Debit (VISA) cards ok for booking rooms?
Normal
Small
Posted by shinton

I keep seeing "Credit card" but we are planning on using our Debit (VISA) card to book our room?  I think that is what I have done in the past but would be nice to confirm this before panic sets in tomorrow?

It has 2020 expiration date, and no issues if they go ahead and charge something ahead of time, but I don't think they do anything except a 'soft' confirmation on the card?

I appreciate any feedback to confirm you are using your debit card to book rooms in past folks?

Thx
Sam

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

As a rule, I never use a debit card to reserve a hotel room.  I've read too many horror stories.

Normal
Small
Posted by sjenks

Normal
Small
Posted by sjenks

I use my debit card every year no problem as long as it is not expired. 

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

I am not sure about paying for the room with a debit card. I think you should have no issue. I have seen where a hotel will put a several hundred dollar charge on a debit card when you use it to check in just to make sure there is enough to cover incidentals that occur during the stay. That has been known to mess up people's accounts.

Personally, I do not understand why everyone does not have at least one small balance credit card for times such as this. Giving someone access to a credit card is miles apart than giving them access to all the money in a particular account is my opinion. That does not mean we should live off credit, just have it for emergencies or occasions like this.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
I am not sure about paying for the room with a debit card. I think you should have no issue. I have seen where a hotel will put a several hundred dollar charge on a debit card when you use it to check in just to make sure there is enough to cover incidentals that occur during the stay. That has been known to mess up people's accounts.
Personally, I do not understand why everyone does not have at least one small balance credit card for times such as this. Giving someone access to a credit card is miles apart than giving them access to all the money in a particular account is my opinion. That does not mean we should live off credit, just have it for emergencies or occasions like this.

I use my CC for everything and then pay it in full every month just like using a Debit card. For one it protects my checking account in case someone gets a hold of the cc information and two, I get travel points. I just used my venture card to pay for a full vacation we’re taking in April with points I’ve earned from the last 2 years. I highly recommend this method, as you’re spending the money anyways, you might as well get something free out of it.

Normal
Small
Posted by shinton sjenks

sjenks wrote:
I use my debit card every year no problem as long as it is not expired. 

Thank you, just wanted to confirm! 

FYI ,yes we have credit cards too, but we choose to fund from our company account, thx.  Easier to ZELLE the cash back and forth between ourselves, paypal, etc.  Zero worries about cash not being there if they hit the account on an unexpected day, freeze/"hold" cash when we check in and such. 

We had issue one year where they (hotel) put a $1000 hold on one of the guys card, and naturally that was the cash he was expecting to use to buy games, and such during the vacation.  So now we use an alternative account that is not any of our primary / personal accounts.

Thx again folks!
Sam

New Post Sign in to write a new post.