Bad news. There is no more corn at Circle Center Mall.
Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Last year on these forums, I reported that there was a kiosk in the mall, right near the skyway to the convention center, called "Cup O' Corn".  I encouraged people to try it at Gencon 2017, because a business idea that bad couldn't possibly last until 2018.  Well, I was right, and it is now closed and replaced by a coffee stand. 

I felt it my civic duty to the Gencon community to keep you up to date on this story, and hope you got to try it last year.

Normal
Small
Posted by burrfoot72

I knew I was going to kick myself for not getting there last year.  

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz

Also, that damn escalator in the skyway from the mall to the convention center is STILL stairs.  It's not blocked off though.  And maybe "still" is not the right word, because today was the first time I've been there since Gencon.  It might have worked at some point since then.

But still, a broken escalator is so depressing.  That's just stairs.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
Also, that damn escalator in the skyway from the mall to the convention center is STILL stairs.  It's not blocked off though.  And maybe "still" is not the right word, because today was the first time I've been there since Gencon.  It might have worked at some point since then.
OK the fact that the escalator could still be broken is the laugh I needed on a crazy busy Friday. Even if its been fixed and broken again, its still funny. Thank you for the laugh.

Normal
Small
Posted by lordnlkon

Smart call on that not being able to last. I saw your post last year and just shook my head.

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

I would be interested in providing Cans of Corn.   Not to sell or anything that would breach convention rules, but I will have a few dozen cans of corn I would be willing to trade.  Can opener will not be provided, so bring your own.  

Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

Apparently, it closed in October

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz del_grande

6 months.  Wow.  Even faster than I expected.

Good thing it opened in May last year though.  With that kind of longevity, if it had opened in January or February it wouldn't have made it to GenCon 2017.

The coffee stand in place is the same general size, so I wonder if it's the same proprietor.

Kind of a shame, because it did make a decent snack.  There is a frozen yogurt store near it and I think it makes a good combination of savory and sweet.  Also there's the movie theater right above it, so you could have unpopped corn with your popcorn if you were able to smuggle it in.  I did this when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Now I feel like making periodic trips to the skyway to report on the status of the escalator.  Maybe once it gets a little warmer outside...

Normal
Small
Posted by glory

I stopped at the corn booth last year and kind of loved it. It had chili cheese fritos and cheese. It was a clever idea. 

I'm still bitter about Curritos though. That place was my favorite. 

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Broken escalator memories take me back to the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee the last few years Gen Con was there, with the exhibit hall on the third floor and the escalators that were broken more often than not.

Are these broken ones the ones in the actual mall, or the ones in the skywalk next to the parking garage, kind of across from the Hyatt? That is sad if they are still broken half a year later.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager ryric

ryric wrote:
Broken escalator memories take me back to the Wisconsin Center in Milwaukee the last few years Gen Con was there, with the exhibit hall on the third floor and the escalators that were broken more often than not.
Are these broken ones the ones in the actual mall, or the ones in the skywalk next to the parking garage, kind of across from the Hyatt? That is sad if they are still broken half a year later.
Its got to be the one's across from the hyatt in the garage. Its pretty fun and sad at the same time. lol

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz ryric

ryric wrote:
They're in the skyway, between the mall and the convention center.  Although there were broken escalators in the mall last time I checked.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz glory

glory wrote:
I stopped at the corn booth last year and kind of loved it. It had chili cheese fritos and cheese. It was a clever idea. 
I was about to say that it's still open, because that name is cemented in my head even though I've never been there.  As it turns out the location I'm thinking of is actually in Maryland, at a service area in the middle of I-95.  I just pass it every time I go from Indianapolis back to my hometown in Delaware. 

Normal
Small
Posted by scswan mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
glory wrote:
I was about to say that it's still open, because that name is cemented in my head even though I've never been there.  As it turns out the location I'm thinking of is actually in Maryland, at a service area in the middle of I-95.  I just pass it every time I go from Indianapolis back to my hometown in Delaware. 
Are you volunteering to bring us all corn this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz scswan

scswan wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
glory wrote:
Well, I am visiting home in the second week of June.  That's only what, 7 weeks before Gencon?  Sure.  I can bring eight or nine hundred pounds of 7 week old corn.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
scswan wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
glory wrote:
Well, I am visiting home in the second week of June.  That's only what, 7 weeks before Gencon?  Sure.  I can bring eight or nine hundred pounds of 7 week old corn.
I will have 750 ml of 20 year old corn.

Normal
Small
Posted by mstabosz nascragman

nascragman wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
scswan wrote:
mstabosz wrote:
glory wrote:
I will have 750 ml of 20 year old corn.
Compromise.  I will bring you a couple bottles of Corn Soda from Rocket Fizz over on Monument Circle.

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

I tried it last year and it wasn't bad, not very good either. Had they properly pan roasted the corn with some butter and salt it probably would have been awesome. Steamed frozen corn just didn't cut it though. Always sad to see a small business go though, regardless how how odd the idea.

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
I still walk up and down that stupid escalator every day. Yes, it's still broken, and has been broken for nearly a year. They had it up and running for a week, but then it broke-down again. I think the mall has given up on it at this point because they are planning a huge remodel, which will start this month.

Normal
Small
Posted by milich3456 mstabosz

mstabosz wrote:
The escalator wasn't working while I was in town for Indiana Comic Con. Hopefully it will get fixed for Gen Con.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post