I-65 Closure during the convention
Normal
Small
Posted by deadsaidfred

Starting to think through our commute plans and was hoping some locals could chime in on ideas to best avoid the I-65 closure.  We're staying at the Residence Inn Northwest around 71st street and I-65 and we'll be parking at Gate Ten each day.  I'm thinking I'll drop my group off at the convention center each morning and then go park.  

From the maps I've looked at, I'm thinking we can take 65 then take MLK to West which appears to run right past the convention center.  Does this seem like a workable approach?  

Normal
Small
Posted by rodoubleb

MLK should be good in theory.   Perhaps someone local can give us an update regarding what to expect as far as backups?   

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

Agh.  I had a long post but browser glitch ate it.

Ok, so I come in from south Indianapolis and usually don't take the interstate because that's always slower for the short commute I have.  I just go up Madison/East Street.  The closure is on the north side so I don't get it.  From what I've been hearing from co-workers who do live out in that direction, they've been jumping on to I-465 and it's been okay.  Commuters could just take I-70 to the downtown area instead of I-65.  The Residence Inn on the northwest side that was mentioned is right off I-465.  I-465 loops around the city and connects to all the major interstates in the area.  You could take that southbound about 14 miles and get to I-70 East.  Take the West Street exit of I-70  and you're pretty close to Gate Ten.

I-465 is usually pretty slow during rush hour, but not bad other times of day.  The days are nice and long this time of year so you'll have a better chance of driving it in daylight, so you don't have to deal with the stress of dodging barely visible potholes and bulges.

Normal
Small
Posted by ascantla

We commute about an hour from where we live. And it's straight down I-65. We were looking at getting off at exit 117 right onto MLK which turns into S West St. and goes right to the convention center. We could go around 465 and come up I-70, but that is a bit out of the way. Going to try it out on Wednesday before the Con. We don't go to Indy that much, event though we're only an hour away, so anyone who is more familiar and can offer some tips, it would be appreciated. 

Normal
Small
Posted by bollermanrkr

Double check all navigation the days before convention. There are several construction projects going on around the city with lane closures and full highway closures. I'm not going to list them all as some may be done before the con. Just plan on being navigationally fluid. There's even a sinkhole issue downtown. Yay.

Normal
Small
Posted by thag13 ryric

ryric wrote:
I used to come up I-65 from Lexington through Louisville, but I'm avoiding it now because of the new toll bridge in Louisville. It's only a couple miles difference to go via Cincinnati instead. I have to pick my brother up from the airport early Wednesday morning, so really I'll be coming in from that direction. 
My understanding is that Cincinnati has a lot of construction going on and quite of one lane traffic.  Ill pay the 4 dollars to avoid that

Normal
Small
Posted by mundane

Getting around Cincinnati on I-275 to I-74 will be no problem. However, I-74 in Indiana is down to one lane each way between Batesville and New Point.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric thag13

thag13 wrote:
ryric wrote:
I used to come up I-65 from Lexington through Louisville, but I'm avoiding it now because of the new toll bridge in Louisville. It's only a couple miles difference to go via Cincinnati instead. I have to pick my brother up from the airport early Wednesday morning, so really I'll be coming in from that direction. 
My understanding is that Cincinnati has a lot of construction going on and quite of one lane traffic.  Ill pay the 4 dollars to avoid that

If it just a matter of paying the $4, sure. But my car is a lease, and so the charge goes to my leasing company, and they treat it as a ticket, including sending me a nasty letter and tacking on fees. It costs me about $34 to cross that bridge.

Normal
Small
Posted by rayken

Louisville has a non-tolled bridge but it's currently under construction. It's called Second Street Bridge, or 31.

Your best bet is to just navigate into the city and avoid tolls with google maps if you have it. If not, just get on second street and cross that way to avoid paying $4.10 for a single crossing because if anything happens and it's late at all they will charge you insane amounts.

You can also go 64 west and take the Sherman Mitton bridge. Slightly out of the way but much nicer than paying $4.10 and you can get right back to 65 north.

Normal
Small
Posted by ryric rayken

rayken wrote:
Louisville has a non-tolled bridge but it's currently under construction. It's called Second Street Bridge, or 31.
Your best bet is to just navigate into the city and avoid tolls with google maps if you have it. If not, just get on second street and cross that way to avoid paying $4.10 for a single crossing because if anything happens and it's late at all they will charge you insane amounts.
You can also go 64 west and take the Sherman Mitton bridge. Slightly out of the way but much nicer than paying $4.10 and you can get right back to 65 north.

What about 265 north around the outskirts? Google maps indicates that there is a "Lewis and Clark" bridge there. I've been on 265 before but never quite up to the river. It looks like it connects up to 65 N around exit 6.

Normal
Small
Posted by blackcatmoebius

I live in northwest Indy, and work near downtown, so I’ve been dealing with the I-65 issue for two weeks.

- I65 in town has less traffic, but the backup at the 21st street exit can get long, especially during the morning rush.

- 21st and MLK are both busier as well, especially at lights.  I don’t take West Street, but it might not be affected by this rerouting.

- I ‘ve been getting ETAs from Google Maps to work - they usually end up being five minutes or so less than the actual time.  I think it underestimates some of the slowdowns.

My feeling:  If you’re coming in on 65 from the north, it’s probably safe to take 21st/MLK/West - but if you need to make an event, allow 10 minutes more than usual/what Google says.

Normal
Small
Posted by aj_simon

Any suggestions for driving in from Carmel?  Could I just take Meridian South, jog on 30th to Capital then turn on McCarty to Gate 10?  Thanks!

Normal
Small
Posted by don_1000

Coming in from Greensburg. Is it I-74 then I-465 the north on I-65? I am from out of country so will the construction will affect my route drastically?

New Post Sign in to write a new post.