Bird electric scooters
Normal
Small
Posted by keithbradburn

Bird Elctric Scooters

I could not find other post about them but they are new to downtown.

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski

The scooters are nice if you can find enough of them for your group. They make everything seem so much closer. I'm a charger for Bird, I usually drop 2 or 3 of them near the intersection of Maryland and Meridian around 8 am. I get $5 per fully charged scooter battery. It costs me about $0.75 worth of electricity per scooter. I turn a small profit but it's enough to cover my use of the scooters.

Normal
Small
Posted by acedaryl stepamilewski

stepamilewski wrote:
The scooters are nice if you can find enough of them for your group. They make everything seem so much closer. I'm a charger for Bird, I usually drop 2 or 3 of them near the intersection of Maryland and Meridian around 8 am. I get $5 per fully charged scooter battery. It costs me about $0.75 worth of electricity per scooter. I turn a small profit but it's enough to cover my use of the scooters.
How many scooters are floating around downtown? I could see them coming in handy when running between hotels and restaurants.

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski acedaryl

acedaryl wrote:
stepamilewski wrote:
How many scooters are floating around downtown? I could see them coming in handy when running between hotels and restaurants.
about 400 right now, but as more companies jump into the Indy electric scooter rental market, I'd imagine in the near future we should see more.

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski

Most of them disappear around 6 pm though because chargers like me are trying to take them home to earn some money. Chargers usually bring them back around 7 to 8 am otherwise they get charged a fee for making them unavailable.

Normal
Small
Posted by dkrantz152

There was another thread that said that the scooter companies had not gotten approval for deploying them, and that they were all being shut down until they'd worked out the permits.  I guess they did, or are the companies just operating on the DL?

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

One company pulled the scooters, the other didn't. I am not really sure if they needed approval (legally) but the city is making a stink for what they claim to be safety reasons. 

Normal
Small
Posted by acedaryl bakermouse10133

bakermouse10133 wrote:
One company pulled the scooters, the other didn't. I am not really sure if they needed approval (legally) but the city is making a stink for what they claim to be safety reasons. 

I'm hoping they stick around for the convention. Being able to cover several blocks quickly would be really nice.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks bakermouse10133

bakermouse10133 wrote:

The last I heard was that the city-county council was going to hold hearings or vote on legislation or something similar on July 16th to regulate these companies. Something along the line of needing to get approval and pay for a license to operate as well as paying fees based on their volume. Apparently there's also questions of who is liable in the case of an accident... the company, the rider, or some combination as well as logistics of where scooters can be left after charging and things like that. 

Normal
Small
Posted by dkrantz152

From this thread, it seems like there are currently no scooters in downtown.  Maybe the July 16th meeting will change that, but if they have to work out licensing then, iffy that they'd be back by August 1.

Normal
Small
Posted by rutherfordr

Scooter companies: 800 new electric scooters on the streets of downtown Indianapolis.

GenCon: 60,000 extra people on the streets of downtown Indianapolis.

I can see no way that this plan could possibly fail!  :o

Normal
Small
Posted by trouzy

Both companies have pulled out anyway.  Tho lime is hoping to be back by Aug 1st.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

I've always wondered, if the scooter's get driven on the road (as i've often seen), shouldn't the one driving it, have to abide by the same traffic laws even bikers do?

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks

From what the news has been reporting, the streets and bike lanes are currently the only legal places to ride the scooters in Indianapolis and I'd have to guess they need to follow all the same traffic laws as everything else on the road.

However you know how people are and I'd be curious how many riders were cruising down the sidewalks illegally before the two companies pulled out and how much of a menace it made it to walk on the sidewalks. 

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski brooks

brooks wrote:
From what the news has been reporting, the streets and bike lanes are currently the only legal places to ride the scooters in Indianapolis and I'd have to guess they need to follow all the same traffic laws as everything else on the road.
However you know how people are and I'd be curious how many riders were cruising down the sidewalks illegally before the two companies pulled out and how much of a menace it made it to walk on the sidewalks. 
Just about everyone was cruising down the sidewalks on the scooters. The scooters were equivalent to bicycles on sidewalks. A slight menace but not note worthy. It's kinda hard not to in Indianapolis. Not all streets have a bike lane, and joining traffic on these tiny little scooters is a very awkward feeling. Traffic is going +25 mph and the scooter tops out at 15 mph, making you feel like a small, relatively slow, moving obstacle in traffic (much like a deer trying to cross the road). On a normal day in Indianapolis (not during large conventions) the sidewalks are not very crowded and become a very tempting route.

Normal
Small
Posted by brooks stepamilewski

stepamilewski wrote:
brooks wrote:
Just about everyone was cruising down the sidewalks on the scooters. The scooters were equivalent to bicycles on sidewalks. A slight menace but not note worthy. It's kinda hard not to in Indianapolis. Not all streets have a bike lane, and joining traffic on these tiny little scooters is a very awkward feeling. Traffic is going +25 mph and the scooter tops out at 15 mph, making you feel like a small, relatively slow, moving obstacle in traffic (much like a deer trying to cross the road). On a normal day in Indianapolis (not during large conventions) the sidewalks are not very crowded and become a very tempting route.

That's good to know, thanks! It's probably going to be tight for the two companies to sort things out with the new legislation by Gen Con 2018, but it will be interesting to see how things work out in future years. As someone else stated... 800+ electric scooters and 60,000+ attendees in a relatively small area. 

Normal
Small
Posted by stepamilewski brooks

brooks wrote:
stepamilewski wrote:
brooks wrote:
That's good to know, thanks! It's probably going to be tight for the two companies to sort things out with the new legislation by Gen Con 2018, but it will be interesting to see how things work out in future years. As someone else stated... 800+ electric scooters and 60,000+ attendees in a relatively small area. 
Probably the worst thing about them taking the scooters off the streets is me losing my hobby money for charging scooters :p

New Post Sign in to write a new post.