Construction on I-65
Posted by zelgar

For anyone traveling on I-65, there will be a major renovation that is planned from July 1 - August 5 this year.  I-65 will be closed on the North side of downtown during this time, as well as a bridge on the NW side of Indy.  For more details, go to https://www.in.gov/indot/3687.htm

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

They've been making announcements on the radio lately.  I don't usually take I-65.  I'm on the south side of Indianapolis and it's quicker to take side streets; mainly Madison and East.  I'm worried about how detouring commuters is gonna affect my morning commute.

Posted by stormforge

I am coming from west side of Michigan, I usually take I-69 to M. Luther King to get to the downtown, should hopefully be construction free there.

Posted by don_1000

Can I take Bluff road coming in from the south?

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent don_1000

don_1000 wrote:
Can I take Bluff road coming in from the south?

I'm not sure where Bluff Road is, but if you approach from the south, you shouldn't be affected.  You can also detour around by taking I-465 to I-70.

Posted by aldctjoc don_1000

don_1000 wrote:Can I take Bluff road coming in from the south?

Where are you coming in from? If you're going north on State Road 37, then moving over to Bluff is a pretty short way to get to West Street. But from any other direction I'd say it's a bit out of the way. . 

Posted by don_1000

Tentatively I would stay at Baden Manor area at Epler and Bluff streets. Is it going to be a pain to go on the I-65?

Posted by aldctjoc don_1000

don_1000 wrote:Tentatively I would stay at Baden Manor area at Epler and Bluff streets. Is it going to be a pain to go on the I-65?

I don't know if I'd say it's a pain. Rather, I think it's going well out of your way to get to the convention center. Bluff -> Thomspon -> East St. -> I-465 -> I-65. Not that big a deal.

But after looking for Baden Manor on the map, I think there's an easier route, albeit with drawbacks: Bluff Rd runs into West Street eventually. West street goes right past the ICC. If you simply follow Bluff Rd. north and just keep going straight, you'll get to the ICC. You don't even have to turn onto West St., you just keep going straight while Bluff forks off to the right. And after a bit, you'll see the convention center on the left (edit: On the right! Sorry). Can't miss it, especially since you'll have to drive past Lucas Oil Stadium first, which will be a sign that you're almost there.

What's the drawback? For one, West St. goes through an industrial section where the street is not well maintained. It's bumpy and has potholes. On top of that, you may occasionally have to deal with the big class 8 trucks in some rather narrow lanes. And to add insult to injury, it can be dusty at times. So it'll be a bumpy, shaky section of street where you may be crowded out by a semi or dump truck, and you'll probably have to wash your car at the end. BUT, again, it'd be a completely straight shot for you. 

When I come to Indianapolis from southern Indiana on State Road 37, this is the exact route I take. I know it well, but I also understand if you'd want to avoid it. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.