Housing Confusion
Normal
Small
Posted by angela0117@gmail.com

Hi All! Newbie here and I am so confused about the housing. Right now, if I search for a hotel right by the convention center it shows only a few hotels and their prices are expensive. The rest of the hotels (even when I call) say they have no availability for that weekend. So, where will the housing be that I'm hoping to get in on? And, if I happen to get a room, what if it's the same cost as the ones showing now that are available. I really want (like so many, I'm sure) to stay within walking distance) I'm just not sure how this all works.
Thanks for any info anyone can send my way!

Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

Here's the "quick version":

Just about all of the hotel rooms in downtown Indianapolis, and quite a few in the surrounding areas, are set aside for GenCon's "hotel block."  The prices are much cheaper than what is being offered directly; I think the downtown rooms tend to go for about $200/night.

However, to get a room in the block, you have to go through GenCon's hotel reservation system.  That opens up on February 11, but you need to have already purchased a badge to be able to get in.  Everyone with a badge will be assigned a time at which the "housing portal" will be open and you can make a reservation.  Needless to say, the later your assigned time is, the less likely you are of being able to get a downtown room before they sell out.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

Even if you don't get a downtown hotel in the lottery, don't despair!  Just haunt the GenCon hotel block inventory in the months leading up to the convention and keep your eyes open for a downtown hotel that someone drops for whatever personal reasons.  They DO come up, but you have to be lucky to jump on it quick before others do.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust stiehle

stiehle wrote:
Even if you don't get a downtown hotel in the lottery, don't despair!  Just haunt the GenCon hotel block inventory in the months leading up to the convention and keep your eyes open for a downtown hotel that someone drops for whatever personal reasons.  They DO come up, but you have to be lucky to jump on it quick before others do.

Agreed, though I would say some of it's luck and some of it is making your own luck (keeping a vigilant eye on the page at all times you're able).

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 del_grande

del_grande wrote:I think the downtown rooms tend to go for about $200/night.

The hotel prices are here:
https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap#downtowncampus
With tax they're more like $250.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust selene314

selene314 wrote:

Yeah, can't forget the 17% tax on the room - that adds up to a decent chunk of change over the course of a GenCon stay.

Normal
Small
Posted by jpederso

Along with the downtown hotel price + tax, don't forget the cost of parking.  Last time I stayed downtown (2015), the hotel tacked on $22 per night for parking - and this wasn't a connected hotel.  I'm sure it's gone up since then.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I got by without having a car last summer - one of the reasons I was happy to get a downtown hotel after finding one available in the housing inventory a month before the con.  Unless you're driving to Indianapolis, if you're staying anywhere downtown there's no reason to have a car and pay for parking.

Normal
Small
Posted by nialith

Definitely check out Gate Ten when they open up events if you want a reasonable place to park that's close and much cheaper than the hotels parking. 

Normal
Small
Posted by swords13

Most hotels charge about 40 dollars a day for parking. Gate Ten or whatever they are called was like 89 for the whole con last year and they will shuttle you to your hotel. 

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

Gate 10 is definitely worth it.  I've used it for the past 2 years and had no trouble at all.

Normal
Small
Posted by dylanstarks

Do you pay up front for the hotel through the block or does it charge you when you check in?

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke dylanstarks

dylanstarks wrote:Do you pay up front for the hotel through the block or does it charge you when you check in?

You pay one night deposit in mid-July and the rest when you stay.

Normal
Small
Posted by leafeonite

I have a hotel reserved in case this whole housing situation doesn't work out.

Question: If I want to find a gencon roommate and not want to pay for the whole room myself, is that an option for housing? I've never done it before.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Lots of people do it. 

My suggestion is after housing closes (and you have a room), post here and on Facebook (eg fans of gencon) for roommates in your room. You'll also see others posting.

If you have a downtown room it will be faster/easier to find roommates

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65 father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
selene314 wrote:

Yeah, can't forget the 17% tax on the room - that adds up to a decent chunk of change over the course of a GenCon stay.
I checked out the JW Marriot through Expedia, they want $679 a night!!!

Normal
Small
Posted by timmontana

Another question about how the hotel block works. Is it best to group myself in the system with my friend or best to not associate myself with him when it comes to the random lottery time?

EDIT: Looks like I have found my answer. No need to respond.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

It depends on how the badges were purchased.  If you purchased both badges, than you will only get 1 time slot.  If each of you purchased the badge (and have a separate GenCon account) than each of you will received a time.

I don't think identifying yourself as a friend with someone will impact the housing as long as each person has a separate GenCon account.

At least this is how I think it works.

Normal
Small
Posted by dylanstarks

If I go through the block can I book Tuesday through Sunday? Thanks 

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

I believe you can only reserve Thursday through Sunday.  Then at a later date, they will open up other days (ie T, W, and following Monday).

Sign in to write a new post. New Post