Bars and Dining...
Normal
Small
Posted by brooks aldctjoc

aldctjoc wrote:
brooks wrote:Two or three years ago I remember walking past a southern-inspired restaurant named Georgia "something" and didn't have time to stop by. During GenCon 50 I was going to try it out, but couldn't seem to find the place/remember exactly where it was.
Has anyone been there?

Georgia Reese's? Unfortunately it closed. Even more unfortunately, the website's still up and looks current, so it's easy to get confused.I never got a chance to go. I heard excellent things about it.

Thanks for the information aldcjoc and links, although it's unfortunate the place closed down. That will teach me take advantage of something when I stumble across it instead of waiting until a year or two later. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

My first gencon in 2010 I did Fogo DE Chau with a large group from this forum. It kindled a love of Brazilian bbq. If you haven't ever experienced it. Do it. Just make sure to get reservations about a week ahead due to how busy gencon gets. (If we want to arrange a forum group i'd be down for that)

Scotty's is good and they have dice if you get there early enough, but I got tired of waiting an hour+ just to get a table, even late at night. Worth going at least once, but try for off times if you can.

The Weber grill was pretty good (a small chain), and the wait wasn't bad in 2016 (only 20min)

​​​​​​Indy downtown really does have good eats. The trick is getting in within a reasonable time :)

​​​​

Normal
Small
Posted by carse ritorix

ritorix wrote:
There's also a really neat beer tour event (I did it 2 years ago), they take you around to a handful of local breweries to sample the goods. Definitely a fun time.
I did this last year and plan to do another one this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn divachelle

divachelle wrote:
Buca is a fave. We get takeout from there every year.
Giordano's is a must. Their pizza and appetizers are delightful.
If you're into typical fast food, there's a food court in the mall, as well as some other offerings: 
Mall Restaurants
I want to try the Irish pub this year, Claddagh's.
We typically do Scotty's on Wednesday before the herd arrives.
Our fave was the Colt's Grille, but, sadly, they closed.
Kilroy's was just a bit better than average, but they delivered to our hotel, so that was nice.
The Colt's Grill is being replaced by Tony's Steakhouse.
Tony's Steakhouse

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn steffles

steffles wrote:
Patachou is a great breakfast or lunch place (like really great).  We like Barcelona Tapas and Nada.  I refuse to go to Palamino again...too expensive and not so great.   I'm looking forward to branching out myself this year:)
Barcelona Tapas has closed.
BARcelona Tapas

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

How about a good breakfast place that serves a good sized brunch....so we can skip lunch

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:
How about a good breakfast place that serves a good sized brunch....so we can skip lunch

We always go to The JW Marriott.  Higher priced then some places but great selection and I have not gotten anything off the buffet that I have had issue with yet.
Osteria Pronto

Normal
Small
Posted by cincinatas

If you're looking for a good breakfast/brunch place Pearings is fantastic. Their savory crepes are great and they do not skimp on the fillings. Their smoothies are always extremely tasty (with and without whey) and their coffee is well made. They are a little on the pricier side but for the quality and sourcing of a lot of their ingredients they are very reasonably priced. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

The JW buffet in the mornings is a good start. Due to the cost (around $25) most people don't go there, and it is typically a lot of vendors/GM teams eating there.

Food includes a made for you omlette bar, made for you waffles, all kinds of cereal/milk/fresh fruit, sausages, eggs, smoked salmon, etc.

It is really good. But the cost does add up. That said, if you skip lunch, it becomes reasonable. :)  I'll likely be there a fair amount.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam keithbradburn

keithbradburn wrote:
divachelle wrote:
If you're into typical fast food, there's a food court in the mall, as well as some other offerings: 
Mall Restaurants
Kilroy's was just a bit better than average, but they delivered to our hotel, so that was nice.
Tony's Steakhouse
Looks interesting.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust squirecam

squirecam wrote:
keithbradburn wrote:
divachelle wrote:
Mall Restaurants
Tony's Steakhouse
Looks interesting.
Be prepared to pay out the nose. Looks like you can't get a steak there for anything under $49.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
squirecam wrote:
keithbradburn wrote:
divachelle wrote:
Mall Restaurants
Tony's Steakhouse
Looks interesting.
Be prepared to pay out the nose. Looks like you can't get a steak there for anything under $49.
Our group has gone to Ruth's Chris for the past 3 years. If the food is better, but a bit more expensive, I dont think it would stop us.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Last year for breakfast we just brought our own cereal, breakfast bars, and yogurt. Then we would go out for lunch and dinner.

Stinks that most downtown hotels don't provide free breakfast. So odd to me, pay more for less free things compared to the outer hotels. But that's just the way it is.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

All the cool stuff is on Washington Street.  Somehow after living here for 16 months I still haven't explored any of the sit down places.  But they all look cool.

You can get to the Circle Center Mall via skyway from the convention center.  There's a food court there, but no booze.  Circle Center Mall opens up onto Washington Street via one of its exits, although I can never really figure out which one from inside the mall.  I usually exit from the Arts Garden, which is connected to the mall.

Oh and there's some weird kiosk in the mall that only sells corn (off the cob).  I haven't been to the mall for a few months (it's too damn cold to walk there), so I'm not sure if it's closed yet.  That's more of a hearty snack than a meal though.  And it's right next to a frogurt store.

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes

My two go-to places to go for dinner during Gen Con are The Claddagh Irish Pub and Scotty's Brewhouse.  If I need some place close to the ICC, I'll tend to go to Noodles & Company.

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar helenbb

helenbb wrote:
We tried Shula's (a steakhouse) last year for dinner. It was going to be a splurge. Then we got there and they had a GenCon menu for about $30 per person that was very reasonable, including an appetizer, entree and dessert. Great food and atmosphere for the price, plus it was super convenient, being right in the Westin. The best recommendation I can give is that we're going back there again this year. 
where is that?  We have  Shula's here in Baltimore and the food was great!

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn kidlidar

kidlidar wrote:
helenbb wrote:
We tried Shula's (a steakhouse) last year for dinner. It was going to be a splurge. Then we got there and they had a GenCon menu for about $30 per person that was very reasonable, including an appetizer, entree and dessert. Great food and atmosphere for the price, plus it was super convenient, being right in the Westin. The best recommendation I can give is that we're going back there again this year. 
where is that?  We have  Shula's here in Baltimore and the food was great!
It is in the Westin.

Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey

I don't understand all the love for Scotty's.  We went twice last year.  The first time we never got served and left after 20 minutes of being ignored.  They didn't even look that busy.  Gave them a second chance a day or two later.  Again, they were not very busy when we showed up.  We did get served, but the service was terrible, the food was cold and frankly overpriced for the quality.  

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle pcorey

pcorey wrote:
I don't understand all the love for Scotty's.  We went twice last year.  The first time we never got served and left after 20 minutes of being ignored.  They didn't even look that busy.  Gave them a second chance a day or two later.  Again, they were not very busy when we showed up.  We did get served, but the service was terrible, the food was cold and frankly overpriced for the quality.  
Three years ago, we had very nearly the same experience both at Scotty's and at the Ram.

We gave Scotty's another try last year (mainly bc we were running games there on Wednesday all day), and the food and service were much improved, so much so that we ate there twice.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr pcorey

pcorey wrote:

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. I went to Scotty's last year on Wednesday to beat the GenCon crowds, and the service was slow-ish and the cheeseburger was warm-ish. I won't be going back there again.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post