Outer Hotels
Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

So I tried to search a thread like this.  Can anyone tell me their experience of staying in a non-downtown room and late night gaming.  We got a 4pm lottery.  We have always stayed downtown.   My teens like to stay up till all hours playing Werewolf and my husband doesn't - so I worry about safety.   Can someone share a positive non-downtown experience where late night gaming is involved?  I'm assuming 2am Uber is a good and safe option to get to the outer hotels.

We have an out of block downtown room, but it will be $500 at night after taxes and parking and that is feeling really out of control.  I'm not sure if I can stomach that amount especially knowing much of the hotel is paying half that amount.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978

Uber requires its passengers to be 18 or over.

Lots of drivers don't enforce this, but if your teens will be unchaperoned it may be an issue.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

I have stayed in remote hotels the last two years and it has been fine. However, we drive to Indianapolis, so I have a car. We also arrive around 7:30 in the morning and do not leave until 1:00 AM or so.

basically the hotel is just a place to sleep for 5 to 6 hours and clean up everyday. Otherwise, we don’t use it, even when we had downtown rooms.

The parking is great and close for us. You can put stuff in the car or go get it, purchases, cosplay, etc.

i have had very few issues staying in a remote hotel and it can be a great experience if you plan and everyone is understanding.

Normal
Small
Posted by jishosan

We also stayed at outer hotels and used Uber. Late night gaming was hit or miss, but there are three of us (myself and two teen sons) and so we can always game. :) 

This year we're doing the Ironworks hotel. We thought it looked really cool, so that's just a neat thing to add to the experience. 

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded jishosan

jishosan wrote:
We also stayed at outer hotels and used Uber. Late night gaming was hit or miss, but there are three of us (myself and two teen sons) and so we can always game. :) 
This year we're doing the Ironworks hotel. We thought it looked really cool, so that's just a neat thing to add to the experience. 

It does look really cool

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

We've stayed in outlying hotels before and had little issue - even the year we used the now non-existent shuttle. I do enjoy staying downtown so I can run back to the hotel anytime I want to. This year, however, we're at the airport so, back to one run there and back. :) 

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I honestly wouldn't pay double the price of an outlying hotel to stay downtown just so the teens can stay up late gaming. The convention center seems fairly safe 24/7 during the convention since there are always gamers and even some staff hanging around. My recommendation would be to get an Uber to pick up an adult at the hotel, drive to the ICC to get the kids and then drive you back to the hotel. I'm not sure how to set that up in the app but I'm sure it's doable. That'll probably be a $40 trip or so but still way less than you'd be paying at the downtown hotel. 

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles ytuni

ytuni wrote:
I honestly wouldn't pay double the price of an outlying hotel to stay downtown just so the teens can stay up late gaming. The convention center seems fairly safe 24/7 during the convention since there are always gamers and even some staff hanging around. My recommendation would be to get an Uber to pick up an adult at the hotel, drive to the ICC to get the kids and then drive you back to the hotel. I'm not sure how to set that up in the app but I'm sure it's doable. That'll probably be a $40 trip or so but still way less than you'd be paying at the downtown hotel. 
Thanks Ytuni.  We actually got Candlewood Suites - which is about 3 miles away.  Too far to walk but only about a 10-15 minute car ride.  I still have that $500 a night hotel...

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman steffles

steffles wrote:
ytuni wrote:
Thanks Ytuni.  We actually got Candlewood Suites - which is about 3 miles away.  Too far to walk but only about a 10-15 minute car ride.  I still have that $500 a night hotel...

That round trip idea sounds a lot like getting in your own car and picking up the kids.  If you have your car in the hotel lot of your  outlying hotel, just go pick up the kids yourself.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Dealing with the housing lottery and prices downtown are too much for me, so I always stay at the Candlewood by the airport and get a ride. I've never had a problem getting home safely in the early hours, and a couple times I don't really remember the ride back that well. :) Had a less-than-great experience with a late-night Uber driver last year, and there are actual cabs waiting around all over, so I think it would be worth considering just getting a traditional cab (I also don't think they have any age restrictions). A cab driver also pointed out to me they are insured specifically to cover passengers should an accident happen, whereas with Uber/Lyft the area is more gray. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni nascragman

nascragman wrote:
steffles wrote:
ytuni wrote:

That round trip idea sounds a lot like getting in your own car and picking up the kids.  If you have your car in the hotel lot of your  outlying hotel, just go pick up the kids yourself.
Yeah, that suggestion was assuming they were out-of-towners and don't bring their car.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop fethbone

fethbone wrote:
Dealing with the housing lottery and prices downtown are too much for me, so I always stay at the Candlewood by the airport and get a ride. I've never had a problem getting home safely in the early hours, and a couple times I don't really remember the ride back that well. :) Had a less-than-great experience with a late-night Uber driver last year, and there are actual cabs waiting around all over, so I think it would be worth considering just getting a traditional cab (I also don't think they have any age restrictions). A cab driver also pointed out to me they are insured specifically to cover passengers should an accident happen, whereas with Uber/Lyft the area is more gray. 

So anecdote, the scariest cab ride of my life was at GenCon Indy 2010. Arrived late at night, the cabbie (minivan) went up to near lucasoil, but the exit was closed for construction, so pulled an illegal U-turn at speed, and went to the East side of downtown, then in, running at least 2 red lights (going the the Marriott) and always about 15 mph over the speed limit.

Indy cabbies be crazy (especially late at night).

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles roundtop

roundtop wrote:

So anecdote, the scariest cab ride of my life was at GenCon Indy 2010. Arrived late at night, the cabbie (minivan) went up to near lucasoil, but the exit was closed for construction, so pulled an illegal U-turn at speed, and went to the East side of downtown, then in, running at least 2 red lights (going the the Marriott) and always about 15 mph over the speed limit.Indy cabbies be crazy (especially late at night).

Two years ago we used Uber to get to our downtown hotel, 6 blocks away, at 2am.  The driver was an older woman, could not seem to be able to switch lanes, and kept missing the streets she needed to turn down (cause she was afraid to switch lanes!).  She scared the crap out of the 4 of us and we decided it was safer walking at 2am than driving.

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

I investigated car accidents for a major police department for 20+ years.  Uber and Lyft do have insurance policies that cover your bills in case of a crash, but I have personal knowledge of 2 incidents where the ride share company was VERY hesitant to pay up.  According to the passenger, the ride share company was expecting the driver's own insurance company to pay the medical bills while the insurance company was expecting the ride share company to do the same.  Taxicabs are required to carry insurance that specifically covers the faire. (at least in my state)

Normal
Small
Posted by johntes

I generally stay at outlying IHG properties (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites) when we go to Gen Con. We do not book through Gen Con. Most IHG properties have a breakfast area or conference room available to play games in late at night. I have stayed near the airport, east of Indy and south of Indy and never had a problem getting a game at night after the Con. One of my friends has stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn south of town that set aside a room for gamers. They had a small menu of food and drinks they would deliver there from the bar/restaurant in the lobby. We met and played games with people from all over. I have not seen Werewolf played at these hotels, but there was a large game of Secret Hitler played last year.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.