attendee numbers for 2017, but the "turnstyle" numbers were up 4%. The same years comparison, Origins attendance (unique) had a similar slight down turn 2015 to 2016, but 2017 was up something like 10% from 2016.

I'm glad that some of this years changes have made things better even if they have created extra challenges for me at my end. I do believe it is important for us as a community to provide (as best we can, we're a snarky bunch of smart asses as a group) respectful feedback so that further improvements can be considered.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
7 8 9 11