Steak Break (Ruth's Chris)
Normal
Small
Posted by brumcg

Has anyone done the Steak Break from Ruth's Chris?  Thoughts?

Normal
Small
Posted by saberpilot

We did it last year with a group of five. For two sliders and the add-ons you get, I felt like $10-11 was asking a bit much, as I didn't notice a large jump in meat quality. It was okay, and decent enough, but I think we're going to skip this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I tried it four years ago. It was fine but not great. Haven't gone back.

Normal
Small
Posted by aldctjoc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't - or doesn't - St. Elmo's have something similar? I thought I remembered some posts about it, and it seemed like a good deal from there. 

Had no idea Ruth's Chris had it. It's a shame it's nothing special. You'd think that restaurant would know how to do these things right. 

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

Well, they're doing a high volume of bagged lunches. Their food is amazing, but no burger is going to be great after sitting wrapped for a while. It's fine for what it is.

The only thing I heard about St. Elmo is Gen Con's partnership with Harry & Izzy's last year where you could sample the St. Elmo shrimp cocktail.

Normal
Small
Posted by brumcg

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Normal
Small
Posted by jhs

Side note, but if you have never tried the st. Elmo’s/Harry and izzy’s Shrimp cocktail and it fits your budget, do it.  Your sinuses will thank you.

Normal
Small
Posted by aaronr

My wife and I did the Steak Brake the first year it was offered and our sentiments echo Alec's. For the price I'd much rather go to a food truck.

Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I'll be the naysayer here. I got the steak break 2 years ago (didn't have a chance last year, since I had games going during the pickup times) and it was a decent meal. It's not spectacular, but it was pre-packaged, and it was plain (meaning my picky kids didn't have to moan and groan over unwanted toppings/condiments). And it was good. 

The big advantage, IMHO, is that it's pretty fast to pick up. You go, wait a few minutes, and you get it. All done. Food trucks can be quite lengthy when your'e waiting to order and then waiting for your food. If you only have an hour between events, and you need 15 minutes of that to walk to your destination, the steak breaks are far more convenient. I'm going to pick up mine before NASCRAG this year. Without the steak breaks, I'd be resigned to whatever was the shortest food line at the convention center concessions... ugh. 

It takes a little longer, but another good pre-order faster-than-food-trucks place is Primati Bros. You can order online in advance and pick up. It took me about 20 minutes to do that last year, because I had to wait for a bit when I got to the restaurant. But it worked out fairly well, and was still faster than those mile-long lines at the food trucks. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

I've done it the past couple of years.  It's good, not great, better than fast food probably.  As the poster above pointed out, one of the benefits is that it is quick to get.  The food trucks are awesome, but the lines can be very long, the same goes for local lunch type restaurants.  Getting the Steak Brake is quick.  We are doing it again this year

Normal
Small
Posted by lilyjade

Dry, plain, and boring. Those are the words I think of when it comes to the Steak Break.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar

I got this as answer to Ruth's Chris Steak House about what is needed to pick up the pre-purchase:

You will need either your name, email used to order or phone number.  We can find you on our order sheets with any of those markers.Look forward to seeing you in August,

New Post Sign in to write a new post.