Marriott Hotels and Points
Normal
Small
Posted by ripster82000

Has anyone been able to use their Marriott Rewards points this year or in past years to book their room with a downtown location? Mine says the dates are blocked off for points, but will allow you to book via cash.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

I checked with the housing coordinator.

Points and Reward programs are up to the Hotel, and they won't have your information until after the Housing Registration period ends and they get sent the information. 

Hotels might not allow points because the rooms are already discounted at special group rates. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by thejoltess

We used to do this a few years ago. The first year we tried to use Marriot Rewards, we had booked the room through the housing portal and asked if we could use our points to pay. We were told we had to book our room with points earlier and they only hold so many rooms for members. The following year we had to book our room in November, right after Gen Con. We were able to secure another booking through the portal and then had to call the hotel to merge the two bookings together so we could use our points for as many nights as we could, and the remaining nights were the housing rate. 

We were able to do this twice in a row; however they then changed the star rating on the hotel we usually went to (Courtyard) and we were no longer allowed to use the one free night based on its rating. Since it was upgraded, we knew there was no way we personally could accumulate enough points for free nights and dropped membership. 

So long story short; you will need to call hotel and book with points, assuming they have any rooms left to be able to do so. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I used Marriott points last year, however, it wasn't an option on their website until after block housing sold out.  It popped up as an option a few days after their housing block sold out.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

I got very lucky one year and managed to snag a room with Marriott points at the SpringHill Suites.

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes rayken

rhone1 wrote:
I used Marriott points last year, however, it wasn't an option on their website until after block housing sold out.  It popped up as an option a few days after their housing block sold out.
rayken wrote:
I got very lucky one year and managed to snag a room with Marriott points at the SpringHill Suites.

Also, remember that Marriott and Starwood (the parent company of The Westin) have merged.
As of September, 2017, the rewards programs have yet to be combined.  They may have completed that since the last time I checked.

Normal
Small
Posted by davechri

You can get Courtyard at Capitol with points right now.  About 5 blocks away?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.