Why did you change the dates???
Normal
Small
Posted by bigdill23

I first attended GenCon in 2017, and it was exactly when it needed to be.  A long weekend, not long after school has already started, but also not so close to the beginning of school that it made my wife gripe.  Now you have ruined that possibility.  Not only is GenCon the weekend before school starts for many people, it's also in that time of year when many families are making plans to take one last vacation before school starts.  Hotels know this, so their prices are higher with the new dates than they are later in August.  Why would you do this??  I see no reason to have made this change.  This is very frustrating, because it has likely eliminated me from being able to come to GenCon ever again.

Normal
Small
Posted by grtbrt

sarcasm?  Not sure where you live ,but most schools in the US start after labor day, So it actually is 2-3 weeks before the first day of school. And there are other things happening in Indianapolis that have an effect on the dates .   
There are a number of school systems that have recently pushed back their start dates to late July/early August (including a few in Indiana )-perhaps a letter to them asking why they are interfering in your gaming calender ?
The hotel costs are going to be high no matter when GenCon is -They raise the prices for that time period ,As they do for any high demand time period. 

I think a much bigger issue is the lack of coordination of dates with the Indiana State fair and all its deep fried goodness: this year it was Deep fried Sugar Cream Pie , almost as good as the deep fried chocolate covered butter .

Normal
Small
Posted by traveller

Actually Gencon is now in a better position relative to school starts.  Historically it was the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August.  You said it yourself, it was after school started.  Hotel prices are higher during peak travel season so pretty much any time during traditional summer break you will get peak pricing.  The Gencon housing block addresses this by negotiating rates (and prices in the prime location, walking distance, are much lower then normal rates)

It also puts a gap in dates between Gencon and other large conventions giving everyone (attendees/vendors/guests) the ability to go.

We'll be sorry if you are unable to attend anymore but who know, perhaps you and your spouse can come to an agreement (plenty of SPA events for the whole family) 

*EDIT* You may also want to check with the NFL, preseason games can also get in the way of the con now that we take over LOS.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

It was probably done purely out of contempt/spite.

Normal
Small
Posted by nascragman

I think it's great.  We've got a number of judges who are college students, professors, or have children in college age.  We'd often lose 6 or 7 potential judges to a late GenCon.  Sorry it doesn't work for you, but your logic is the opposite of mine.

Normal
Small
Posted by roundtop

Gencon sits currently in the sweet spot between Origins and Pax Prime/West

Normal
Small
Posted by jbship628

I actually couldnt attend Gen Con 50 because of the mid August dates.

So many colleges were in their first week of class last year, or were starting the day after GC.

I teach high school, and my inservice days were during Gen Con because Iowa keeps schools from starting before August 23rd.

The dates they have set up from now until 2022 are all perfect for me.

It gives me 1 to 2 weeks to recover before my school year starts.

Normal
Small
Posted by roganca raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:

Gen Con has always hated Bigdill23. And now it looks like they've finally screwed him over for the last time. Why, Gen Con? Why?

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded nascragman

nascragman wrote:
I think it's great.  We've got a number of judges who are college students, professors, or have children in college age.  We'd often lose 6 or 7 potential judges to a late GenCon.  Sorry it doesn't work for you, but your logic is the opposite of mine.

My wife and I would agree with you on this.  As teachers, when GC has been in the later part of August, we can only come on Saturday.  When it's earlier, we have the whole set of days...

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:

I feel dumb replying to my own post here, but more seriously, some of it may have to do with when the spaces needed are available, especially now that LOS is part of the mix.  As pointless as pre-season football is, that's going to eat up available space Gen Con needs now.  Also, I doubt that it's as much of a factor, if it is at all, but the 'start of school' thing may have had an effect to some degree.  There have been some vendors (the riddle ribbon folks for one) who stopped coming because of school schedules and such.  So that may also have some weight (but it may not, also).  

Normal
Small
Posted by captain 10beers

The early dates work better for me because I work at a university and if GenCon happened to fall on move in weekend (typically the 3rd week of August) I would be denied the time off.  

Normal
Small
Posted by del_grande

I am under the impression that it cannot be a week later because of the Drum Corps International World Championships (always the second Saturday in August - any earlier and they don't have enough time to practice; any later and it runs up against their own school dates), and if it is the week after that, it forces the Indianapolis Colts to play their first two preseason games away and their last two at home.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

Since Gen Con has been in Indy (2003) it has bounced all over the place between the last week in July and the 3rd week of August.  It probably has to do with the crazy scheduling they have to do with the ICC, LOS, and the half-dozen hotels where events are held.

IMO, the earlier the better.  I can’t see how scheduling it after school starts in many places is a benefit to most people, especially if they want to bring their kids. The number of places where school starts after Labor Day seems to decrease every year.

Normal
Small
Posted by bluemax

And now that GC is using Lucas, I am sure that it has to be earlier to avoid the NFL schedule.

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Heck, I wish they would move it to mid - late July every year, but I am fine having it where it is and fine if it moves back to mid August, where it was for years.

Normal
Small
Posted by bakermouse10133

"Weekend before school starts"? I am local and my kids first day was the first day of Gen Con, and has been for the last 4 years. Which honestly works out really well for me, but I can totally understand how teachers in the area feel left out.

Sorry if the dates arn't working for you, but maybe you and your family can make it your last trip before school starts? There are lots of family activities in Indy.

Normal
Small
Posted by rong

Future show dates are also set years in advance. You can look up future show dates on their website with a simple "gen con future dates" search.

Created in 1968 in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Gen Con has taken place in Indianapolis since 2003, and is contracted to stay in Indianapolis through 2022.

Below are the upcoming, announced show dates.

Gen Con 2018: August 2 - 5, 2018

Gen Con 2019: August 1 - 4, 2019

Gen Con 2020: July 30 - August 2, 2020

Gen Con 2021: August 5-8, 2021

Gen Con 2022: August 4-7, 2022

These upcoming shows will take place in Indianapolis at the Indiana Convention Center (ICC), at Lucas Oil Stadium, and at numerous participating hotels.

Normal
Small
Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

This earlier date is actually the norm.  Last year's was unusually late.  I can see how, if 2017 was your first Gencon, you could get the idea that they were changing the dates, but really it's more like they were returning to normal.

Normal
Small
Posted by miked lord thrifty the cromulent

mstabosz wrote:
This earlier date is actually the norm.  Last year's was unusually late.  I can see how, if 2017 was your first Gencon, you could get the idea that they were changing the dates, but really it's more like they were returning to normal.
atcually if you google gencon and look at the Wikipedia article mid August (10th-15th) has been the norm until 5 years ago

Normal
Small
Posted by braewe

I imagine using the football stadium has something to do with the earlier dates. I remember more than one gencon had a football game in there on Sunday. The...cross between gamers and sports fans was at times quite humorous, but it made parking traffic and even hotels a little crazy.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post