Gencon-Themed Restaurants
Normal
Small
Posted by pcorey rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Scotty's and The RAM.  Both are good to us.  Give them both a try.  Silly to say which one is better.  They are both very crowded during Gen Con and their respective staff members work very hard and work long shifts to make our experience a good one.  The RAM is right around the corner from the ICC so it;s a shorter walk but Scotty's shouldn't be missed either.
Not so much Gen Con "themed" but also good to us gamers is the local Steak N Shake.  They feed us, get us in and out to seat more of us quickly and have always been pleasant to deal with.  I spoke to one waitress there two years ago and she said that she was working double shifts (12+ hours per day) there to get money so she could buy things for Christmas for her kids.  She also said that many of the wait staff drove in from other cities to help out during Gen Con and that we (Gen Con attendees) are legendary to deal with; always nice, dressed up in costume, lively bunch that tip well and that all of the restaurants in Indy look forward to the Con each year.
Dismissing our feedback as silly is a little condescending don't you think? My experience couldn't have been more different than the one you described. 

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick

Everyone's feedback is equally valid here. Some people have good experiences at the same place other people have had bad. Either people's expectations of "Good" and "Bad" service are different, or the staff at either restaurant are merely human, and service varies depending on what sort of day they had. Prices are also subjective; $10 for a meal might seem like a pittance, or it might seem like a lot. 

Using words like "silly" and "condescending" can lead to flare-ups that none of us want, even when "that's not how I meant it" - we can't see your grin, or your seriousness, except through your words. Choose them wisely. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by casien

We will be arriving early Wednesday. Do either Scotty's or the Ram, start their themes that day and I saw something about Dice, do they hand them out that day as well?

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811 casien

casien wrote:
We will be arriving early Wednesday. Do either Scotty's or the Ram, start their themes that day and I saw something about Dice, do they hand them out that day as well?

I can confirm the themes are there Wednesday but I'm not certain exactly when we start.  We usually get in late afternoon Wednesday and both places are typically going strong by then.  Not sure on the Dice, as I've never been around to get one from Scotty's. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Not sure about this year, but in the past The RAM would hand out dice on Wednesday, but it was associated with the gaming group "Kentucky Fried Gamers" and their Wednesday gaming day.  KFG has gone through some changes and last I heard they were still planning on doing something at The RAM and Scotty's, but I don't know the details.

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust rhone1

rhone1 wrote:
Not sure about this year, but in the past The RAM would hand out dice on Wednesday, but it was associated with the gaming group "Kentucky Fried Gamers" and their Wednesday gaming day.  KFG has gone through some changes and last I heard they were still planning on doing something at The RAM and Scotty's, but I don't know the details.

Good luck - I'm still trying to get an answer from them to my questions about running a game there.

Normal
Small
Posted by aklevah

Bee Coffee across the street from the ICC also themes their menu, has t-shirts, and does a dice give away too.

Normal
Small
Posted by bluemax

The new Re-Fried Gamers will be running events on Wednesday at both the RAM and Scotty's and likely have the Tuesday night dinner and Pub Crawl as well. Please check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/552414838446515/ for the latest information. We should be putting another call for events after Memorial Day with signups around the 4th of July (hopefully)

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord

Another vote for scotty's, staff dress up, restaurant decorates, free collectable dice, theme menu and the best thing they have geeky movies playing, just something special about sitting at the bar drinking good beer and watching a geeky movie.  Just all around a good atmosphere.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop elvinlord

elvinlord wrote:
Another vote for scotty's, staff dress up, restaurant decorates, free collectable dice, theme menu and the best thing they have geeky movies playing, just something special about sitting at the bar drinking good beer and watching a geeky movie.  Just all around a good atmosphere.

Full disclaimer... the free dice will be gone by 12:15pm. At dinner or mid afternoon there is no chance of getting them (From my experience and talking to staff at previous gencons)

Normal
Small
Posted by elvinlord roundtop

roundtop wrote:
elvinlord wrote:

Full disclaimer... the free dice will be gone by 12:15pm. At dinner or mid afternoon there is no chance of getting them (From my experience and talking to staff at previous gencons)
depends I have picked them up mid afternoon, but yeah if you wait till 6 at night your out of luck

Normal
Small
Posted by themotherofdragons

Primanti Brothers always has themed drinks and beers for Gen Con!!!! right across from steak and shake and diagonal from the ram! staff loves to dress up for this as well

Normal
Small
Posted by rbree

Both Scotty's and the Ram star the festivities on Wednesday wit free games hosted by the Re-fried gamers.  Scotty is further from the OFF but has free dice... A band on Wednesday usually and Star Wars Cosplayers.....

Normal
Small
Posted by gfmorse

Anyone know Scotty's movie schedule this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks gfmorse

gfmorse wrote:

It's at the bottom of this page

Normal
Small
Posted by gfmorse brooks

brooks wrote:
gfmorse wrote:

Thanks.  I was looking for that link, but couldn't find it.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks gfmorse

gfmorse wrote:
brooks wrote:
gfmorse wrote:

Thanks.  I was looking for that link, but couldn't find it.

Glad to help! I've never been able to find the link through Scotty's website, but it's been the same address for the past few years and easy enough to remember. They usually put the page up a week or two before the convention.  

Normal
Small
Posted by roanders

How about a movie schedule for The RAM?  I know they used to post it on the forums.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.