Did you get the room you want? (Facebook poll)
Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Please take the fourth annual Fans of Gen Con Facebook group hotel lottery poll.

It'll be interesting to compare the results to prior years.

Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Responses are still coming in, but it appears that satisfaction jumped this year.

Please complete the poll here.

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord

I already voted on facebook, but my wife got 12:01, so we definitely got our first pick :).  Although, our first pick is one of the last ones to go in the downtown block for some reason (Omni - King).

Also, it's amazing how much less ADA bickering is going on here than the FaceBook group.

Normal
Small
Posted by kythrosd

We were looking for a suite (2 bdrms) to accommodate 5 adults. None available in block (1207 lottery time) Entire city blacked out even at non block hotels (homewood, residence inn, etc)

This is crap, and very frustrating.  My group regularly travels for work- we do conventions for a living too, and know the process.

While seeing my friends is the highlight of every year, the whole housing experience...leaves us actively dissatisfied.  I am asking my group to find an alternative event.  The only reason we havent yet iss that we have a friend who knows somebody...you get it.

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811 kythrosd

kythrosd wrote:
We were looking for a suite (2 bdrms) to accommodate 5 adults. None available in block (1207 lottery time) Entire city blacked out even at non block hotels (homewood, residence inn, etc)
This is crap, and very frustrating.  My group regularly travels for work- we do conventions for a living too, and know the process.
While seeing my friends is the highlight of every year, the whole housing experience...leaves us actively dissatisfied.  I am asking my group to find an alternative event.  The only reason we havent yet iss that we have a friend who knows somebody...you get it.
Really? I was with my friend who was picking at 12:20 and there were suites available at 3 different hotels we looked at, all connected.  Were you going for a specific hotel? 

Normal
Small
Posted by xthos

I got the best time out of our 4 with 8:17 PM, so sometimes ya get bad luck, we haven't done too horrible in the past, but we did like the Candlewood out by the airport I think it is, and it was gone by then, wasn't thinking it would be with 4 chances.  So we didn't book, as it was 8.8+ miles I think as the closest.  So were gonna ride the site and hope to fall into something, as if were gonna be 8-12 miles away, whats the big deal of being 15, which I imagine we can get later.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice xthos

xthos wrote:So were gonna ride the site and hope to fall into something, as if were gonna be 8-12 miles away, whats the big deal of being 15, which I imagine we can get later.

Yep.  That's the right way to look at it I think.  Hard to say what kind of in-block hotels will be available later.

Why not book one of the "Outer Rim" hotels in the meantime?  You can switch hotels without incurring any cancellation fees, you know?  (i.e. you aren't cancelling, you're modifying an existing reservation)...at least up until the registrations transfer to the hotels themselves (about a month out from Gen Con).

Bases covered.

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes

I already voted on Facebook yesterday.
I got the hotel (The Westin) I wanted, but not the room.  I was hoping for a Double room, but I got a Standard King.  I'm not complaining.  It's what happens when you got a 1:17 time slot in the draw.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon cman811

cman811 wrote:
kythrosd wrote:
Really? I was with my friend who was picking at 12:20 and there were suites available at 3 different hotels we looked at, all connected.  Were you going for a specific hotel? 

We were at 12:36 and we got a suite at the hilton that sleeps 6. So there’s no way there wasn’t one at 12:07.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb stevespikes

stevespikes wrote:I already voted on Facebook yesterday.
I got the hotel (The Westin) I wanted, but not the room.  I was hoping for a Double room, but I got a Standard King.  I'm not complaining.  It's what happens when you got a 1:17 time slot in the draw.

Those King rooms have a fold out couch that sleeps 1 person. You can also request a rollaway, so if you needed to, you could squeeze in 4 people.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf helenbb

helenbb wrote:
stevespikes wrote:I already voted on Facebook yesterday.

Those King rooms have a fold out couch that sleeps 1 person. You can also request a rollaway, so if you needed to, you could squeeze in 4 people.
I highly doubt the Westin has rollaway beds. Cribs, yes, rollaway beds, no, unless something has recently changed.

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
cman811 wrote:
kythrosd wrote:

We were at 12:36 and we got a suite at the hilton that sleeps 6. So there’s no way there wasn’t one at 12:07.
I booked at 2:15 and while I didn't need a suite, just got a single, I did see at least one hotel with suites that fit up to 6. I wasn't looking specifically for suites but a particular hotel I like,and I got it, but due to conversation a few days ago about this particular hotel, Holiday Inn, I noticed it while scrolling down.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

I didn't get an attached hotel, but I did get a hotel within walking distance (4 blocks away on Monument Circle) so I'm not complaining.  My time was 1:45pm.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.