Rec'd Eats/Drinks in Fountain Square Neighborhood/Virginia Rd/SE Indy?
Normal
Small
Posted by zazamos

What are some awesome restaurants and bars in the Fountain Square Neighborhood? Especially if you go later in the evening. Any locals here? Or any con-goers who have been here before?

Fountain Square is a few miles southeast from the convention center, so it's not exactly Gen Con attendee-friendly by walking. But per Indianapolis having a lot of incredible restaurants just outside of the downtown area, and I expect this neighborhood to not disappoint!

Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn

SMOKEHOUSE ON SHELBY

The Red Lion Grog House

Siam Square

La Margarita

Pure Eatery

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone zazamos

zazamos wrote:
What are some awesome restaurants and bars in the Fountain Square Neighborhood? Especially if you go later in the evening. Any locals here? Or any con-goers who have been here before?
Fountain Square is a few miles southeast from the convention center, so it's not exactly Gen Con attendee-friendly by walking. But per Indianapolis having a lot of incredible restaurants just outside of the downtown area, and I expect this neighborhood to not disappoint!

- Kuma's Corner: My favorite burgers ever. 

- Rook: Filipino-inspired fusion. There's an arcade bar next to it too.

- (For the morning after) Milktooth: Really good brunch and drinks, but service was super-slow when I went. 

- I've heard good things about Bluebeard but never been. Maybe this year. 

Not sure what kind of awesome bars you're looking for (craft cocktails or a fun place to party), but if you mean the former and like exploring, some friends and I headed northeast from downtown to The Libertine Liquor bar and really liked it. Nice chill break from all the craziness downtown.

Normal
Small
Posted by zazamos keithbradburn

The building the restaurant the La Margarita is in features a "Pinball Vault" that's open on the first Friday of the Month. HMM. Sounds like a neat thing to do!
fethbone wrote: - Kuma's Corner: My favorite burgers ever. - Rook: Filipino-inspired fusion. There's an arcade bar next to it too.
- (For the morning after) Milktooth: Really good brunch and drinks, but service was super-slow when I went. 
Not sure what kind of awesome bars you're looking for (craft cocktails or a fun place to party), but if you mean the former and like exploring, some friends and I headed northeast from downtown to The Libertine Liquor bar and really liked it. Nice chill break from all the craziness downtown.

I'm looking for great local spots and not necessarily tour-de-force epicurean masterpieces, so Kuma's Corner definitely fits the bill. But I live in the greater Chicagoland area and we have Kuma's Corner (two of them!) plus arcade bars aplenty.

I'm looking up stuff about Bluebeard and wow, the head chef has been in consideration for a James Beard award multiple times including this year. Definitely interested in visiting Bluebeard.

The Northeast is a chill break? Nah my dude, northeast part of Indy right outside of downtown along Massachusetts Ave. is JAMPACKED with locals and with good reason. I wholeheartedly recommend Bazbeaux for some of the best pizza in Indy and Bru Burger for some very awesome burgers. I want to try out the fried chicken at The Eagle's but the wait is insane. Bakersfield Tacos seems like an awesome place later in the evening, plus they're open super late.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone zazamos

zazamos wrote: 
The building the restaurant the La Margarita is in features a "Pinball Vault" that's open on the first Friday of the Month. HMM. Sounds like a neat thing to do!
fethbone wrote: - Kuma's Corner: My favorite burgers ever. - Rook: Filipino-inspired fusion. There's an arcade bar next to it too.

I'm looking for great local spots and not necessarily tour-de-force epicurean masterpieces, so Kuma's Corner definitely fits the bill. But I live in the greater Chicagoland area and we have Kuma's Corner (two of them!) plus arcade bars aplenty.I'm looking up stuff about Bluebeard and wow, the head chef has been in consideration for a James Beard award multiple times including this year. Definitely interested in visiting Bluebeard.
The Northeast is a chill break? Nah my dude, northeast part of Indy right outside of downtown along Massachusetts Ave. is JAMPACKED with locals and with good reason. I wholeheartedly recommend Bazbeaux for some of the best pizza in Indy and Bru Burger for some very awesome burgers. I want to try out the fried chicken at The Eagle's but the wait is insane. Bakersfield Tacos seems like an awesome place later in the evening, plus they're open super late.

I guess I should clarify walking to the Libertine and around that area was a relatively chill break from all the Convention Center and immediate area. There still were a lot of people but less dodging people with giant backpacks and bags of loot and just being out of the crush of Gencon craziness for a bit. :) After 3-4 drinks at the Libertine and taking a walk I was feeling a lot less stressed anyway.

Sadly, the other two Indianapolis restaurants nominated for JBF awards this years are pretty far away, with one (Cerulean) actually not being in Indy at all. I have personally been wanting to try Shapiro's on the south side as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy

Fountain Square has arguably the best dining experiences in Indy.

Milktooth is hand's down the best restaurant in Indianapolis, and is consistently awarded top restaurant status world-wide.  They are a not-so-average breakfast joint that is worth the time invested.  Enjoy the coffee bar while you wait -- I believe they strictly brew Intelligentsia coffees.  $20-30/person.

My personal favorite restaurant in Indy is right across the street:  Bluebeard.  They are a lovely Kurt Vonnegut-theme restaurant and bar with farm-to-table dishes and a great house-brewed ginger beer.  Sunday afternoons, they offer $1 oysters that move quickly.  $20-70/person.

Pioneer is on Fountain Square proper, and is very similar to Bluebeard.  I believe the head chef and/or owner use to work at Bluebeard, in fact.  They have great plates for sharing and a good enough beer/wine selection.  The beef tartare is simply amazing.  $30-70/person.

Thunderbird is a good option for a late night meal.  They have a decent beer menu and good enough cocktails to pair with chicken & waffles or poutine.  $20-40/person.

Kumas is one of the better burgers you'll find in Indy.  After opening shop in town, they later closed one of the two in Chicago.  Friends from Chicago say that the Indianapolis shop is better than the original.  Great beer selection, even better burgers.  $20-30/person.

Normal
Small
Posted by zazamos indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
Milktooth is hand's down the best restaurant in Indianapolis, and is consistently awarded top restaurant status world-wide.  They are a not-so-average breakfast joint that is worth the time invested.  Enjoy the coffee bar while you wait -- I believe they strictly brew Intelligentsia coffees.  $20-30/person.
My personal favorite restaurant in Indy is right across the street:  Bluebeard.  They are a lovely Kurt Vonnegut-theme restaurant and bar with farm-to-table dishes and a great house-brewed ginger beer.  Sunday afternoons, they offer $1 oysters that move quickly.  $20-70/person.
Pioneer is on Fountain Square proper, and is very similar to Bluebeard.  I believe the head chef and/or owner use to work at Bluebeard, in fact.  They have great plates for sharing and a good enough beer/wine selection.  The beef tartare is simply amazing.  $30-70/person.
Thunderbird is a good option for a late night meal.  They have a decent beer menu and good enough cocktails to pair with chicken & waffles or poutine.  $20-40/person.
Kumas is one of the better burgers you'll find in Indy.  After opening shop in town, they later closed one of the two in Chicago.  Friends from Chicago say that the Indianapolis shop is better than the original.  Great beer selection, even better burgers.  $20-30/person.

Thanks for the tips. After more looking around since last posting this, I'm definitely interested in checking out Milktooth & Bluebeard.

Any recommendations on American-style Barbecue? I was looking at City Barbeque but they have multiple locations, and I'm not sure if there's a difference between them.

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy zazamos

zazamos wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:

Thanks for the tips. After more looking around since last posting this, I'm definitely interested in checking out Milktooth & Bluebeard.Any recommendations on American-style Barbecue? I was looking at City Barbeque but they have multiple locations, and I'm not sure if there's a difference between them.
City BBQ is fine for a quick, cheap meal. Every city has a City BBQ.

I prefer Dick’s, but Indy isn’t exactly known for its BBQ.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.