Food trucks
Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
ladyimm wrote:
As long as Island Noodles and Hot Box Pizza is there again, I shall be content! :)

Is Hot Box any good? I must have walked by their cart a dozen times over the years, but I've never had one.

It's pretty mediocre pizza I think.  I haven't had it from the food trucks, but since I'm an Indianapolis local, I've had it at a few social gatherings.  They always put a handful of Tootsie Rolls in the box.  I don't know if the food trucks do that.  Best pizza in Indianapolis, in my opinion, has got to be Enzo's in southern Indianapolis.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

I"ve spoken to vendors who state they have been told they can't sell Pizza as Hot Box has an exclusive for that particular item.

And if you look under the sponsors, Hot Box is the official Pizza of GenCon, just as Sun King is the official Beer.  So no others are sold.  

As for the convention center, the vendor has a contract with a center itself.  GenCon would have no impact on that but the food trucks are contracted with GenCon so the con has control over what food is allowed.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric traveller

traveller wrote:
I"ve spoken to vendors who state they have been told they can't sell Pizza as Hot Box has an exclusive for that particular item.
And if you look under the sponsors, Hot Box is the official Pizza of GenCon, just as Sun King is the official Beer.  So no others are sold.  
As for the convention center, the vendor has a contract with a center itself.  GenCon would have no impact on that but the food trucks are contracted with GenCon so the con has control over what food is allowed.
See, that's the only info I've ever seen on it - someone who "heard from a vendor" about it. I consider an actual noncompete clause a valid reason to not patronize Hot Box because I disagree with such business practices, but I won't make that decision on what amounts to hearsay. This is easily the kind of thing that gets started one year because of a miscommunication, then propagates year after year by word of mouth.

To be clear, it sounds plausible for the reasons you list. But it's also plausible that it's just a rumor that the food truck owners take as fact because they don't want to get in trouble.

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

I'll concede a point on the "heard from a vendor".  Unless one of them would care to post the particular vendor contract details there really isn't more we can debate on that point.

So lets look at what is happening.  Since Hot Box has become the official pizza of GenCon no other food trucks have been selling pizza.  That means either the food trucks that sell pizza (I've found 4 on a quick lookup) don't feel they compete with Hot Box on quality/price/profit or are not allowed to compete at the venue.  The former is an unlikely as a business that is failing in those areas is soon gone, and what pizza place doesn't want to go head to head and show they are the best. 

The latter, a non-compete clause with a sponsor makes more sense.  Hot Box would have invested a large amount of money in GenCon advertising and product placement.  Part of the product placement would be to exclude other vendors from selling the same food.

Now to your last point that the truck vendors take as fact because they don't want to get in trouble, but the only reason that they would worry about getting in trouble is if there is a written agreement that says you are not allowed to sell 'x' food which points back to my latter point.

While the evidence is circumstantial, I believe the argument is sound.  And as I said, unless someone posts the actual terms of the contract, we are all just spitting into the wind

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric

Agreed. I can't find a copy of whatever agreement Gen Con has with the food trucks online. I do find this from the Exhibitor rules:

"R.3. Games and gaming accessories are the only products eligible for exclusivity. Non-gaming products are not afforded any exclusivity rights."

Which would seem to imply that pizza can't be exclusive, but that might only apply inside the exhibit hall. Either that or pizza is a gaming accessory ;)

Normal
Small
Posted by xone0101

i just looked at the list of trucks from last year. i only got through the first section and had to stop because my stomach is screaming for food. i legit cannot wait for this.

Normal
Small
Posted by jtzell

Has there been any word yet as to when the list will be released?

Normal
Small
Posted by jedikitty

In the past, it's usually been released a lot closer to the convention itself

New Post Sign in to write a new post.