What downtown rooms are still available?
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam k_dog64

k_dog64 wrote:
flamepulse wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
If you didn't get your first choice, you may still get lucky if you keep checking. Some downtown hotel rooms periodically pop back in as people make changes.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.
8 times for me and ive been downtown 3 times. I wouldnt say the system is flawed. its probaly the best way to do it. 

I've stayed downtown every year since they started the lottery.  This year was the first year I actually managed to get a connect room during the lottery.  Every other year I have gotten them in May/June when some rooms got returned to the housing block.  Definitely possible, just a lot more stressful. (Portal Time was 3:35.  Was not expecting to still find one at that time.)  Will everyone get the room they want?  No they won't, there just aren't enough rooms downtown for everyone that wants one, but it is certainly still possible.
Its been proven now that in prior years people got rooms they didn't need.

with the changes I expect one side effect will be less rooms back in the block later on.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon falloner

falloner wrote:
flamepulse wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
If you didn't get your first choice, you may still get lucky if you keep checking. Some downtown hotel rooms periodically pop back in as people make changes.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.
8 times for me and ive been downtown 3 times. I wouldnt say the system is flawed. its probaly the best way to do it. 

They have all the data from housing for at least the last 2 years. It would be easy to create a system where people who attend consecutively but never have a chance at a downtown room get priority. That would spread the opportunity out. 

Problem with that, is that there are a lot of people who actually do get to stay downtown but the room wasn't booked on their account, would completely screw that up and it wouldn't work how you think it would. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke falloner

falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.

But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.

_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Portal time was 4:32 p.m. Closest I saw was 8 miles away.

Glad I've got my out-of-block room, but I'd like to stay somewhere less than $249/night and $47/night for parking.

Portal stalking it is, then.

Normal
Small
Posted by falloner austicke

austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam falloner

falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.
there are rooms available. Obviously at outside the block prices.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust squirecam

squirecam wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.
there are rooms available. Obviously at outside the block prices.
Anywhere from $314 to $546, judging by what I saw on Trivago a moment ago.

A note for newcomers: book a room for GenCon 2019 as soon as GenCon 2018 ends, maybe before if possible. That's the only way to get a decent out-of-block price (even then it'll be higher than in-block, but at least it won't be ridiculous).

Normal
Small
Posted by desapalooza falloner

falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Have you gone to similarly big conventions and tried their hotel systems? I'm not saying they're better or worse but the challenge of trying to house this many people close to an event is near impossible. Other big conventions have tried completely different methods and they're just as crappy, if not moreso. It sucks, but that's just how it goes. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke falloner

falloner wrote:Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Perhaps. This will be my 18th Indianapolis convention run by Gen Con, and I've stayed downtown for every single one.

_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam desapalooza

desapalooza wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Have you gone to similarly big conventions and tried their hotel systems? I'm not saying they're better or worse but the challenge of trying to house this many people close to an event is near impossible. Other big conventions have tried completely different methods and they're just as crappy, if not moreso. It sucks, but that's just how it goes. 
it wouldn't be so bad if there was a good shuttle or light rail system.

Normal
Small
Posted by glory austicke

austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Perhaps. This will be my 18th Indianapolis convention run by Gen Con, and I've stayed downtown for every single one._____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
C'mon Alec. How many of those years have you been VIG? 

This will be my 12th year and the last 10 I've stayed downtown but I'm not VIG and it hasn't been without struggle. I'm also lucky in that I travel a lot for work and get perks at a lot of hotels that let me book in advance, with points, get free nights, etc... It's a lot of work to stay downtown consistenly nowadays.

Or a lot of luck. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke glory

glory wrote:How many of those years have you been VIG?

This will be my third year.

_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by desapalooza squirecam

squirecam wrote:
desapalooza wrote:
falloner wrote:
austicke wrote:
falloner wrote:I appreciate what you do Alex, but lets not give people false hope. This lottery system is still flawed. 6 trips to GenCon and I have yet to even have to opportunity to stay downtown, and this includes checking the housing portal whenever possible post-opening day.

Well, of course it's flawed. This is the real world. There is no perfect system to distribute hotel rooms when demand oustrips supply.But, that being said, I believe Gen Con has a pretty amazing system. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better one.
_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you would feel the same way if you have never been able to stay downtown.

Have you gone to similarly big conventions and tried their hotel systems? I'm not saying they're better or worse but the challenge of trying to house this many people close to an event is near impossible. Other big conventions have tried completely different methods and they're just as crappy, if not moreso. It sucks, but that's just how it goes. 
it wouldn't be so bad if there was a good shuttle or light rail system.

Absolutely agree! I'd love to not have to deal with this stress ever year if I could just hop on shuttle. 

Normal
Small
Posted by laocain

20 years attending.  The wonderful lottery system has awarded me with a downtown room not even once in the last seven years.  Getting very tired of them allowing the vendors and exhibitors first pick.

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla

12 years attending and I've stayed downtown 10 of those years. The two times I didn't once was by choice in year 2 because I didn't think it mattered and once was just bad luck and inexperience.  I have 'lost' the lottery every year for the past 5 years but I check the housing portal once a day or so and usually get something downtown about a month out. I usually have a backup refundable room in the southport area.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice laocain

laocain wrote:
...The wonderful lottery system has awarded me with a downtown room not even once in the last seven years...

There hasn't been a lottery system for the past seven years.  Just the last two.

Just sayin'

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
laocain wrote:
...The wonderful lottery system has awarded me with a downtown room not even once in the last seven years...

There hasn't been a lottery system for the past seven years.  Just the last two.Just sayin'
Hasn’t it been like this for three years? I had to play the lottery in 2015 too.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

The "Lottery", as opposed to "Everyone crash the system at noon", dates from 2015. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

Just got on my first opportunity and checked and there are 14 hotels left about 11 to 15 miles away. This is why I book out of block every year...just to be safe!

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:
laocain wrote:
...The wonderful lottery system has awarded me with a downtown room not even once in the last seven years...

There hasn't been a lottery system for the past seven years.  Just the last two.Just sayin'
Hasn’t it been like this for three years? I had to play the lottery in 2015 too.

You're right.  I forgot that that 2015 was the year you had to login to find out what time you got to login.  :)

That wasn't quite the same kind of lottery to my thinking.

Still...wasn't seven years.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3