Housing - just a suggestion...
1 2 4
1 2 4
Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal ytuni

ytuni wrote:
My only, and original, point was simply that people with disabilities that prohibit them from attending the con without a connected room should be able to get early housing block access, or at least an early time in the queue.

IMO like with a lot of things, the big issue there, is who defines what is a disability sufficient to warrant that, and how do you prevent people gaming the system?

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

I think it would be logistically impossible to verify "legitimate" disabilities. I mean, technically, needing glasses/contacts is a disability, one that affects a large percentage of con goers. Obviously such a thing should not qualify one for preferential housing.

Whatever list or criteria they came up with would almost certainly exclude something and also be open to abuse. We're gamers, we're very good at finding loopholes in rules.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal ryric

ryric wrote:
I think it would be logistically impossible to verify "legitimate" disabilities. I mean, technically, needing glasses/contacts is a disability, one that affects a large percentage of con goers. Obviously such a thing should not qualify one for preferential housing.
Whatever list or criteria they came up with would almost certainly exclude something and also be open to abuse. We're gamers, we're very good at finding loopholes in rules.

And in some states, so is being partially deaf or mute considered a disability..

Normal
Small
Posted by njseahawksfan garhkal

garhkal wrote:
ryric wrote:

And in some states, so is being partially deaf or mute considered a disability..
And, as previously stated in this thread, GenCon is legally not allowed to ask for details about diabilities so the whole idea is moot. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bithlord njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
garhkal wrote:
ryric wrote:

And, as previously stated in this thread, GenCon is legally not allowed to ask for details about diabilities so the whole idea is moot. 
It's allowed to ask, it is not allowed to require you to answer.  There are legitimate reasons to ask what the disability is (e.g. if you have a mobility disability your accommodation may need to be different than if you have a sensory disability).

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni bithlord

bithlord wrote:
ytuni wrote:My only, and original, point was simply that people with disabilities that prohibit them from attending the con without a connected room should be able to get early housing block access, or at least an early time in the queue. 
This is something I, and I am sure others, disagree with quite strenuously.  Nobody* can walk the distance from the ring hotels to the con, so that's a non-issue.  *I'm sure SOMEBODY hikes it in every day to save money, or whatever.  But that's extreme corner casing it.
I never suggested that anyone could or would walk from an outlying hotel. Transportation from an outlying hotel is simply more difficult when you have to transport a mobility device, Oxygen tank, etc. with you as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:And, as previously stated in this thread, GenCon is legally not allowed to ask for details about diabilities so the whole idea is moot. 

Which to me is borked..   How, if i can't ask about the disability, can i then make "all considerations to accomodate it"??

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

Check the post two above yours. Or perhaps my reply to your other 'i can't understand' post. Or any of several others.

Certainly you can ask what type of room is required. How else know to allocate one for a visually impaired or mobility impaired person? What you canNOT require is details about the disability. Just like a service animal. Is it one, or is it not. That's it. Not why. Not for visual or emotional or seizure-detecting. Just whether it is, or whether it is not. 

'I need a mobility accessible room' 'ok' is NOT the same as 'I need a mobility accessible room' 'Ok, do you have a scooter? Oxygen tank? Why /exactly/ do you need the room?

Again, I linked a very detailed answer to your confusion. Read it.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 2 4