Transportation to the Con from hotel
Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

WHat is the best way to get to the con from one of the outlying hotels? I have the La Quinta motel near the airport booked, about 7 miles away,  (until I can see what i can get in the housing lottery) and I was hoping to learn if Uber or a cab would be better to get there. This year will be my first time to Gen Con at Indianapoils.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

One thing to note about cabs in Indy.  The fare is set by each cab company and can vary from 2.95 to get in up to 4.95 to get in.

It was a surprise when i found that out.

Trav

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:
WHat is the best way to get to the con from one of the outlying hotels? I have the La Quinta motel near the airport booked, about 7 miles away,  (until I can see what i can get in the housing lottery) and I was hoping to learn if Uber or a cab would be better to get there. This year will be my first time to Gen Con at Indianapoils.
I would use the cab. Uber has problems not the least of which is surge pricing. 

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

You're looking at about $20 each way for 4 days, a price of $160 or so. Now if you can split it with roommates, that'd make it easier. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

I've found that asking a hotel door man is a reliable way to get a cab hailed quickly when at Gencon. 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam rodoubleb

rodoubleb wrote:
I've found that asking a hotel door man is a reliable way to get a cab hailed quickly when at Gencon. 
walking across to the Hyatt works well.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

You could consider Park 10 option.  They have a lot of space for cars and are about a half mile walk form the stadium.

Normal
Small
Posted by pinheadjo

For two years we used gate ten and drove ourselves from the Crown Plaza at the airport. Never took longer than 12 minutes either way, and with the continual 24 hour shuttles from the lot to the con it was easy and cheap. Was $75 for unlimited in and out for Wed-Sunday. Never had any problems at all. SO easy we even went out to the airport area for lunch every day...no crowds at all.

Normal
Small
Posted by cjwynes

When I Uber'ed in from Southport in 2016 (which is a little further distance than airport, but in other direction), round trip was about $25-28 ($12-15 each way).  Friday night I ate surge pricing but could have dodged it if I'd waited another 30 minutes or so (and the driver confessed to me that Lyft was NOT surged at the time, but I hadn't checked it.)  Never had a wait time more than 4 minutes from downtown, and worst from Southport was 10.  Getting dropped off at right at the center is MUCH more convenient than having to walk to a parked car if you don't need the parked car for storage space.

I can't imagine using a traditional taxicab anymore, I do see a few downtown mostly in the loading areas of hotels, but rarely just passing down the street as they would after a major sporting event.  To get any kind of a good deal out of a cabbie, they have to be competing for fares, but that doesn't seem to be the case at GenCon, and you're going too far to talk somebody into a flat rate for a quick trip.  

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

You could also work something out with a Indy local that is going to Gen Con.  For a small fee you should be able to find someone to drive you where you need to go.

I've also used Uber numerous times in the past and have never had an issues.

Normal
Small
Posted by dragon2599

A Gate 10 parking pass and gas money is probably your cheapest bet. I bought one last year and plan on doing so again this year. We never had any problems getting a spot at any time and never waited more than fifteen minutes for the shuttle to or from the ICC. It's also great to have a place to drop off large loot hauls instead of either carrying them around all day or running back to where you're staying and trying to rush back before missing an event. Last year they had it listed in the event registration for Wednesday to Sunday for $70 as well as shorter passes for a smaller price. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.