Gen Con Housing Registration 2018 (Pinned)
Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Gen Con 2018 Housing Registration 

Each year, Gen Con and its housing partner Q-Rooms work with local lodging companies in the Indianapolis metro to reserve the most discounted housing possible for the upcoming convention. This housing is then offered to attendees via a Housing Portal. Given the increasing popularity and enthusiasm for Gen Con, each year, housing is in increasingly high-demand, particularly in the downtown area surrounding the convention center. Gen Con’s Housing Portal isn’t your only means of securing lodging in and around Indy, but it does provide the most convenient, affordable option for thousands of attendees.  

For more information on housing you can access the Housing FAQ Here.

If you have specific questions not answered in the FAQ you can ask the below!

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Really like the changes you guys made to the housing lottery this year Mike.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

If you did not receive an email from us and you have purchased a badge on your account. It is possible that the email either bounced or that it was filtered or spammed by you account.

Please check your My Housing page to see what time you were assigned.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC 

Normal
Small
Posted by triad3204

Can I just mention that "I need a room for 4 people" leading to "here's a room with 1 bed" makes it seem as if Gen Con does not fully understand how sleeping works.

Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey

So my excitement at getting access to the housing portal so early apparently made my brain short circuit.  First I booked a room at the Springhill Suites in Carmel instead of downtown.  Then I panicked and canceled the room and booked something downtown.  Ugh!  Any chance of getting my $50 refunded?

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke triad3204

triad3204 wrote:Can I just mention that "I need a room for 4 people" leading to "here's a room with 1 bed" makes it seem as if Gen Con does not fully understand how sleeping works.

Some rooms with single beds have pull out couches, so can comfortably sleep four.

Normal
Small
Posted by dranthor

how are you going to adapt for people like me There are no long close hotel rooms and I use a scooter to get around. Putting it in and out of a car is not possible. Looks like if this isn't  fixed I might not be going to gen con.  I don't have someone to put it in and take it out of the car each day.  was planning to have it delivered to hotel and go back and forth from close area.  Now I'm 8 miles away no way I can do that.  Please help 
Pam Lindstrom

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer dranthor

dranthor wrote:
how are you going to adapt for people like me There are no long close hotel rooms and I use a scooter to get around. Putting it in and out of a car is not possible. Looks like if this isn't  fixed I might not be going to gen con.  I don't have someone to put it in and take it out of the car each day.  was planning to have it delivered to hotel and go back and forth from close area.  Now I'm 8 miles away no way I can do that.  Please help 
Pam Lindstrom

Hello Pam,

You should keep looking for a closer option through the portal. You can search for closer properties from now through mid-July.
If one becomes available (as they do) you should book it.

Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by brellstormforge austicke

austicke wrote:
triad3204 wrote:Can I just mention that "I need a room for 4 people" leading to "here's a room with 1 bed" makes it seem as if Gen Con does not fully understand how sleeping works.

Some rooms with single beds have pull out couches, so can comfortably sleep four._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
Most people are so happy to get a downtown room that they don't care if they have to sleep in a bathtub :) We are four big guys, it's very rare that we get two beds. We sleep 2 in the king, 1 on the pullout (you could do 2 on the pullout), and I bring a very comfortable air mattress that the hotel is happy to give me pillows and blankets for. You can pretty easily fit 2 small air mattresses in most rooms. They make very comfortable ones that don't cost much. As high demand as rooms are, it's helpful to think outside of the boxspring. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey pcorey

pcorey wrote:
So my excitement at getting access to the housing portal so early apparently made my brain short circuit.  First I booked a room at the Springhill Suites in Carmel instead of downtown.  Then I panicked and canceled the room and booked something downtown.  Ugh!  Any chance of getting my $50 refunded?
I'm guessing the lack of a response means I will not be granted leniency for my moment of stupidity?

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Your best bet is to contact Customer Service: 

Normal
Small
Posted by bhaalspawn

"You should keep looking for a closer option through the portal. You can search for closer properties from now through mid-July.If one becomes available (as they do) you should book it.Mike Boozer 
Gen Con LLC"

How do I view if there are openings if I already reserved a room?  I would happily cancel it if another one opened closer, but all I can do is view my current one or cancel it, not view new ones.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke bhaalspawn

bhaalspawn wrote:How do I view if there are openings if I already reserved a room?

Go to My Housing and then click on your reservation. Select Modify and view other rooms.

Despite the scary warning, it won't change your reservation until you confirm.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________

Normal
Small
Posted by otthawk1

Question here for Game Companies / Large Groups / etc 

We here at Aerodrome game for example have 12 people coming into GenCon .. have been now for 5 years .. and most of us have attended for over 25 years :)

Unfortunately , the 3 of us that bought badges , 3 paid for 12 badges for GMs so the 3 of us could book more then 1 room, did not get a Hotel time sooner then 7:30 .. so no downtown rooms .. we have been lucky the last couple years and have managed to snag some before the event.

My Question is this: How can Game Companies like ours guarantee we get down town rooms ? Is there something set up for groups like ours ? .. I have been attending for 25 years now .. and through some luck managed to get Aerodrome games up, its been a rough 5 years trying to get rooms downtown so we do not have to move the dozen large trunks back and forth .. lucky the did let us chain them to the tables last year.

Alex 

Normal
Small
Posted by marimaccadmin otthawk1

otthawk1 wrote:
Question here for Game Companies / Large Groups / etc 
We here at Aerodrome game for example have 12 people coming into GenCon .. have been now for 5 years .. and most of us have attended for over 25 years :)
Unfortunately , the 3 of us that bought badges , 3 paid for 12 badges for GMs , did not get a Hotel time sooner then 7:30 .. so no downtown rooms .. we have been lucky the last couple years and have managed to snag some before the event.
My Question is this: How can Game Companies like ours guarantee we get down town rooms ? Is there something set up for groups like ours ? .. I have been attending for 25 years now .. and through some luck managed to get Aerodrome games up, its been a rough 5 years trying to get rooms downtown so we do not have to move the dozen large trunks back and forth .. lucky the did let us chain them to the tables last year.
Alex 

Gaming groups are not guaranteed downtown rooms, but you should review the Event Host Policy for information on how a gaming group, not a company, can potentially qualify for a room in the GM housing block:

http://files.gencon.com/genconeventhostpolicy.pdf

Marian McBrine
Event Coordinator
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by kythrosd austicke

austicke wrote:

Some rooms with single beds have pull out couches, so can comfortably sleep four._____________________________________
Don't Agree.  Sadly, inventory is limited; suites are locked out of inventory or unavailable altogether. If you have a group with a few singles or a group of 5, there are NO options for you in Indianapolis proper. The only room, available only to premier group (platinum) hotel members was a suite at $1000/night. These are unaccessible to the general public

Typical suites type locations- homewood and the like- or even suites at "traditional" hotels are across the board unavailable....and there was no indication anywhere in the Gencon provided housing information ahead of lottery opening. 

Frustrated? yes. I get this is about generating profit. We are willing to pay more for a suite and be responsible hotel guests. And yet....no. Our group is about to rage quit this con. We travel literally across the nation to attend and this housing situation is just nuts. 

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle kythrosd

kythrosd wrote:
austicke wrote:

Don't Agree.  Sadly, inventory is limited; suites are locked out of inventory or unavailable altogether. If you have a group with a few singles or a group of 5, there are NO options for you in Indianapolis proper. The only room, available only to premier group (platinum) hotel members was a suite at $1000/night. These are unaccessible to the general publicTypical suites type locations- homewood and the like- or even suites at "traditional" hotels are across the board unavailable....and there was no indication anywhere in the Gencon provided housing information ahead of lottery opening. 
Frustrated? yes. I get this is about generating profit. We are willing to pay more for a suite and be responsible hotel guests. And yet....no. Our group is about to rage quit this con. We travel literally across the nation to attend and this housing situation is just nuts. 
Just a suggestion...you can play with the dates. Embassy downtown has corner king suites right now - one king and one pullout couch per room, plus the rooms are HUGE - for very near block price if you go 7/28 through 8/6. Yes, it may cost you an extra night or two, but it's better than rack rate robbery for $500+ per room per night.

Good luck!

Normal
Small
Posted by fathermay mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
dranthor wrote:
Pam Lindstrom

Hello Pam,You should keep looking for a closer option through the portal. You can search for closer properties from now through mid-July.
If one becomes available (as they do) you should book it.
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

I'm in a similar situation-however, when I click "manage my reservation" I don't see an option to search again. What am I missing? (I have reserved, but want to be closer.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice fathermay

fathermay wrote:I'm in a similar situation-however, when I click "manage my reservation" I don't see an option to search again. What am I missing? (I have reserved, but want to be closer.

After clicking "Manage My Reservation" and accepting the message that redirects you to the Housing Portal, you should see your existing reservation over a map.  It has two options: "Modify" and "Cancel".

Click "Modify".  You'll get a scary warning telling you that you are subject to cancellation fees, etc.  Read it and then Accept it.

You will then see the details of your existing reservation.  Next to "Hotel", click the "Modify" button.  You're now back in the Housing Portal Inventory - just like you were the very first time.  You can adjust parameters, search for hotels, etc. and as long as you don't go through the whole process and confirm a new hotel, you haven't changed anything.

If you *do* change something, this isn't a cancellation.  It is still just a modification to your existing reservation - so no fee.  Why? Because your housing registration hasn't actually been passed to the hotel yet.  If you call them, they won't know who you are.

If you cancel the actual housing portal registration, then you pay a fee.

Once the registration is passed to the hotels - sometime in July - then it is between you and the hotel and the Gen Con housing portal is no longer involved.

Hope that helps.

Normal
Small
Posted by dranthor

dropped my hotel 8 miles out. Got lucky going with a friend who got good houseing on lottery.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post