Worst Case Scenario? ( Locked)
Normal
Small
Posted by j7cheng

Hello,

I'm just wondering for a friend that I'm going with, who opted to have the badge sent to a friend of his in case he wasn't around to sign for it due to vacation days. However, the other friend might have lost the badge in this approach. This kind of puts a wrench on our trip. With the badge sell out and if the badge isn't found, I was wondering if it was still possible for my friend to repurchase his 4-day badge at Gencon, as is typically the policy for lost badges/tickets.

Thank you.

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

I saw this in another thread here, posted by Mike Boozer, so it's official (he emphasized the bolded text).  So at least you know badges/tickets can be replaced if they are lost or stolen, despite the sell-out.  Unfortunately, you'd have to pay full price for them...

Here is the policy:
Lost & Misplaced Badges & Event Tickets
We cannot replace lost, stolen or forgotten badges and/or event tickets. Please be responsible with your convention materials. Lost, stolen or forgotten items must be repurchased at full cost. It is recommended you check with the Gen Con Show Office to see if your materials have been turned in to Lost & Found before buying new materials. Gen Con LLC assumes no responsibility for lost, stolen or forgotten materials.Gen Con LLC is not responsible for items lost in the mail (via the U.S. Postal Service) or items marked “delivered” by the USPS tracking system. If you chose to have your items shipped via USPS, we will reprint your badge and event tickets, as long as the USPS site lists your package as “lost” or not yet delivered. If you chose USPS and the package is listed as “delivered”, you will be responsible for purchasing a new badge and any associated tickets. Any returned mail will be available for pick-up at the Will Call kiosk onsite.

To be clear you can repurchase items that are lost, stolen, or forgotten. They are still in the system. We will replace USPS items if they are marked "lost" by the USPS, or if they were not delivered. If they are returned to us you can pick them up at the Will Call kiosk onsite.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle stiehle

Gah!  Deleted duplicate post.

Normal
Small
Posted by j7cheng

Paying full price is fine, so long as we don't have to write off the trip. Thank you for the answer.

Normal
Small
Posted by jcirillo1971

I would check with GenCon customer service first.   If the badge/tickets got lost in the mail and its proven that way, that is one thing.  If your friend lost the package after he signed for it, because the 4 Day Passes are sold out, they might not now replace it.  Definitely worth asking before being unpleasantly surprised upon your arrival to GenCon

Normal
Small
Posted by divachelle jcirillo1971

jcirillo1971 wrote:If your friend lost the package after he signed for it, because the 4 Day Passes are sold out, they might not now replace it.  
Mike Boozer said: To be clear you can repurchase items that are lost, stolen, or forgotten. They are still in the system.

Normal
Small
Posted by jcirillo1971

If that is the case, I can see a lot of scams going on.  If one's friend did not purchase their 4-Day Pass in time, one can falsely claim they lost their own badge and then get it fully replaced and give it to the friend.  While people check badges going into the dealer's hall and whatnot, nobody ever checks names.   

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal jcirillo1971

jcirillo1971 wrote:
If that is the case, I can see a lot of scams going on.  If one's friend did not purchase their 4-Day Pass in time, one can falsely claim they lost their own badge and then get it fully replaced and give it to the friend.  While people check badges going into the dealer's hall and whatnot, nobody ever checks names.   

That might change though WITH the sellout..

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle jcirillo1971

jcirillo1971 wrote:

I would think that you would have to show ID to get your replacement badge and tickets.  Probably also the credit card number you purchased it with, address - basically everything a hotel requests to identify you.  That's a guess though, but it makes sense.

Normal
Small
Posted by hoidy stiehle

stiehle wrote:
jcirillo1971 wrote:

I would think that you would have to show ID to get your replacement badge and tickets.  Probably also the credit card number you purchased it with, address - basically everything a hotel requests to identify you.  That's a guess though, but it makes sense.
The person getting the replacement badge would have all of that information (since it is them), they would just give one of the 2 badges they have in their name to a friend who did not get a badge. Hard for Gen Con to curb this though as they wouldn't want to deny people who legitimately lost their badge or never received it in the mail. While I'm sure it will happen this year, I can't imagine it would be in large enough numbers to be a problem.

Normal
Small
Posted by garhkal

And how many people would count as "large enough numbers to be a problem"??  .1%?  1%?  5%??

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

[This post has been removed]

Normal
Small
Posted by austicke

I sure don't understand your logic, braewe. It's difficult for me to imagine that anyone could think that fraudulently attending Gen Con without paying isn't theft.

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer

Attempting to repurchase a badge that is not lost would be considered grounds for banning that person from attending Gen Con this year and subsequent ones as well.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.