Housing shock!
Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

I must say good job to the Gen Con crew. I'm not sure if it was the change in transfer policy, or the way they brought people into the block this year but I'm shocked at the number of hotels available 2 hrs and 30 minutes in. 
Whatever you're doing is working, clearly. 

Normal
Small
Posted by gelgoog

I too was super nervous going in at 2 hours 6 minutes.  But got the Marriott across from the Con center.  Kudos to you Gencon people.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I think the cancellation policy change has had a big effect.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam austicke

austicke wrote:
I think the cancellation policy change has had a big effect.

Normal
Small
Posted by uriel-393 gelgoog

gelgoog wrote:
I too was super nervous going in at 2 hours 6 minutes.  But got the Marriott across from the Con center.  Kudos to you Gencon people.

I was in 1:27 after opening, and also got the Marriot. I was shocked that my other choices all had rooms, but most were King bed (Maybe because we only listed 2 folks? Haha...). Pretty happy with this year's experience.

Normal
Small
Posted by flamepulse

the cancelation policy i think prevents people from reserving rooms in the housing portal for a "Just in case" moment.  

Normal
Small
Posted by watchdog

Agree with everyone else. Pleasantly surprised to see so many hotels with kings left more than three hours into registration. Well played, Gen Con!

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon watchdog

watchdog wrote:
Agree with everyone else. Pleasantly surprised to see so many hotels with kings left more than three hours into registration. Well played, Gen Con!

But didn't you read the change in housing policy thread? There were people who were complaining their con was ruined with this change. I mean how unfair is it they can no longer book multiple rooms and then decide which one to use later, then just transfer it off to someone else without a penalty. I mean it's totally unfair now. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by nikki

I am very pleased. Thank you for continuing to make this process better and more fair.

Normal
Small
Posted by pezkat

Also pleased.  Our group booked 3 rooms with a 1:45 slot; nothing high on our list but all within 6 blocks. 

One other small factor that may have helped is a lot of locals buying badges earlier (because they sold out last year) & then not using their early housing slots.  But I"m sure it was mainly the cancellation fee.

Normal
Small
Posted by madsalad

I let you know how it goes from the 22:40 ET time slot... :(

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I would tentatively say that the cancellation fee had a positive impact on housing availability. I was shocked to see most connected hotels still available at 2:16 pm (even if most of them were kings only).

Normal
Small
Posted by doogs19

Welp, five us are in a group, no  one earlier than 5:30. We're effed for anything downtown. 

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

Yes, it lasted 4hrs rather than the usual 2 and a half. 

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

Absolutely nothing closer than 8 miles away for those of us stuck with 1900 Eastern time slot. Le sigh.

Normal
Small
Posted by phoenix265

I'm guessing they assigned less people to each time slot.  The number of rooms still left at a given time of day is irrelevant.  How many people had opportunities before your own slot is what is important.  If more people passed due to the policy, then they deserve credit.  If they just spaced out the housing access by giving less people access each hour, then nothing really changed.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke phoenix265

phoenix265 wrote:I'm guessing they assigned less people to each time slot.

Nope, not according to the access time poll I conducted. Basically the same spread as last year.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk phoenix265

phoenix265 wrote:
I'm guessing they assigned less people to each time slot.  The number of rooms still left at a given time of day is irrelevant.  How many people had opportunities before your own slot is what is important.  If more people passed due to the policy, then they deserve credit.  If they just spaced out the housing access by giving less people access each hour, then nothing really changed.

I would have agreed with that, HOWEVER as someone else had pointed out, they still had the same time, 11est-12est. SO the time hasn't been extended in which people can get hotels. 
Meaning that if that's true, they let less people in early, it just means the end was backloaded which seems a little odd, but is possible I suppose

and also as Alec points out, the poll did show the same results as last year. 

Normal
Small
Posted by tamwulf

10:09pm Eastern closest hotel was 12 miles away. This sucks.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer phoenix265

phoenix265 wrote:
 If they just spaced out the housing access by giving less people access each hour, then nothing really changed.

Which we did not do. It is my feeling that more people passed due to the policy change as well as some very clear and persistent messaging on multiple channels.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 4 5