Best places to eat? 1st timer
Normal
Small
Posted by jm.spellslinger

I have always enjoyed breakfast at the JW. I also had an incredible dinner there a few years ago too. 

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight wrote:\Harry and Izzy's and St Elmo's share the same kitchen and have many of the same menu items. I don't know how you could rate one so highly and one at the bottom of the high end restaurants.

Because when I go to a steakhouse, I expect a really good steak dinner.

Ruth's Chris has a consistent, excellent steak menu (their filet mignon is superb).

St. Elmo's, not so much.

Normal
Small
Posted by deadsaidfred

Have to second the JW breakfast - last year my son had a breakfast burger every morning.

I think he enjoyed that as much as any demo or event we participated in!

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
And if you don't mind taking a bit of a walk, Shapiro's delicatessen is a surprisingly excellent kosher deli:
https://shapiros.com/locations/indianapolis/

I keep hearing about this place and thinking "I can't wait for GenCon so I can try this!"

A moment later I realize "Hey dummy.  You live in Indianapolis.  You go that way on your way home from work.  You can go literally any day."

Normal
Small
Posted by ytuni

If you go through the mall on your way to the ICC in the morning you could stop at Subway in the food court. The last couple years they've been opening for breakfast to feed the hungry gamer hoard. They sell lunch and breakfast options at that time. 

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar buffythecatslayer

dkrantz152 wrote:
The idea of using Gen Con as a place to eat anything but basic sustenance seems strange to me.  I can get food where I live.  Any time taken to eat at the Con cuts into time I could be gaming :-)

^^^ This ^^^

There are going to be a LOT of people trying to forage for food in the area.  Expect a long long line whereever you go without reservations (if any possible).  Then count yourself lucky if you do get a short line.

The convention center food varies.  I detest their salads, but pizza and a hot dog are good for a quick meal.  I adore their loaded nachos when they have them, and frequently get their over-priced but RIGHT THERE sodas. :)

Welcome to the convention!  You will be amazed at what you didn't know existed.  Don't be frustrated, it is overwhelming and best you can do is hold tight to that tiger until its over.

Normal
Small
Posted by cinnibar rutherfordr

rutherfordr wrote:
monkeyknifefight wrote:\Harry and Izzy's and St Elmo's share the same kitchen and have many of the same menu items. I don't know how you could rate one so highly and one at the bottom of the high end restaurants.

Because when I go to a steakhouse, I expect a really good steak dinner.Ruth's Chris has a consistent, excellent steak menu (their filet mignon is superb).
St. Elmo's, not so much.

Ruth's Chris was making available a sliders lunch for Friday/Saturday for pre-order.  I'm trying that this year to see if will calm my ravenous impulses. :)

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks cinnibar

My experience may not be at all typical, but I did those sliders two years ago and just wasn't very impressed. I have a feeling it may have to do with them being made well ahead of time, wrapped in foil, stuffed in paper sacks, and then sitting around until lunch time. I found them a bit dry and honestly rather flavorless. 

It's entirely possible they've refined the process and/or I just got a bad pair of hamburgers, but I'm not going to try them again. On the plus side, they were very efficient at keeping the line moving quickly. 

Normal
Small
Posted by gswest

I've tried the Ruth's Chris slider lunch a couple of times and it never has been very good. There are places within a very short walk of the convention center where you can mobile order decent food - Panera is close as are a few others. But while in Indy I suggest you try to avoid chains at least for a bit and enjoy some local places. Shapiro's and St. Elmo's are just two examples but there are plenty of others.

Normal
Small
Posted by jhs

Shapiro’s is amazing.  I forgot to go last year, was sad.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

I went to Shapiro's on Saturday and it was overpriced for what I got.  I got a mediocre roast beef sandwich for $15, then potato salad, a single deviled egg, bag of chips, and bottle of soda for another $10.  It has a good ambience and the cafeteria style ordering was neat, but the price was nuts.

Normal
Small
Posted by stevespikes

Here are some of my favorites. 
For breakfast we always head over to the Subway in the Hyatt.  I know it's a chain, but it's better than Steak & Shake (Everyone who's anyone goes there).  On Sunday, the last day, we stay at The Westin, and have breakfast in the No Name Lounge. 

Lunch, I leave it up to the the Fates, and whatever I have time for. 

Dinner, we go to The Claddagh at least one night.  We also to Scotty's Brewhouse on Saturday night. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.