Best Options for Daily Travel from Hotel to Convention
Normal
Small
Posted by dcgragg13

Hey - Just booked our hotel but as I was not all that lucky with my lottery time, ended up getting a hotel by the airport. What would be suggested as the best way to get from our hotel to the convention centre each day? Not so worried about the evening, just want to make sure we can get there on time in morning without worrying too much about traffic. Do you know if the hotels organise shuttles? Would be great if they did - would even pay a fee for the convenience.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Not that I’m aware of. I would look into seeing if any fellow conventioneers in the area are looking to carpool. Personally I’d just Uber there and back. It’ll be the most convenient way to get back and forth.

Normal
Small
Posted by dcgragg13 lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
Not that I’m aware of. I would look into seeing if any fellow conventioneers in the area are looking to carpool. Personally I’d just Uber there and back. It’ll be the most convenient way to get back and forth.
Good advice - may have to start a carpooling thread. I also have to look and see how I could get on a wait list if rooms downtown become available.

Normal
Small
Posted by ditdit453 dcgragg13

dcgragg13 wrote:
lordnlkon wrote:
Good advice - may have to start a carpooling thread. I also have to look and see how I could get on a wait list if rooms downtown become available.

I'm in the same area and would be willing to carpool.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

So we are at Candlewood, which is about 3 miles away.  I was told there is a shuttle from the hotel. Great!  I asked how long it takes to get to the convention center and I was told it takes 30-45 minutes - they have to stop at hospitals and the such.  So, no hotel shuttle.  

I wanted to know how long Uber would take, but the front desk guy seemed more worried that I'd actually have to download an app to get Uber:)

Anyway, I am interested, too, in learning the commute time for those who used Lyft/Uber. Or just plain ole drove in.

Normal
Small
Posted by xthos

We did a little uber last year, the wait times are not that bad, 5-10 minutes I think.  We parked at a long term lot, near the hotel, so it was much cheaper than paying the per night parking (further hotels sometimes have free parking, like Candlewood by the airport was I think.).  When we had the airport Candlewood, we drove in earlier in the day and got parking at the mall.  Have to get to the mall before it fills up though, we missed that once, but found parking on the street with I think a meter (can't remember).

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon steffles

steffles wrote:
So we are at Candlewood, which is about 3 miles away.  I was told there is a shuttle from the hotel. Great!  I asked how long it takes to get to the convention center and I was told it takes 30-45 minutes - they have to stop at hospitals and the such.  So, no hotel shuttle.  
I wanted to know how long Uber would take, but the front desk guy seemed more worried that I'd actually have to download an app to get Uber:)
Anyway, I am interested, too, in learning the commute time for those who used Lyft/Uber. Or just plain ole drove in.

If you count wait time for the uber to get there, you’re probably looking at 15-20 minutes to get to the convention center.

Normal
Small
Posted by dcgragg13 ditdit453

ditdit453 wrote:
dcgragg13 wrote:
lordnlkon wrote:

I'm in the same area and would be willing to carpool.
Are you local with a car or staying at a hotel near the airport?

Normal
Small
Posted by borimov

The last time I was by the airport, I took the hotel shuttle to the airport and then the #8 city bus to the Convention Center. It adds some time rather than the airport/downtown shuttle, but its dirt cheap and if you catch an early one, its no big deal.

The downside, is since I stay late at the con, I had to taxi or catch a ride with friends back.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles lordnlkon

lordnlkon wrote:
steffles wroteAnyway, I am interested, too, in learning the commute time for those who used Lyft/Uber. Or just plain ole drove in.

If you count wait time for the uber to get there, you’re probably looking at 15-20 minutes to get to the convention center.
Thanks so much for the reply - that is completely doable.  It's about as long as our walk to Home2 suites - which we've had for the past two years.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon steffles

steffles wrote:
lordnlkon wrote:
steffles wroteAnyway, I am interested, too, in learning the commute time for those who used Lyft/Uber. Or just plain ole drove in.

Thanks so much for the reply - that is completely doable.  It's about as long as our walk to Home2 suites - which we've had for the past two years.

No worries. That could be longer if there are no close drivers but with gencon, I’m sure they’ll be a ton out trying to make money.

Normal
Small
Posted by dcgragg13 borimov

borimov wrote:
The last time I was by the airport, I took the hotel shuttle to the airport and then the #8 city bus to the Convention Center. It adds some time rather than the airport/downtown shuttle, but its dirt cheap and if you catch an early one, its no big deal.
The downside, is since I stay late at the con, I had to taxi or catch a ride with friends back.
May be a good option for getting there in morning but like you mention, taxi back late in evening.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone dcgragg13

dcgragg13 wrote:
Hey - Just booked our hotel but as I was not all that lucky with my lottery time, ended up getting a hotel by the airport. What would be suggested as the best way to get from our hotel to the convention centre each day? Not so worried about the evening, just want to make sure we can get there on time in morning without worrying too much about traffic. Do you know if the hotels organise shuttles? Would be great if they did - would even pay a fee for the convenience.

I stay at the Candlewood by the airport (I use points and the point cost is dirt cheap). I go with a group, and usually one person buys a parking pass, drives in, and we use their car for storage or in case of emergency, but I have primarily used Uber/Lyft/Cab with no major problems for the last three years. Unless you anticipate needing to go back and forth often, it's really not that costly, especially if you are able to split the cost. Maybe not cheaper than buying the GenCon parking pass, but definitely cheaper than parking in a public garage or downtown hotel lot. Late at night, I'd take a regular cab instead of Uber/Lyft- the only issue I've had with those services were late at night, and there's tons of cabs just hanging around the convention center with no waiting.

Normal
Small
Posted by lynniekitty steffles

steffles wrote:
I was at the Sheraton last year, I have problems with my ankle and walking long distances make my ankle very unhappy. I used Lyft/Uber many times. Prices weren't too terrible. The Uber/Lyft drivers were very kind, talked about the con with my mom, my husband, and me in tow every time. So it was cheap, easy, and saved my ankles. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

I always say that the best option in your situation depends on whether you have a car.  If you're driving there, of course you will have a car.  If you're flying you can rent one.  Then drive downtown and park in the World Wonders Garage for the Circle Center Mall.  Mall is connected right to the convention center.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.