Housing shock!
Normal
Small
Posted by kressilac

It had about a 1 hour impact.  By 3:45 everything was 11 miles out or more.  Nothing in walking distance.  If you didn't roll lucky you had to wait and now there's no wait list for anything when anyone cancels.  I'd pay a good amount of money to get notified of a cancellation within walking distance of the convention center to get a hotel.  Instead, I'm in the very unpleasant refresh the browser for the next four months scenario.  There has to be a better way for the wait list now because you have maybe a 20% chance to roll low enough on the timeline to get something in walking distance.

Normal
Small
Posted by autumn67 kressilac

kressilac wrote:
It had about a 1 hour impact.  By 3:45 everything was 11 miles out or more.  Nothing in walking distance.  If you didn't roll lucky you had to wait and now there's no wait list for anything when anyone cancels.  I'd pay a good amount of money to get notified of a cancellation within walking distance of the convention center to get a hotel.  Instead, I'm in the very unpleasant refresh the browser for the next four months scenario.  There has to be a better way for the wait list now because you have maybe a 20% chance to roll low enough on the timeline to get something in walking distance.

Actually there were rooms available downtown up to 4 pm and I logged in at 4:25 and there were rooms still available at the airport.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

"It had about a 1 hr impact" - AWESOME! That sounds like music to my ears. Like they made a change and in turn it worked out, greatly. 
At NO point is there going to be downtown housing for everyone. It's just the facts of the cons size. 
there hasn't been a wait list in years now. 
You can also look to outside of block sites. They are going to be more expensive at this point. 

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314 mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
phoenix265 wrote:
 If they just spaced out the housing access by giving less people access each hour, then nothing really changed.

Which we did not do. It is my feeling that more people passed due to the policy change as well as some very clear and persistent messaging on multiple channels.Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Well done on the messaging.
I actually expected the no-transfers policy to have very little impact this year, on the basis that most attendees wouldn't notice a minor policy change. Looks like the word got out pretty well.

Normal
Small
Posted by kressilac autumn67

autumn67 wrote:
kressilac wrote:

Actually there were rooms available downtown up to 4 pm and I logged in at 4:25 and there were rooms still available at the airport.

There were airport rooms available.  There were no walking distance rooms available at 4:05pm when our earliest time came up.  Another thread reported all downtown hotels sold out at 3:41pm.  I understand that there has not been a wait list for years.  It would be nice to be able to get on one. As for downtown non-block hotels, I'm looking into those.  There's a couple and perhaps I can figure out a way to register long before the housing day goes live.  Price there doesn't matter to me.  The location of the hotel is one of the most impactful things you can do to improve your GenCon trip.  Being connected to the convention center is night and day from having to drive out to the airport nightly.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon kressilac

kressilac wrote:
autumn67 wrote:
kressilac wrote:

There were airport rooms available.  There were no walking distance rooms available at 4:05pm when our earliest time came up.  Another thread reported all downtown hotels sold out at 3:41pm.  I understand that there has not been a wait list for years.  It would be nice to be able to get on one. As for downtown non-block hotels, I'm looking into those.  There's a couple and perhaps I can figure out a way to register long before the housing day goes live.  Price there doesn't matter to me.  The location of the hotel is one of the most impactful things you can do to improve your GenCon trip.  Being connected to the convention center is night and day from having to drive out to the airport nightly. 

No they were still rooms popping back up till about 4. I remember seeing a room at the JW Marriott at 3:58 but regardless even if you call it an hour and ten minutes. It’s still a positive impact from the policy changes.

Normal
Small
Posted by timjs21 helenbb

helenbb wrote:
I would tentatively say that the cancellation fee had a positive impact on housing availability. I was shocked to see most connected hotels still available at 2:16 pm (even if most of them were kings only).
I completely agree.  The change did seem to have a positive affect and the message must have gotten out.  Kudos to the Gen Con team!

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke kressilac

kressilac wrote:There were no walking distance rooms available at 4:05pm when our earliest time came up.

Downtown hotels sold out at 3:55pm, so it appears you just missed them. However, for a short time afterwards, some people still scored downtown hotels as people made changes.

​​​​​​​_____________________________________
Alec Usticke, Fans of Gen Con Facebook Group

Normal
Small
Posted by stannis

This will be my 10th year coming. Since the housing portal opened I have NEVER gotten a room through it and I’ve never gotten a time less than three hours from the start. I had 4:50pm and there was nothing downtown. Stop the nonsense that you’re saving some of these good rooms for these later times, it’s mularky. Closest was 7 miles away. My friend had 9:02pm, and the closest was 11 miles away. I guess I’d like to know this get me wrong, I pay through the nose in September each year to get a room outside the lottery. 

Edited for language. Please keep it civil, continued abuse may result in a ban from the forums.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk stannis

stannis wrote:
This will be my 10th year coming. Since the housing portal opened I have NEVER gotten a room through it and I’ve never gotten a time less than three hours from the start. I had 4:50pm and there was nothing downtown. Stop the nonsense that you’re saving some of these good rooms for these later times, it’s mularky. Closest was 7 miles away. My friend had 9:02pm, and the closest was 11 miles away.  Don’t get me wrong, I pay through the nose in September each year to get a room outside the lottery. But just ONE year I’d like a recognition of the fact I’ve supported this thing for 10 years now. 

I've gone since 1998 Stannis, and since the lottery started I've never gotten anything better than 430pm. (this year included) fortunately my group is big enough that it hasn't been a problem and the few off years, we stayed outside of the block for slightly higher than block prices. 

Normal
Small
Posted by nikki stannis

stannis wrote:
This will be my 10th year coming. Since the housing portal opened I have NEVER gotten a room through it and I’ve never gotten a time less than three hours from the start. I had 4:50pm and there was nothing downtown. Stop the nonsense that you’re saving some of these good rooms for these later times, it’s mularky. Closest was 7 miles away. My friend had 9:02pm, and the closest was 11 miles away. I guess I’d like to know this  Edited for language.

I'm sorry you're so upset.  I've been going for over 20 years.  Sure, it would be nice if that meant something but it doesn't.  I've had to stay out-of-block before and I'm sure I will have to again.  There are not enough downtown hotel rooms for everyone.  And if Gen Con did play favorites to those of us that have been going since it was in another state, I bet the folks like you that started coming since then would be pissed off about that.

Normal
Small
Posted by drkfathr1

Honestly for the past few years my group has liked the fact that we're not downtown. We save a ton of money on the room by staying 12 miles out, and with Gate 10 Parking, we actually pay less for parking than if we were at a downtown hotel, and can easily drive back and forth with a guaranteed parking spot. I've been going since Gencon has been in Indy, and I've never gotten a good time slot either, but staying at a hotel outside of downtown has also not been a big deal for me, or my group. 

Means we have more $$$ for games, food, and booze! 

Maybe some year I'll get an early time slot, but even then, I'd be tempted to stay on the outskirts. 

Normal
Small
Posted by funny-shaped dice austicke

stannis wrote:Stop the nonsense that you’re saving some of these good rooms for these later times, it’s mularky.

Nobody said that anyone was "saving some of these good rooms for these later times".  What Austicke said was:
austicke wrote:However, for a short time afterwards, some people still scored downtown hotels as people made changes.

There were downtown rooms available until nearly 4PM EST - and then a few popped back into the portal and out again as people changed their reservations (presumably coordinating with other members of their groups, picking the best outcome and cancelling the others). 

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski

This is why living in Indy + being a GenCon fan is the best combo! If it weren't such a risky idea, I'd rent my guest room out.

Normal
Small
Posted by stannis nikki

nikki wrote:
stannis wrote:
This will be my 10th year coming. Since the housing portal opened I have NEVER gotten a room through it and I’ve never gotten a time less than three hours from the start. I had 4:50pm and there was nothing downtown. Stop the nonsense that you’re saving some of these good rooms for these later times, it’s mularky. Closest was 7 miles away. My friend had 9:02pm, and the closest was 11 miles away. Don’t get me wrong, I pay through the nose in September each year to get a room outside the lottery. But just ONE year I’d like a recognition of the fact 

I'm sorry you're so upset.  I've been going for over 20 years.  Sure, it would be nice if that meant something but it doesn't.  I've had to stay out-of-block before and I'm sure I will have to again.  There are not enough downtown hotel rooms for everyone.  And if Gen Con did play favorites to those of us that have been going since it was in another state, I bet the folks like you that started coming since then would be pissed off about that.
Considering the attendance was 25,000 our first year I think I'd still be okay. 

And yes I'd  be all for people like you getting the first crack, so please don't assume what I would or would not be pissed off about. Yes, I favor a merit-based lottery system. 

Normal
Small
Posted by sagrious

Great job Gen con crew, this is the smoothest it's gone.  The only people who appear mad are those who got late times, which is inevitable when demand exceeds supply.  I got 2:50 and still got the JW, amazing (king bed, but we'll live).

Normal
Small
Posted by darkranger65

The only thing I would change is that those who bought a 4 day pass should have priority over the rest. I had booked a room at the La Quinta near the airport prior to the housing lottery ($129/night, 7.5 miles from ICC) but was able to get housing at the Hampton Inn( with a king and sofa bed) 2 blocks from the ICC. My time slot was 1:22 pm so I was surprised that alot of rooms were still available after hearing all the doom and gloom on the forums.

Normal
Small
Posted by icequeen

We were not lucky to get any rooms in the 4 day slot for gencon. our time was at 630 in the evening and nothing for us again this has happen 5 years in a row --- so now we have to search and pay double to triple the prices

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk icequeen

icequeen wrote:
We were not lucky to get any rooms in the 4 day slot for gencon. our time was at 630 in the evening and nothing for us again this has happen 5 years in a row --- so now we have to search and pay double to triple the prices

if you secure one before the housing block opens you will pay a lot less. Just for future reference 

Normal
Small
Posted by stannis sagrious

sagrious wrote:
Great job Gen con crew, this is the smoothest it's gone.  The only people who appear mad are those who got late times, which is inevitable when demand exceeds supply.  I got 2:50 and still got the JW, amazing (king bed, but we'll live).
The downtown rooms went in the first three hours and a half hours and they had portal times all the way until after 9pm. "The only people who appear mad" are actually 2/3 of the current badgeholders.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
2 4 5 6