What downtown rooms are still available?
2 4
2 4
Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

*** Edited 3:22pm ET

Doubles available

• None

Singles only available

• JW Marriott Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin Hotel
  • Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown
  • Sheraton Indianapolis City Center
  • Columbia Club Hotel Indianapolis
  • Hilton Garden Inn Downtown
  • The Alexander

Unavailable

• Conrad Indianapolis
  • Courtyard by Marriott Downtown
  • Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown
  • Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis
  • Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
  • Le Meridien Indianapolis
  • Springhill Suites Indianapolis Downtown
  • The Westin Indianapolis
  • Hampton Inn Downtown
  • Hilton Indianapolis
  • Staybridge Suites Indianapolis
  • Courtyard by Marriott Capitol
  • Home2 Suites Indianapolis Downtown

Other room types

• Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Train Car rooms not available
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown Suites not available
  • JW Marriott Indianapolis Executive Suites not available
  • Hilton Indianapolis King Suites not available

Normal
Small
Posted by autumn67

While still a ton of people not going to be getting downtown rooms. I bet there are a lot of people in the 3 pm and later time block that are going to be happy downtown rooms are available when they didn't think they would have a chance at a room. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bravatar

My issue is that I am taking students to GenCon as a field trip for our board game club. I needed double rooms, preferably downtown. I am set for 2:35. I'm hoping if we get a hotel not in downtown there are shuttles or some other method to to convention center. We have two adults and 8 kids going. 

Normal
Small
Posted by glory bravatar

bravatar wrote:
My issue is that I am taking students to GenCon as a field trip for our board game club. I needed double rooms, preferably downtown. I am set for 2:35. I'm hoping if we get a hotel not in downtown there are shuttles or some other method to to convention center. We have two adults and 8 kids going. 

There has been no reliable or consistent shuttle system at GenCon. 

I hope you got what you needed man, but as of about 15 minutes ago, all doubles at connected hotels were gone. There were lots of singles left, though. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bravatar

We can't get singles, wouldn't work with four kids to a room. And the price would be too much if we got more rooms. We'll have to get hotel outside of downtown and try to UberXL. 

Normal
Small
Posted by autumn67

Could look at renting one of those transit vans and then driving in from an outlying hotel and parking. Probably cheaper than staying downtown by quite a bit based on the number of rooms you'll be getting. 

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice autumn67

autumn67 wrote:
While still a ton of people not going to be getting downtown rooms. I bet there are a lot of people in the 3 pm and later time block that are going to be happy downtown rooms are available when they didn't think they would have a chance at a room. 

We got Hyatt Regency under my son's badge - was absolutely shocked when I logged in at 2:04PM and there were still a ton of connected DT hotels available.

Demand far outstrips supply - but I, for one, am glad to see the supply stretching out a bit more. I was out by the airport last year - which was fine - but it will be nice to be DT this year.  First time DT since the old days in Milwaukee.  :)

Normal
Small
Posted by dreamitdoit

No shuttles, but you might have some luck renting a car through Turo? I haven't heard any reviews of that service yet, but I know it has some availability in Indy.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice bravatar

bravatar wrote:
We can't get singles, wouldn't work with four kids to a room. And the price would be too much if we got more rooms. We'll have to get hotel outside of downtown and try to UberXL. 

I've chaperoned kids to Gen Con 2 of the past 3 years and you can absolutely make it work from an outlying hotel - with a Gate Ten Parking Pass, you drive in, park at Gate Ten, shuttle to the convention center, shuttle back when you are done.  Timing the shuttles can be a bit tricky - but it can work.

The hardest part, for us, was trying to figure out movements throughout the day with everyone's varying schedules.  Some of the boys had more stamina than others for being at the con from 7:30AM - Midnight each day.  We ended up setting early pickup / late pickup times and telling them they had to meet us for one or the other.

UPDATE:  If you haven't done Gen Con before and want to connect or need any suggestions, we can find a way to connect over email and I'm more than willing to discuss experiences if you'd like.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

ALL CONNECTED HOTELS NOW SOLD OUT.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

*** Edited 3:39pm ET

Doubles available

• None

Singles only available

• Sheraton Indianapolis City Center
  • Columbia Club Hotel Indianapolis
  • Hilton Garden Inn Downtown
  • The Alexander

Unavailable

• Conrad Indianapolis
  • Courtyard by Marriott Downtown
  • Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown
  • Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis
  • Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
  • JW Marriott Indianapolis
  • Le Meridien Indianapolis
  • Omni Severin Hotel
  • Springhill Suites Indianapolis Downtown
  • The Westin Indianapolis
  • Hampton Inn Downtown
  • Hilton Indianapolis
  • Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown
  • Staybridge Suites Indianapolis
  • Courtyard by Marriott Capitol
  • Home2 Suites Indianapolis Downtown

Other room types

• Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Train Car rooms not available
  • Indianapolis Marriott Downtown Suites not available
  • JW Marriott Indianapolis Executive Suites not available
  • Hilton Indianapolis King Suites not available

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Only two downtown hotels remain (5 block away). Not long now.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

DOWNTOWN HOTEL ROOMS ARE NOW FULLY SOLD OUT.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

If you didn't get your first choice, you may still get lucky if you keep checking. Some downtown hotel rooms periodically pop back in as people make changes.

Normal
Small
Posted by jm.spellslinger

Nice. My time is in five minutes 

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner austicke

austicke wrote:
If you didn't get your first choice, you may still get lucky if you keep checking. Some downtown hotel rooms periodically pop back in as people make changes.

I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

edit: My portal time was 4:07.

Normal
Small
Posted by flamepulse falloner

falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:

I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.
8 times for me and ive been downtown 3 times. I wouldnt say the system is flawed. its probaly the best way to do it. 

Normal
Small
Posted by k_dog64 flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:

8 times for me and ive been downtown 3 times. I wouldnt say the system is flawed. its probaly the best way to do it. 

I've stayed downtown every year since they started the lottery.  This year was the first year I actually managed to get a connect room during the lottery.  Every other year I have gotten them in May/June when some rooms got returned to the housing block.  Definitely possible, just a lot more stressful. (Portal Time was 3:35.  Was not expecting to still find one at that time.)  Will everyone get the room they want?  No they won't, there just aren't enough rooms downtown for everyone that wants one, but it is certainly still possible.

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:

They have all the data from housing for at least the last 2 years. It would be easy to create a system where people who attend consecutively but never have a chance at a downtown room get priority. That would spread the opportunity out. 

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice flamepulse

flamepulse wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:

I think its as fair as it can be given the orders of magnitude more demand than there is supply.

We *did* manage to snag a downtown connected room this year - first time in 4 visits.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4
2 4