Don't lose hope
Normal
Small
Posted by slicer11x

This is the first year out of the last ten that I was not able to book a downtown room connected to the convention center on housing registration day. This is also the first time in ten years I will be dragging a 7 months pregnant wife with me. After diligently refreshing the housing portal these last few months, I managed to land a connected Marriott room. 

To anybody in a similar situation, give yourself options. I booked a refundable room out of block around the time of housing registration. I constantly checked both the housing portal and third party sites for the best deals. Most importantly, be aware of the important dates that people will be thinking about gencon. Dates like event registration, the day cancellation fees for block hotels go up, and deadlines for event submissions are all times where there might be churn in the housing stock. Good luck for everyone still looking, there is still hope. 

Normal
Small
Posted by cman811

Last year I didn't get a room until June or July.  I don't recall when the hotel starts charging for 1 night but I assume as that gets closer you'll see one pop on the portal every now and then.  Also, what I had to do was literally have it open on my phone or browser all day and refreshed it every 15 min or so.  It's tedious, but you need to be very diligent to grab that spot.  

Normal
Small
Posted by eden.rose

I managed to get a downtown room about 4 blocks away last week. I'm still hoping to snag a connected room in the coming months so fingers crossed for that!

Normal
Small
Posted by jimmythesaint

I've been watching closely, and have seen rooms at the JW Marriott open several times in the last week - including around midnight last night. Won't fit our group, but someone grabbed them pretty quick each time.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

I have not seen any for JW Marriott - if it's late at night, something tells me I'm going to be staying up a bit later for a while...

It does give me hope that they're at least popping up, even if I don't see them though. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust

Yeah, I haven't seen anything downtown in a couple months. Then again, I'm trying to get Tuesday-Monday booking.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

So great to hear these success stories of people being able to get the rooms they need!

Normal
Small
Posted by burrfoot72

I was able to grab a King at Hyatt Regency two fridays ago around 7pm central time.  It was only available for thurs, fri, sat nights but I went ahead and grabbed it anyway.  Put the wednesday night on the wishlist and it got filled two days later.  Just keep looking at random times.  Stuff does show up.  Ever since the lottery has started I have never gotten a downtown room on opening day but always have ended up downtown through the portal by the time the con rolls around.  Keep vigilant.  

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

I've been checking every day. 2.8 miles is the closest I have gotten thus far and I'm really hoping for a connected or within a 2-3 block area. Good luck to everyone and may there be enough for those of us who want them and have been watching. <3

Normal
Small
Posted by jimmythesaint

Thank you to whomever just dropped the double at the Embassy - we greatly appreciate it.

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Oh jeez. I leave my computer for an hour... Glad you were able to grab those, Jimmy :)

Normal
Small
Posted by bobvilla

The Last 4 years I've failed at the housing lottery yet managed to score a downtown room(3 times connected) by paying attention to the housing portal. And I don't mean obsessively so, I just check in once or twice a night while surfing the web and usually round about late June to mid July there are a lot of returns. If your not picky you can score a downtown room.

Normal
Small
Posted by mjlaba48

Snagged king at JW Marriot Monday at 11am.  Still showing king availability 

Normal
Small
Posted by polderan mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
Snagged king at JW Marriot Monday at 11am.  Still showing king availability 
The housing portal will always show the hotel you are currently staying at as available.  

I bet you are the one who beat me to the finish line for that JW King room on Monday! LOL

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

There is always hope...

Normal
Small
Posted by mjlaba48

Oh....Gee .....so sorry.... my wish for you then is that .....may the odds ever be with you.  

Normal
Small
Posted by jcirillo1971

I just went onto the housing portal on a whim and snagged a room at the Hilton on West Market.....inching ever closer to a connected hotel. :-)

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

Was refreshing all day and didn't see that - I'm glad some folks are having luck!

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust jcirillo1971

jcirillo1971 wrote:
I just went onto the housing portal on a whim and snagged a room at the Hilton on West Market.....inching ever closer to a connected hotel. :-)

Fraaaaaak! Seems like I'm missing every single in-block downtown room that pops up this year!

Normal
Small
Posted by robert227

Got a downtown hotel on Saturday, dont lose hope yet, I was near the end of the lottery.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post