Marriott - Construction Done??
Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21

Does anyone know if the construction that was going on last year at the downtown Marriott has been completed?  Also, I know that visibly they were updating the lobby and front of the hotel, but did they also update the rooms?  Any info is appreciated!

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

As of last year, the rooms had all been renovated.  I stayed there, and the rooms were very nice!  The construction in the lobby was only mildly annoying, as I always used the skywalk on the 2nd level to get around.  I do believe the construction was supposed to have finished last winter, so I'd imagine they're all done.  Again, was a very nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff.  I ate breakfast every morning in their little restaurant (it was good food, reasonable price), and they even had a Starbucks in the lobby!  I don't go for coffee myself, but it seemed quite popular.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 stiehle

stiehle wrote:
As of last year, the rooms had all been renovated.  I stayed there, and the rooms were very nice!  The construction in the lobby was only mildly annoying, as I always used the skywalk on the 2nd level to get around.  I do believe the construction was supposed to have finished last winter, so I'd imagine they're all done.  Again, was a very nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff.  I ate breakfast every morning in their little restaurant (it was good food, reasonable price), and they even had a Starbucks in the lobby!  I don't go for coffee myself, but it seemed quite popular.
Thanks for the info Stiehle.  I actually just read that the construction is still ongoing but is supposed to be completed by June.  I certainly hope so, but won't risk booking here if I have other options.  I don't have confidence that projects like this get completed on time.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Which one?  I think there's a Mariott, a Courtyard by Marriott, and the big shiny JW Marriott.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
Which one?  I think there's a Mariott, a Courtyard by Marriott, and the big shiny JW Marriott.
It's the downtown Marriott, connected to and directly across the street from the convention center.  Their address is 350 W Maryland St, Indianapolis, IN 46225.  I actually tried to call them and ask about the construction twice now but both times they must have been too busy to pick up their phone.  :-(

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
It's the downtown Marriott, connected to and directly across the street from the convention center.  Their address is 350 W Maryland St, Indianapolis, IN 46225.  I actually tried to call them and ask about the construction twice now but both times they must have been too busy to pick up their phone.  :-(

I think both the Marriott and JW Marriott are both directly connected to the convention center.  But with that address it sounds like you're talking about the older Mariott.  I'll try to stop by and do a visual inspection and let you know.

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg

All construction is to be wrapped up around the time of Gencon.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
All construction is to be wrapped up around the time of Gencon.
I sure hope so.  Last year it was a mess.  I appreciate any updated info!

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc

It would have to be the older Marriott, the one next to the Westin. Not the big JW Marriott. Only the former had any construction going on recently.

When I was in Indianapolis last November for business, the Marriott lobby shows some obvious construction work still going on. But, lots could've changed since then, and it's still a while before the con. This is just my personal opinion, but I'd be surprised if they weren't finished by August. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I stayed at the Marriott a couple of weeks ago.  Room construction is completely done and the lobby will be done soon (definitely within the next couple of months).  The front desk person I asked said that she thought that it would be completely finished by late spring.  I stayed there last year during Gen Con and it was fine.

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
I stayed at the Marriott a couple of weeks ago.  Room construction is completely done and the lobby will be done soon (definitely within the next couple of months).  The front desk person I asked said that she thought that it would be completely finished by late spring.  I stayed there last year during Gen Con and it was fine.
Construction is slated to be fully completed by early 3rd quarter. Which is sometime in July.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

Yep, it was the older Marriott I stayed at last summer.  But the rooms were REALLY nice.  Fully refurbished and comfortable beds  - also never heard any construction noise, though admittedly my days were spent away from the room (obviously!)  Surprised the construction is still going!  Still, it wasn't that bad, IMO.  Mostly getting inside after the ride from the airport was a pain, after that I stuck to the skywalk on the second floor and only had to deal with the construction on the main floor when I went to the restaurant for the breakfast each morning.  It wasn't terrible inconvenient at the time, though I've no idea how much the construction has spread since last summer.  Glad to hear they'll have it done by August! 

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 gib_rebeg

gib_rebeg wrote:
rhone1 wrote:
Construction is slated to be fully completed by early 3rd quarter. Which is sometime in July.
Hopefully they are able to stay on schedule and get it done in July.  Thanks everyone for the updates!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.