For those who have booked, what did you get?
Normal
Small
Posted by cheezcb

Got a king suite in the Embassy Suites.  Closest I've ever managed to stay.  Pretty happy about it.

Normal
Small
Posted by trace_sl

got a king at the Marriott downtown @ 2:45pm slot. Not my first slot, wanted Hyatt and a double but not bad location.  

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam cheezcb

cheezcb wrote:
Got a king suite in the Embassy Suites.  Closest I've ever managed to stay.  Pretty happy about it.
gratz. Stayed at embassy once and it has a nice breakfast.

Wi-Fi was sketchy. But otherwise was a good stay.

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf

I would be interested to know what number of rooms in the housing block are kept aside for Gen Con staff, Vendors, and companies like Paizo. I think that even those groups should have to take a bite of the housing pie that is not downtown and commute like many attendees. It is not too much to tell a vendor who runs a dealer table from 10:00 to 6:00 that they need to stay by the airport and commute into downtown. The same for Paizo GM's and even the staff of Gen Con.

I just think that the rules should apply to us all. If I am in for over 18 hours a day at the convention center and then have to drive round trip to a remote hotel, then so can they...

Just my two coppers!

Normal
Small
Posted by lesleykate

At 1:17 we got a double queen suite at Home 2 Suites. Has a pull out queen size couch too. I'm honestly surprised more people didn't grab them early. I know it's over by the circle, but a 5 block walk is fine when you have a full kitchen, breakfast included, and room for 6 comfortably. Might be the hidden gem in the housing block.

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla

I booked at 2:15ish and got the Westin, I saw tons of downtown rooms at this time. To be fair I was booking a king.

Normal
Small
Posted by robert227 hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
I would be interested to know what number of rooms in the housing block are kept aside for Gen Con staff, Vendors, and companies like Paizo. I think that even those groups should have to take a bite of the housing pie that is not downtown and commute like many attendees. It is not too much to tell a vendor who runs a dealer table from 10:00 to 6:00 that they need to stay by the airport and commute into downtown. The same for Paizo GM's and even the staff of Gen Con.
I just think that the rules should apply to us all. If I am in for over 18 hours a day at the convention center and then have to drive round trip to a remote hotel, then so can they...
Just my two coppers!

If it makes you feel better, offshirt designs stated at the same hotel I did a couple of years ago, 15 min south of downtown. Vendors might have to, I could see companies having different blocks.

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
Just my two coppers!

Cannot get behind this idea at all even though it would mean more hotel rooms for attendees.

Without vendors, GMs and staff, there would be no Gen Con.  These people are working to make this con happen.  During that 10-6PM window, most of them are working their @$$'s off.  This isn't a party for them.  I've had friends run booths at Gen Con and swear off of it after the fact because it is crazy busy.  End of the day, they're exhausted.

Vendors, Staff, GMs, etc. are more likely than even attendees to need to run back to nearby rooms for product or other materials.

Are there some that go on to party after hours?  Of course!  But still.

Normal
Small
Posted by daveculp

I got my first choice, the Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown.  I go by myself so I foot the bill for the hotel room with no one to split it with and it is the cheapest connected hotel.   

Normal
Small
Posted by hendelbolaf funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
Cannot get behind this idea at all even though it would mean more hotel rooms for attendees.Without vendors, GMs and staff, there would be no Gen Con.  These people are working to make this con happen.  During that 10-6PM window, most of them are working their @$$'s off.  This isn't a party for them.  I've had friends run booths at Gen Con and swear off of it after the fact because it is crazy busy.  End of the day, they're exhausted.
Vendors, Staff, GMs, etc. are more likely than even attendees to need to run back to nearby rooms for product or other materials.
Are there some that go on to party after hours?  Of course!  But still.
I am a DM and I run several events every year, enough for a badge, but not a room. So I call foul on the comment “Vendors, Staff, GMs, etc. are more likely than even attendees to need to run back to nearby rooms for product or other materials”. All the product should be in a car, truck, or somewhere else, but it does not need to be a connected hotel room. I can assure you that no major vendor is running to their room for product.

If what you say is true, why should I not get at least preferential treatment to get a room even if I pay for it?

No, fair is fair, if all attendees are in the lottery, so should vendors, staff, and hosts like myself.

Normal
Small
Posted by dmdavisson

Good bye GenCon!   my group of 6 tried to get housing within walking distance.  once again this housing portal was worthless. between the 6 of us the best time was 6:00 pm  closest was 13 miles.  Not the experience we wanted. not going to go

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager dmdavisson

dmdavisson wrote:
Good bye GenCon!   my group of 6 tried to get housing within walking distance.  once again this housing portal was worthless. between the 6 of us the best time was 6:00 pm  closest was 13 miles.  Not the experience we wanted. not going to go
I don't understand this mindset. Yeah you didn't get a room. I know it hurts. We didn't get a room last year. But you know what I did? I watched the forums every day, and read all the posts and eventually in June, something popped up and we got a room downtown. The year before we didn't book until June and got a room outside the block to the north. Both experiences were great. You do not need to stay downtown to have a good Gen Con. The housing lottery is random, its like rolling a die. Sometimes its not gonna land on the side you want. If you need a downtown room to have a good Gen Con, its probably for the best you decided not to go.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles dmdavisson

dmdavisson wrote:
I totally can relate.  We didn't get a downtown room this year and if it weren't for my teens who look forward to this every year, my husband and I would skip.  We are going to see how an non-downtown room works and if it makes our vacation a "non-vacation" that will be the last time.  I have gotten a downtown room by spending an inordinate amount of time checking housing multiple times a day. I have a feeling with the housing fix, it will be much harder to procure a downtown room as presumably there won't be as many going back into the system.  I hope you find a fun alternative:)

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke steffles

steffles wrote:I have a feeling with the housing fix, it will be much harder to procure a downtown room as presumably there won't be as many going back into the system.

It may have the opposite effect since those canceling can only return them to the system rather than transferring to someone else with no penalty. That may be tempered by fewer people booking extra, unneeded rooms though.

I bet we see a lot more cancellations as July 17 approaches when the cancellation fee goes up substantially....

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by gib_rebeg austicke

austicke wrote:
steffles wrote:I have a feeling with the housing fix, it will be much harder to procure a downtown room as presumably there won't be as many going back into the system.

It may have the opposite effect since those canceling can only return them to the system rather than transferring to someone else with no penalty. That may be tempered by fewer people booking extra, unneeded rooms though.I bet we see a lot more cancellations as July 17 approaches when the cancellation fee goes up substantially....
​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group
I'm open to agreeing with this point.

Last few years we've seen the housing book near solid, even the outlying hotels. This year there are still lots of hotel rooms available. DT is still sold out, but there were still rooms available much longer then usual this year.

I haven't booked one yet, My time was poor, so I'll do as I did last year and check constantly to see if any open DT. I've been successful the last 3 years so I have hope. As you've said there are always people who cancel for various reasons.  If push comes to shove, I can always book further out and drive in.

Normal
Small
Posted by holder of dreams

By the time I got in, assigned to a 7:10 pm slot, all of downtown was GONE!!!

But luckily, took a chance and went by third party *a well known one* and got a room 3+ miles out, did that yesterday. Had that feeling, that most of downtown will be gone, by the time I got on.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Normal
Small
Posted by tamwulf

Just tried to get a hotel at 10:09pm Eastern. Closest hotel was 12 miles away.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.