Hilton Garden Inn Has out of block rooms
Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

So, I bit the bullet, and booked an out of block room at the Hilton Garden Inn.  They are around $418 - $460.  You can use points.  I had released one of those rooms earlier, but just could not see going to Gencon without being in walking distance.   There are more rooms at that hotel available and you can get a "suite" for around $435...which is not too terrible with a group.   The rooms are refundable until July 18th.  

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

Use points if you can. The normal points rates are 30000 per night and sometimes you can still book for that rate or perhaps 40000 a night. Much better than paying $400 or more.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam

Looked this morning. Still available. The points are 40,000 a night. You can reserve a room Wed-Monday for only 160,000 points, as the 5th night is free if you use points.

40,000 points per night is a really good rate at this point. Someone needing a downtown room should snatch this up.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

Tell me about it....I snatched the last 2 queen bed suite.  But I didn't have so many points.  I rearranged other trips and have lots of points, but that room is taken (by me) and they cannot change the payment without me losing the room!  I am so aggravated right now because I am back to paying $460 a night.  GRRRRRR. 

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam steffles

steffles wrote:
Tell me about it....I snatched the last 2 queen bed suite.  But I didn't have so many points.  I rearranged other trips and have lots of points, but that room is taken (by me) and they cannot change the payment without me losing the room!  I am so aggravated right now because I am back to paying $460 a night.  GRRRRRR. 
Thats the trick with Hilton.

Many times the rates on a $130 room goes to over $400, but the points on the same room are at 30,000 to 40,000 a night. Ive had several years where I was shut out of the lotto, but still got a reasonable downtown room rate because of paying with points vs cash. Plus, even if the room rate is 40k, staying five nights gives you the last one free, so its similar enough to paying 30k a night for 5.

Not sure how the rewards for the other chains go as I have everything run through my Hilton Honors account for the points. But with the lack of downtown rooms, its been very helpful to me.

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

Thanks for the tip. $435 plus taxes a night is a lot better than the $620+taxes I already had booked, and it's only one block farther out.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles squirecam

squirecam wrote:Thats the trick with Hilton.Many times the rates on a $130 room goes to over $400, but the points on the same room are at 30,000 to 40,000 a night. 
This I am doing next year.  I had no idea of that perk.  Thank you.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam steffles

steffles wrote:
squirecam wrote:Thats the trick with Hilton.Many times the rates on a $130 room goes to over $400, but the points on the same room are at 30,000 to 40,000 a night. 
This I am doing next year.  I had no idea of that perk.  Thank you.
No problem.

Its getting tougher. For example, the rates on the Conrad were normally 50k. For Gencon and other busy times (like July 4), its actually 70k or more. But the HGI seems stable at 40k, even if the room rate in dollars jumps.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

Since i have never (to my knowledge) signed up for any of these hotel rewards, how would i know if i even have reward points to use??

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

If you have not signed up, you don't have rewards.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster steffles

steffles wrote:Tell me about it....I snatched the last 2 queen bed suite.  But I didn't have so many points.  I rearranged other trips and have lots of points, but that room is taken (by me) and they cannot change the payment without me losing the room!  I am so aggravated right now because I am back to paying $460 a night.  GRRRRRR. 
Who did you talk to?  The reservation center or the hotel? 

Contact the hotel directly if you have not. Otherwise, make the change at check-in when you are are on site.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
steffles wrote:Tell me about it....I snatched the last 2 queen bed suite.  But I didn't have so many points.  I rearranged other trips and have lots of points, but that room is taken (by me) and they cannot change the payment without me losing the room!  I am so aggravated right now because I am back to paying $460 a night.  GRRRRRR. 
Who did you talk to?  The reservation center or the hotel? Contact the hotel directly if you have not. Otherwise, make the change at check-in when you are are on site.
I called them all:)  Front desk, Hilton Honors. I will definitely try to make the change at check-in.  If that works, I'll be thrilled.

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Since i have never (to my knowledge) signed up for any of these hotel rewards, how would i know if i even have reward points to use??
Since the vast majority of these are free, and many save your points for YEARS it is totally worth signing up. Many also have good perks even for the lowest tier of folks.

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam braewe

braewe wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Since the vast majority of these are free, and many save your points for YEARS it is totally worth signing up. Many also have good perks even for the lowest tier of folks.
what is best is to get a rewards program with a single hotel chain that offers a credit card and then run all your expenses through it. You get extra hh points for things like gas flights and even groceries. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.