Housing shock!
Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

I also don't think the trouble is not being able to afford the room. It's getting one in the first place.

<edit> And if you think the hotel situation is bad now with four people to a king can you IMAGINE how difficult it would be limited to ONE? Dear god.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

Just has to be credit card bound. Easy system

Groups that are going together can use a single credit card to purchase badges or use individual credit cards for each badge. One credit card = one housing lottery entry.

Someone may or may not have two credit cards for a husband and wife, but this weeds out a lot of people that may be buying 5 or 6 badges. 

And the name on the credit card can book the hotel and that's it. So Sunny, Biff, and Mike JR, aren't all buying 3 separate badges with the same card and getting 3 hotel times with the same credit card. 

This doesn't stop large groups of individuals all shooting for a room though, but it shouldn't, since 5 people should all have the same chance of getting their own room as one person anyway. It may change some things though if the person who gets the room has to use their name and their credit card and someone else can't pay, etc.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam braewe

braewe wrote:
I also don't think the trouble is not being able to afford the room. It's getting one in the first place.
<edit> And if you think the hotel situation is bad now with four people to a king can you IMAGINE how difficult it would be limited to ONE? Dear god.
The situation referred to was when the poster was in college - i.e years ago. So I'm pretty sure it was done for $ reasons. You really don't jam 7+ people into a king bed because you like sleeping in a sardine can.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

We do 5 because we like to. As for one credit card one entry, thank goodness we have who we do in charge and not other people.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken irontk

irontk wrote:
We do 5 because we like to. As for one credit card one entry, thank goodness we have who we do in charge and not other people.
Right, because that way you can get an advantage over others.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk rayken

rayken wrote:
irontk wrote:
I have the exact same chance as you do to get a downtown hotel room. Exact same. .so does each of the people I stay with.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon irontk

irontk wrote:
rayken wrote:
irontk wrote:
I have the exact same chance as you do to get a downtown hotel room. Exact same. .so does each of the people I stay with.

Exactly. It’s fair for every person to have a chance at a room. Who they share it with is up to them. It’s not like a group of 5 is going on one $110 badges. They are spending $550 to your $110 rayken. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca

My friends, we all have a different definition of the word "fair," and it is not susceptible to change through any form of logic yet devised.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam irontk

irontk wrote:
rayken wrote:
irontk wrote:
Which in a group of 7+ people staying in a King bed room is unfair. That room is not meant for your party. Nor is it legal as it exceeds maximum occupancy.

So why should you have 7x the chances of a single person in getting a room you should not be able to legally use?

The system should be changed. Only let groups of 7+ book the doubles. Only let small groups or singles book the kings.

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan

I'm failing to understand the logic of having anything other than 1 badge = 1 housing lottery time being in any way "more fair".  I'm pretty sure the math of 1=1 checks out.

Normal
Small
Posted by jimmythesaint

It's not exactly 1 badge = 1 housing time, though. It's 1 badge 1 entry, assuming the badge owner is an adult. I bought 3 badges, 2 for kids - no extra times for them, and they couldn't log in to get a hotel even if they wanted to.

I'm not complaining, I had a backup downtown room, but it did make me think a bit. 

What's the downside to "1 entry in the lottery for every badge purchased". Someone buying for 5 people gets 5 entries, and they get the earliest time out of those 5 entries. Someone buying just for themselves gets just the 1 entry.

Wouldn't that be completely fair, and reduce the load on the system? No incentive then for everyone to buy badges individually? 

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint wrote:
It's not exactly 1 badge = 1 housing time, though. It's 1 badge 1 entry, assuming the badge owner is an adult. I bought 3 badges, 2 for kids - no extra times for them, and they couldn't log in to get a hotel even if they wanted to.
I'm not complaining, I had a backup downtown room, but it did make me think a bit. 
What's the downside to "1 entry in the lottery for every badge purchased". Someone buying for 5 people gets 5 entries, and they get the earliest time out of those 5 entries. Someone buying just for themselves gets just the 1 entry.
Wouldn't that be completely fair, and reduce the load on the system? No incentive then for everyone to buy badges individually? 
I'm sure I'm missing something...
Ah, I had forgotten about kids.  I should amend my math to 1 Adult Pass = 1 Housing Lottery Chance.

Normal
Small
Posted by jimmythesaint

But they are adult passes. I paid the full price, they can participate in events, but they're too young to book a hotel. 

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk squirecam

squirecam wrote:
irontk wrote:
rayken wrote:
irontk wrote:
Which in a group of 7+ people staying in a King bed room is unfair. That room is not meant for your party. Nor is it legal as it exceeds maximum occupancy.So why should you have 7x the chances of a single person in getting a room you should not be able to legally use?
The system should be changed. Only let groups of 7+ book the doubles. Only let small groups or singles book the kings.

I stay with 5.

the only thing that would eb wrong is if someone bought 5 badges, got 5 times and then returned 4.

but having a group of people sharing their times is a GREAT thing and should be encouraged, not demonized or thought of as "unfair" because its not.

if an

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

If anything is unfair, its less than 1 entry per one badge.
saying 5 people get 1 entry because they happen to know each other is strictly unfair.

Normal
Small
Posted by selene314

Look, the only system that is 100% "fair" mathematically would be to assign each badge holder to a random hotel room.
Clearly no one wants that. It would break up groups, even couples. It would force everyone to room with strangers, even those who can afford a room on their own.

Anything else is going to be "unfair" in some way. That doesn't necessarily mean worse.

The lottery gives an advantage to groups that cram 4 people into a king room. That is unfair. But it means more attendees overall will get to be downtown. I'm inclined to call that good. Even though it means I have to book out of block to get a room to myself.

For the record: I admit that the current system gives me an advantage. By convincing most attendees to book housing in February, there were plenty of out-of-block rooms available at decent prices several months earlier.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

Just because you have a group doesn't mean you win. Often groups have members who forget to get badges or just get bad times.I regularly go out of the block for my group.

I have no problems going that.

for me it's clear the most fair option is giving every person over 18 their own time.

as for packing a hotel, that's up to the hotel to restrict.

Normal
Small
Posted by irontk

I'm also not sure why you feel 4 in a king site is not fair or right.

it's literally what the portal gave me when I put in that I had four people staying.

Normal
Small
Posted by ploveking squirecam

squirecam wrote:
ploveking wrote:

Sharing a room with more people than you usually would is part of convention culture. Has been for decades. When I was in college we packed 7 people in a king room one memorable time. I am sure that's not even particularly big. I'm grown up and affluent now, but last year we did 5 in a double double. Embrace the convention experience, when in rome, share a room with a bunch of your friends and bring a cooler. 
Sorry, you will never get me to agree on this. This is in essence stealing. 7 people were not meant for that room. And the hotel has to provide 7x the water, towels, etc. There is no "convention experience" in being packed like sardines. What is actually better for the hotel's bottom line is having one person in a king room. One set of towels. Much less work for the cleaning staff.If you cant afford the downtown hotel prices without 7 packed in a king room, then you should stay at 2 king rooms outside of downtown where its cheaper. The answer isnt packing people in a room and creating a fire hazzard.

Stealing? Exaggerate much? I mean, it's practically murder if you want to get hysterical about things.  I'm not going to a hotel for their bottom line, and they know that. They also know roughly how many people are in the room when they come round to clean it and I will let you in on a little secret. If you don't damage the room, they don't care. They expect it. Back in those days the big deal was hiding the booze, because hotels still charged corkage sometimes. Now they will bring your cooler right to your room for you.

And I've been in an overloaded room when there was actually a fire alarm at 2am. Long story, someone down the hall didn't understand that the fire sprinklers are not load bearing. There was zero problem evacuating 5 people from a room meant for 4. We didn't even get hysterical on the internet. And this was at a one hotel convention. 

A convention is not business travel. It's a totally different experience. You should try it sometime. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord ploveking

>  There was zero problem evacuating 5 people from a room meant for 4. We didn't even get hysterical on the internet. And this was at a one hotel convention.

Nevertheless, hotel capacities *are* a safety issue, and that safety issue is due to fire codes among other regulations.  

It's not a problem when one room overloads by one person.  It *is* a problem when half the rooms overload by one person, or when one room overloads by 10 persons (and, yes, I've stayed in rooms that overloaded by that much -- other than getting a free room out of it, as the person who actually booked the room, it wasn't worth it at all).

It also depends on whether the hotel charges extra per person -- some hotels charge one rate for the first two, than X extra for each additional person.  If it is a hotel that does that, then yes it would be stealing because you are quite literally taking services that have a cost without paying for them.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 2 4 6