Trustworthy/on-time cab companies?
Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

I'm thinking I might have to get a room outside of downtown this year for budget reasons, and it seems like cabs are the best way to travel to the ICC from such places. So which cab companies in Indy are the most reliable, in terms of being at the hotel when you need them and getting to the ICC in a reasonable time?

Just an FYI: I'm not going to use Uber or Lyft (no smartphone, plus I don't trust their non-existent driver vetting processes), so that's right out.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

I can't speak for specific companies (wasn't paying that close attention), but if you're going to use traditional cabs only, I'd recommend staying by the airport. I stay in that area every year and the cabs seem pretty fast since there are already a bunch hanging out at the airport. Never had a problem with a driver getting me to/from my hotel. If anything, I hear more complaints about drivers driving too fast than going too slow.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

You'll have no problems with local cabs in Indy.  They all seem to be fine and I've never heard of any issues.  The cab drivers I have used (each year) are generally excited about Gen Con and the entertaining people that go to the Con.  

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Also, pay attention to the cab rates.  Unlike some cities, each cab company can set their own rate (base and by mile) and the rates vary quite a bit.  I had a trip with one company cost $7 from the hotel and $15 returning.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust traveller

traveller wrote:
Also, pay attention to the cab rates.  Unlike some cities, each cab company can set their own rate (base and by mile) and the rates vary quite a bit.  I had a trip with one company cost $7 from the hotel and $15 returning.

Interesting. Thanks for the info - I wouldn't have thought of that (I've taken a cab once in all my years of GenCon, and that was because it was raining).

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

In my limited experience with cabs at Gencon, it seems like the ones that are semi-dedicated airport to downtown cabs (advertised on their doors) charge more then then general purpose cabs.    I got a ride in one of these on the last day of Gencon a few years back.   I was wiped out from a long con, and just needed a ride for a few blocks (from the  OG Marriott to a garage less than a block past the Hilton where  my car was at.)   Got charged something like $12 for that one.  

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal traveller

traveller wrote:

Exactly.  Some are say 2$ for the first 1/5th a mile, 40 cents each 1/5th there after, others are based on 1/7ths of a mile or some other figures..

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

I'll take this time to also mention the shuttle bus from the airport to downtown indy. https://www.goexpresstravel.com/indy_express

$12 and it goes from airport to several major hotels downtown (same in reverse).  It has been my go-to airport->downtown transport if I am travelling alone or with 1 other person.

Normal
Small
Posted by jtzell

If anyone is in need of transportation from the airport to downtown or other transportation needs, we used a service last year called IN Route Transportation and it was excellent. The owner Jeff Bleicher is great to work with. In fact were using them again this year. If you are looking for something like this you can find him on Facebook (facebook.com/INRouteTransportation) or if you would like his number please message me as I don't know how the moderators would feel about me putting a phone number here. If is ok to do that then I will post it.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Probably never a good idea to post a phone number - anyone's phone number - on a site like this. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks roderick

roderick wrote:
Probably never a good idea to post a phone number - anyone's phone number - on a site like this. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

I agree... additionally, I heard it didn't work out so well for Jenny when Tommy Tutone gave everyone her number. 

Normal
Small
Posted by gregdc roundtop

roundtop wrote:
I'll take this time to also mention the shuttle bus from the airport to downtown indy. https://www.goexpresstravel.com/indy_express
$12 and it goes from airport to several major hotels downtown (same in reverse).  It has been my go-to airport->downtown transport if I am travelling alone or with 1 other person.

We are out at the BAYMONT INN & SUITES, which is "close to the airport".  So how did you get from the Airport to your hotel?  

New Post Sign in to write a new post.