Housing shock!
Normal
Small
Posted by irontk stannis

stannis wrote:
sagrious wrote:
Great job Gen con crew, this is the smoothest it's gone.  The only people who appear mad are those who got late times, which is inevitable when demand exceeds supply.  I got 2:50 and still got the JW, amazing (king bed, but we'll live).
The downtown rooms went in the first three hours and a half hours and they had portal times all the way until after 9pm. "The only people who appear mad" are actually 2/3 of the current badgeholders.

Which is less people than last year. 

Great job Gen Con! 
 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam darkranger65

darkranger65 wrote:
The only thing I would change is that those who bought a 4 day pass should have priority over the rest. I had booked a room at the La Quinta near the airport prior to the housing lottery ($129/night, 7.5 miles from ICC) but was able to get housing at the Hampton Inn( with a king and sofa bed) 2 blocks from the ICC. My time slot was 1:22 pm so I was surprised that alot of rooms were still available after hearing all the doom and gloom on the forums.
I would change the household # for badges.

If you are a Mr & Mrs under the same roof....sorry but you should get one housing lotto time. Not two.

 

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

Agreed. Four people sharing a room should get ONE housing allotment, not four chances at a good time.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

LMAO, WHAT? 

So you think if me and my crew of 5 people get together, and we all buy badges, we should only get 1 housing time? 

That's just ridiculous. 

How would they know in the first place. 

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk squirecam

squirecam wrote:
darkranger65 wrote:
The only thing I would change is that those who bought a 4 day pass should have priority over the rest. I had booked a room at the La Quinta near the airport prior to the housing lottery ($129/night, 7.5 miles from ICC) but was able to get housing at the Hampton Inn( with a king and sofa bed) 2 blocks from the ICC. My time slot was 1:22 pm so I was surprised that alot of rooms were still available after hearing all the doom and gloom on the forums.
I would change the household # for badges.If you are a Mr & Mrs under the same roof....sorry but you should get one housing lotto time. Not two.
 

What if I live in the same house as someone else going but they aren't my wife? 

What if I live in an Apartment building and 10 of us go to Gen Con, but stay in different rooms? 
 

Normal
Small
Posted by mbeauparland halveric

halveric wrote:
Agreed. Four people sharing a room should get ONE housing allotment, not four chances at a good time.
How could that be enforced? How would Gen Con know who was sharing a room and who wasn't? Sure a small group has an advantage over an individual, but it doesn't seem unethical to me for multiple people to pool their resources when they're still only gaining a single room...

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk mbeauparland

mbeauparland wrote:
halveric wrote:
Agreed. Four people sharing a room should get ONE housing allotment, not four chances at a good time.
How could that be enforced? How would Gen Con know who was sharing a room and who wasn't? Sure a small group has an advantage over an individual, but it doesn't seem unethical to me for multiple people to pool their resources when they're still only gaining a single room...

Plus with the new system they are much less likely to grab multiple rooms after figure it out later. 
NOW a lot of people probably do like my friends and I did, figured out all of our times, grabbed the best and let the others go. 
How does that hurt anyways? 
We had times of 1235, 140, 240, 430, and later. 

Since we used our 1235, 140 240 were not used to get downtown rooms this year, meaning 2 other groups were able to get their rooms. 
In years past we would of all got our rooms, figured out which we were using which we weren't and just dropped/transferred them. 

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

I never said it could be enforced. I'm saying small groups have an advantage over an individual. Which, by the way, you described exactly how to do and proved my point.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk halveric

halveric wrote:
I never said it could be enforced. I'm saying small groups have an advantage over an individual. Which, by the way, you described exactly how to do and proved my point.

I'm glad they do. 
They should. 

 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam irontk

irontk wrote:
halveric wrote:
I never said it could be enforced. I'm saying small groups have an advantage over an individual. Which, by the way, you described exactly how to do and proved my point.
I'm glad they do. 
They should. 
no they shouldnt. As an example, If you are a family of four, 2 parents and 2 18 year old kids, if the kids win they aren't paying for the room. You are. So in essence you get extra chances.

it should be one household = one time.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle squirecam

squirecam wrote:
irontk wrote:
halveric wrote:
I never said it could be enforced. I'm saying small groups have an advantage over an individual. Which, by the way, you described exactly how to do and proved my point.
I'm glad they do. 
They should. 
no they shouldnt. As an example, If you are a family of four, 2 parents and 2 18 year old kids, if the kids win they aren't paying for the room. You are. So in essence you get extra chances.it should be one household = one time.
Eh, as pointed out it'd be impossible to try and enforce that sort of a thing.  Also, groups have always had a certain advantage in lottery situations.  Not sure why this would be any different.  Gen Con has done what they can to make things more fair for everyone and, from the sounds of it, did a damn fine job of it.  I got a crappy time myself and didn't get any luck in the lottery, but I've got a backup plan and still hoping I luck into something over the next several months as rooms are returned to the housing portal.

Normal
Small
Posted by bink1101 irontk

irontk wrote:
squirecam wrote:
darkranger65 wrote:
The only thing I would change is that those who bought a 4 day pass should have priority over the rest. I had booked a room at the La Quinta near the airport prior to the housing lottery ($129/night, 7.5 miles from ICC) but was able to get housing at the Hampton Inn( with a king and sofa bed) 2 blocks from the ICC. My time slot was 1:22 pm so I was surprised that alot of rooms were still available after hearing all the doom and gloom on the forums.
I would change the household # for badges.If you are a Mr & Mrs under the same roof....sorry but you should get one housing lotto time. Not two.
What if I live in the same house as someone else going but they aren't my wife? 
What if I live in an Apartment building and 10 of us go to Gen Con, but stay in different rooms? 
 
my roommate and I live together but pay for everything separate. Under your system would we get one time or 2? We bought tickets separately before the lottery and continue to do so now. 

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk squirecam

squirecam wrote:
irontk wrote:
halveric wrote:
I never said it could be enforced. I'm saying small groups have an advantage over an individual. Which, by the way, you described exactly how to do and proved my point.
I'm glad they do. 
They should. 
no they shouldnt. As an example, If you are a family of four, 2 parents and 2 18 year old kids, if the kids win they aren't paying for the room. You are. So in essence you get extra chances.it should be one household = one time.

If you're a family of 4 you only get 2 chances. 
You obviously shouldn't get 1 single time, as there are two adults. You should get two. 
PLUS in your example, you're PAYING for those slots. 

Just like you get one, and I get one. 
My group should get 5 because there are 5 adults. It's literally the most fair way you can run this lottery. 
They already have restrictions on it, a Mr and Mrs on the same account only get 1 shot at the lottery. 

If I have a group of 10 people who need 2 rooms, I should absolutely get 10 slots. 
There are 10 of us PAYING for those slots. 

You haven't even presented a good reason why a group of 5 people shouldn't get 5 chances. 
The hotel system worked better than ever. 

Look, it's plain to see, ANYTHING that results in you not getting a downtown room as easily as possible is wrong. I get it. 

 

Normal
Small
Posted by easypickens

Thank goodness my time was 9:49 PM EST.  I would never want to be closer than 12 miles ... the system works.

Normal
Small
Posted by ploveking

 Everyone wants a system that provides them the most advantage, and others the least. I think that the system as it is/as it is moving towards over time provides some advantage to well organized groups. I think it is in Gencons best interest to court organized groups and to let disorganized individuals go. From their perspective, with attendance constrained somewhat by hotel room availability, it is better for them to get groups that will pack 5 people in a hotel room than it is for them to get 1 person in a hotel room. From a "peaceful low drama event" perspective, a group that can organize and coordinate 5 people buying individual badges and figuring out who gets the room is going to be better than the 4 disorganized people who need a responsible friend to handle all the details for them. If you take away the group advantage, you are increasing the number of underutilized rooms, which is totally not what anyone wants, except those guys who can't bear to share a room with anyone else. 

  Sharing a room with more people than you usually would is part of convention culture. Has been for decades. When I was in college we packed 7 people in a king room one memorable time. I am sure that's not even particularly big. I'm grown up and affluent now, but last year we did 5 in a double double. Embrace the convention experience, when in rome, share a room with a bunch of your friends and bring a cooler. 
 

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Actually, now that I'm older I've gone the other way. I am DONE with air mattresses and too many people. Rather stay a few miles out with a double double than everyone crammed into a King.

That said, I still would take a double double downtown over one not. And I'd rather have 2 kings downtown than a double double a few miles out.

We reserved out of block this year though. So no competition. Which is good, considering the kiddo got a ten pm time and I have lollygagged and not even gotten my badge yet. Still debating on whether I will be running events or just playing. Amazing how much stress is gone when you don't HAVE to get that housing reservation.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

That's the other thing, now that it's pretty easy to get a room downtown at block rates or slightly higher, if you want to stay downtown you can. Plan a bit more and grab two rooms outside of the block this Aug-Oct for next year.

2 just in case you end up the VERY RARE situation where one gets cancelled on you

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Guys, obviously, the most fair housing policy is whatever personally benefits me*.  Duh.

*Me being in the abstract sense.  Not literally me, since I don't use the housing portal, but rather you, the person reading this**.

**Unless the person reading it is the literal me.  In which case a housing policy is moot to a person like the literal me who lives in Indianapolis.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam ploveking

ploveking wrote:
 
  Sharing a room with more people than you usually would is part of convention culture. Has been for decades. When I was in college we packed 7 people in a king room one memorable time. I am sure that's not even particularly big. I'm grown up and affluent now, but last year we did 5 in a double double. Embrace the convention experience, when in rome, share a room with a bunch of your friends and bring a cooler. 
 
Sorry, you will never get me to agree on this. This is in essence stealing. 7 people were not meant for that room. And the hotel has to provide 7x the water, towels, etc. There is no "convention experience" in being packed like sardines. What is actually better for the hotel's bottom line is having one person in a king room. One set of towels. Much less work for the cleaning staff.

If you cant afford the downtown hotel prices without 7 packed in a king room, then you should stay at 2 king rooms outside of downtown where its cheaper. The answer isnt packing people in a room and creating a fire hazzard.
 

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk squirecam

squirecam wrote:
ploveking wrote:
 
  Sharing a room with more people than you usually would is part of convention culture. Has been for decades. When I was in college we packed 7 people in a king room one memorable time. I am sure that's not even particularly big. I'm grown up and affluent now, but last year we did 5 in a double double. Embrace the convention experience, when in rome, share a room with a bunch of your friends and bring a cooler. 
Sorry, you will never get me to agree on this. This is in essence stealing. 7 people were not meant for that room. And the hotel has to provide 7x the water, towels, etc. There is no "convention experience" in being packed like sardines. What is actually better for the hotel's bottom line is having one person in a king room. One set of towels. Much less work for the cleaning staff.If you cant afford the downtown hotel prices without 7 packed in a king room, then you should stay at 2 king rooms outside of downtown where its cheaper. The answer isnt packing people in a room and creating a fire hazzard.

Sure BUT 4 people are meant for that room, and you're saying 4 people shouldn't have a shot at it, only 1 of the people. 
 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3 5 6