St. Elmo's Worth It?
Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
hotrogue76 wrote:
St. Elmo's is not all it is cracked up to be. I am a local.  There are better steak places to eat at. The shrimp cocktails were not all that great to me either. I have been eating shrimp cocktails as long as I can remember at our family holidays.
I'm sure Aunt Linda's shrimp cocktail is better than St. Elmo's.

I've found it to be pretty good, but it is a bit pricey at nearly 15 bucks.  I guess it wouldn't be too hard for Aunt Linda to make a similar one:  Step 1:  Dice ALL of the horseradish and place into a fancy glass dish (Yes, ALL of it)  Step 2:  Mix in some red stuff  Step 3:  Serve with shrimp.  

Normal
Small
Posted by indyfoodguy

F'real though, Trader Joe's cocktail sauce is like 90% similar for 25% the price per bottle.

Normal
Small
Posted by bexleymonk

St. Elmo's is more than worth it.... if you and your crew are foodies.... if not do not bother... Also, they do one of the best rare(black n blue) filet this side of the Mississippi ...  I make it a point every year to visit St. Elmo's during Gen Con.... truly awesome

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

OK. So we went on Thursday. I would say it is worth visiting once for the experience, otherwise I am happy to stick to the Lounge for shrimp cocktail and drinks. Food was good, but not great, for the price point, and they overcooked my steak somewhat. Server was very good at serving (attentiveness, timeliness, refilling wine, etc.) but terrible as far as recommending wine. I gave it 3/5- satisfactory but not in a hurry to go back any time soon.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Burger Study is around the corner from his and seems affiliated. They offer the shrimp cocktail and their burgers are clearly a high quality of meat. I would recommend just going to Burger Study as it was fantastic and much more budget friendly. 

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Burger Study is around the corner from his and seems affiliated. They offer the shrimp cocktail and their burgers are clearly a high quality of meat. I would recommend just going to Burger Study as it was fantastic and much more budget friendly. 
May have consider that for a casual option next year. Thanks for letting me know they have the shrimp cocktail.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

If I may ask - what wine was recommended ? was it the server or the wine steward (I don't think he is an actual sommelier )?

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

I asked if they had a sommelier, and the server gave me a non-answer, "Well, I can help you with any questions with wine." 

We wanted a Zinfandel from the Dry Creek Valley AVA, and the server came back with a recommendation from Lodi. I again said, "I was really looking for a recommendation from the Dry Creek Valley in particular." and he threw out whatever their Zin available by the glass was, which I believe was also from Lodi, or at least not from DCV. Brought me a sample without me asking and I did not care for it. 

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Wow- I guess he was trying to not share his tip or thought he actually knew wine and thought all zin was the same  .Then again it may have been as simple as a sales contest. 
Their by the glass zin is not that good-in March  it was Klinker Brick Old Vine, 2015 If I remember correctly-.
They used to have a few DCV on their list - Ridge ,Lytton Springs is a personal  favorite but I think they had Coppola's Directors Cut and a couple of others .

Next year ,maybe try Blue Beard on Virginia. Eclectic but food is enjoyable. 

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Yeah, the by-the-glass wine was that Klinker Brick- the name sounds familiar. We decided to roll the dice and went with the 2013 Dashe, I believe- pretty good, a lot better than the Klinker Brick at least, haha. 

Personally I would love to try Bluebeard, but it doesn't work for our group dinner since it is "too far away" for some people in our party. Maybe next year I'll just wing it; I do have breakfast with a friend at Amelia's at least one morning of the con every year already.

Also glad to know there is another wine and gaming enthusiast out there. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Indeed very glad to know of another as well  - Sometimes I think that is why my group keeps me around -lol

What part of the country are you in ?

We will be switching our GM dinner from Sunday evening to Wednesday starting next year . we might do Blue Beard- or a private room somewhere -Steak (and Lamb)is always good .

I continue to bandy the idea about of a small game/ dinner in a private room setting - Maybe a Game of thrones  or a 18th century miniatures game  with good  food and great wine and after dinner drinks . Likely cost $100 or so pp. 

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

I'm in Michigan. I imagine you're from around Indy or at least travel there fairly often in you're that familiar with the menu?

We always do our party (as in group) dinner Thursday, because we're fresh, happy to get together, and ready to kick off the weekend. Sunday we're all pretty much ready to be Done, and those of us who drive usually leave around or a little after lunch. I think we might do Oceannaire next year, as one person is sick of steak and...almost all the other upscale restaurants near the ICC are steak-focused. I have gone off in smaller groupings and explored Virginia and Mass Ave a bit over the weekend to get some air. We went to The Libertine for cocktails, and this year they actually had some pretty sweet Gencon/nerd themed drinks. I did convince most of the party to do one of the beer tours this year, and it was kinda neat being carted around Indy with fellow con-goers in a slightly different context.

That would be a pretty cool thing, feasting and gaming in a private room. Definitely a way to glory in nerdess and feel like a baller at the same time. Depending on the game, the logistics of setting up and being served/eating at the same time could be tricky though.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

I used to live in Indy,-now just north of NYC- and get back often -  

Oceannaire is nice - and have some good happy hour specials . A bit further north in broad Ripple (about 7 miles ) is Brugge a Belgian brew pub - good beer and good food ,very good mussels .

What part of Michigan -I used to live in Ann Arbor (ok about 25 years ago -lol)

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Do you live in Westchester County?

Last year I had brunch at Milktooth, which is very scene-y as far as food, and I thought it was just OK. I liked the ambiance but service was super slow and their pastries were not great. Hot dishes were good though.

I live in the western part of the state. Closest city of size would be Kalamazoo. Tbh, I've lived in MI almost my whole life and have never been to Ann Arbor except driving by on 94. Not avoiding because I went to MSU or anything (I didn't), just never have had the need to go.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

I do live in Westchester -the north eastern part-outside Katonah  

yeah ,I wasn't impressed by Milktooth either . They definitely are caught up in being trendy .
have you tried Goose market ? on Delaware -they have a small restaurant alongside their deli .

Which town ,if I may ask ? I go through Kalamazoo  a few times a year - usually stop off at Bell's or Arcadia in Battle Creek  for brews and Rustica for food . Sometimes I drop off in Marshall 

Ann Arbor really doesn't have anything special if you aren't involved/interested in the University. Ok I do like the Earl  ,but everything else is pretty standard large university in small town stuff .

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Small world, I have been to Katonah several times for work. And the fresh croissants at La Tulipe Desserts in Mt. Kisco are my favorite.

I have not tried Goose Market, though I think in some thread discussing Indy food it was brought up. 

I live in the township around Mattawan/Paw Paw. I go to Rustica for work dinners sometimes. Personally for downtown Kzoo I prefer Food Dance (besides the 6 month or so period where they "updated" their menu for the worse last year), but there is a newer place called Fuze that is good too. It's out of the way, but I also like Bold down in Texas township. The tour of Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall is fun- only $10 and you get free beer and credit for a free pint glass. I'm not crazy about their beer tbh, but still worth going to.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

Very small world indeed (and small towns in that world )
La Tulipe is very good - I love the macaroons there .

I will have to try Fuze -I think I will be there late sept .

I agree Dark horse is fun ,beer average .
If you ever get to Dexter -Jolly Pumpkin is fun and the beer is good(if you like sours -which I do )
If you like mead - B.Nektar in Ferndale has some great ones  

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

Jolly Pumpkin and B. Nektar are widely available in stores here, though I've never gone to the home sites. I do enjoy them, I just don't drink craft beer or mead very much any more due to trying to cut down my sugar consumption.

I recommend the duck or the steak at Fuze. If they have the fried cauliflower app, that is very good as well. It's where Ari's London Grille used to be, btw.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

They are indeed high in sugar - Like cider (which I love ,unfortunately )
I will definitely try the Duck -one of my favorite foods. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
1 3