Gencon-Themed Restaurants
Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Are there any restaurants that go all-in for visitors for the convention (like themed meals/free dice or drinks, etc.)? Last year was our first so we still really don't know what the "hot" spots are in the area. Any recommendations? 

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

The Ram springs to mind - they do a Warmachine/Hordes theme for the place every GenCon.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Yes, many. The Ram and Scotty's are the most prominent.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Thank you! Do you happen to know if there's a list, or is that just general con knowledge?

Normal
Small
Posted by ladyimm

That's typically general con knowledge -- I *think* they both put ads in the Gencon Manual AND in the coupon book... 

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Scotty's you need to arrive early at lunch for the daily dice. They will be out by dinner.

Sunday night scotty's is closed for a private event (gencon staff appreciation)

They both also are playing geeky movies. The ram in 2010 had big troubled in little China on. Scotty's in 2016 had batman v superman on when I was there.

Normal
Small
Posted by fethbone

I've been kind of surprised that more places don't theme it up for Gencon, but on the other hand, people are hungry and thirsty, so they'll go regardless. Others are correct about Scotty's and The Ram being the most obviously themed-out, though if I remember correctly a couple places do something small like have a Gencon-themed drink or special or similar. I don't know if it's relevant to your interests -I don't mean to offend if it's not- but I've heard Red Garter (Gentleman's Club, but technically they do serve food) does Gencon-themed stuff over the weekend though I've never been. 

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Thank you everyone! I will look at the program as soon as we get there - the only one that I had heard about last year was Scotty's - not the Ram, even. We're not looking for something like the Red Garter, but thank you for the information! :)

Normal
Small
Posted by llenlleawg

Granite City Brewery re-themed food items for Gen Con (although it was regular menu items renamed, as far as I can tell). Also, while it's a bit of a hike and didn't officially "theme it up" in any way, I got a discount at Three Carrots (a vegetarian spot at Indianapolis City Market, although I think they also now have a spot at Fountain Square) for wearing my Gen Con badge.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

This is great! I'm trying to put together a list for my group and I to try out while at the con. So far then I have Scotty's (dice and theme?) Ram's and Granite Brewery. :D (and of course whatever is listed in the program :) )

Normal
Small
Posted by casien

Last two years, Tavern on the South, did Munchkin themed menus and themes.

Normal
Small
Posted by komoridarkclaw

My favorite is the already mentioned Scotty's. We go there every chance we have over an hour break for food.

The place is decorated in nerdy stuff and/or their own Pathfinder themed stuff, they have a huge schedule of great movies playing all 4 days, the food is great in general and they have GenCon specific food and drinks. These are usually odd, but sometimes surprisingly tasty. There was a Buffalo "Chicken" wing dish last year made out of cauliflower that were so amazing. Ended up getting those 3 times last year.

And special dice are always fun :P Last year they had a different color for every day.

~Komori

Normal
Small
Posted by wantan

Scottys got bought out about a year and a half ago.  If you ask me their food quality, and service have gone down.  Their Prices have gone up however.  Not a big fan of that place anymore. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

I have to agree with this... I went there last year, and I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey

I'll pile on to this. My experience at Scotty's last year was terrible. As a former restaurant manager, I understand how hard the business is and try not to be overly critical. It was for this reason I gave them not one, but two chances to impress me.  What I got was overpriced, mediocre food. Despite being slow both times I was there, the service was some of the worst I've ever experienced. I've only gone to the RAM for drinks, but the service was great.

Normal
Small
Posted by delgrieve

Scotties vs RAM...
My one experience with Scotties was not good at all.  Snarky waitress.  Slow.  Expensive.   Tight fisted on their little die...Never been back.

The RAM has always been great.  A tradition for my group for many years to pick up our packets, go eat and look at our stuff.  Great food.  Good atmosphere. 

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

As a counterpoint my group has gone to Scotty's multiple times each Gen Con for the past 5 years or so and I have had almost universally great experiences. I have not eaten at the RAM but that is due to a pair of bad experiences with their host/hostess when trying to get seated a few years ago. We decided that we loved Scotty's and didn't want to deal with the RAM.

Most likely we have been really lucky with our Scotty's experiences and unlucky with our RAM ones. At either place getting an employee who is not up to dealing with the Gen Con craziness is going to leave a bad impression.

Also Scotty's has Dragon's Milk on tap.

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle aaronr

aaronr wrote:
As a counterpoint my group has gone to Scotty's multiple times each Gen Con for the past 5 years or so and I have had almost universally great experiences. 
This goes for us as well. We've really enjoyed Scotty's.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Scotty's and The RAM.  Both are good to us.  Give them both a try.  Silly to say which one is better.  They are both very crowded during Gen Con and their respective staff members work very hard and work long shifts to make our experience a good one.  The RAM is right around the corner from the ICC so it;s a shorter walk but Scotty's shouldn't be missed either.

Not so much Gen Con "themed" but also good to us gamers is the local Steak N Shake.  They feed us, get us in and out to seat more of us quickly and have always been pleasant to deal with.  I spoke to one waitress there two years ago and she said that she was working double shifts (12+ hours per day) there to get money so she could buy things for Christmas for her kids.  She also said that many of the wait staff drove in from other cities to help out during Gen Con and that we (Gen Con attendees) are legendary to deal with; always nice, dressed up in costume, lively bunch that tip well and that all of the restaurants in Indy look forward to the Con each year.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Scotty's and The RAM.  Both are good to us.  Give them both a try.  Silly to say which one is better.  They are both very crowded during Gen Con and their respective staff members work very hard and work long shifts to make our experience a good one.  The RAM is right around the corner from the ICC so it;s a shorter walk but Scotty's shouldn't be missed either.
Not so much Gen Con "themed" but also good to us gamers is the local Steak N Shake.  They feed us, get us in and out to seat more of us quickly and have always been pleasant to deal with.  I spoke to one waitress there two years ago and she said that she was working double shifts (12+ hours per day) there to get money so she could buy things for Christmas for her kids.  She also said that many of the wait staff drove in from other cities to help out during Gen Con and that we (Gen Con attendees) are legendary to deal with; always nice, dressed up in costume, lively bunch that tip well and that all of the restaurants in Indy look forward to the Con each year.
Wow. Having worked as a waitress myself for about 6+ years, that's amazing and impressive. I think if we temper our expectations a bit, Scotty's and the RAM are probably the top of our list, but a quick bite at S'n'S sounds good too!

Sign in to write a new post. New Post