Overzealous event staff
Normal
Small
Posted by stahlnee

Interrupted during a game for a badge check. Wearing the badge visibility was not adequate. Handing over for fondling was the verification used.

Fortunately the rest were done visually.

Normal
Small
Posted by dblade

I would have told him to move along and not showed him my badge. Do these staffers get training?

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb dblade

dblade wrote:
I would have told him to move along and not showed him my badge. Do these staffers get training?

I was really, really tempted to.  But a little voice in my head said "this douchebag will get me thrown out of the con entirely for questioning his authority".  And I had a couple more events I wanted to attend.

As for the question, I would expect they do get training, but I don't really know.  For that matter, does anyone at Gen Con actually read the forum and take note of threads like this?

Normal
Small
Posted by brotherbock dblade

dblade wrote:

If you're in a game, you have to show your badge. That's part of the rules of the con. Sitting in a hotel hallway is another matter.

@tdb, Roderick and Mike Boozer both seem to reply to things here with some regularity. I've never met Mike in person (that I know), but I'll vouch for Roderick in whatever context, fwiw.

Normal
Small
Posted by roderick tdb

tdb wrote:I was really, really tempted to.  But a little voice in my head said "this douchebag will get me thrown out of the con entirely for questioning his authority".  And I had a couple more events I wanted to attend.As for the question, I would expect they do get training, but I don't really know.  For that matter, does anyone at Gen Con actually read the forum and take note of threads like this?

I send notes about forum threads to whichever Gen Con Staffer it pertains to, and yes, I passed this one on to the person in charge of Ops/"Security". 

(Note - I am a contractor for the Forums, I am not on the GC Staff, just to remove any confusion)

And thank you, Brotherbock. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC. 

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Thanks Roderick!

Normal
Small
Posted by mikeboozer tdb

tdb wrote:
At about 5:45 pm Saturday, an event staffer came around doing badge checks in the second floor lobby of the Marriott. 
Everyone there actually was an attendee, and showed their badge, so all was well. And the staffer was fairly polite.  But...
What if a hotel guest who wasn't attending the con had been there? Would the staffer have tried to throw them out of the hotel lobby? How would that have gone?
A badge check performed in an event space is quite reasonable. But this was in the lobby.  That's a public space. Unless Gencon paid rent for the lobby by the escalator, they really have no say in who can or cannot be there. 

The space in question (second floor with event tables?) is actually space we have contracted for.

We check badges in all hotel spaces we have been contracted for. Rooms, or this space as an example.

We do not or should not be checking badges in other spaces like the main lobby or hallways.

Very hard to tell if the space you were eating lunch at was space set aside for us. It may be that they were a little over zealous if it was not. 

Thanks for the feedback. It has been noted and we will look into it!

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Normal
Small
Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
tdb wrote:
At about 5:45 pm Saturday, an event staffer came around doing badge checks in the second floor lobby of the Marriott. 
Everyone there actually was an attendee, and showed their badge, so all was well. And the staffer was fairly polite.  But...
What if a hotel guest who wasn't attending the con had been there? Would the staffer have tried to throw them out of the hotel lobby? How would that have gone?
A badge check performed in an event space is quite reasonable. But this was in the lobby.  That's a public space. Unless Gencon paid rent for the lobby by the escalator, they really have no say in who can or cannot be there. 

The space in question (second floor with event tables?) is actually space we have contracted for.We check badges in all hotel spaces we have been contracted for. Rooms, or this space as an example.
We do not or should not be checking badges in other spaces like the main lobby or hallways.
Very hard to tell if the space you were eating lunch at was space set aside for us. It may be that they were a little over zealous if it was not. 
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC
when you say hallways, do you mean hotel or convention center. What if people are eating lunch at one of the cc places, and playing a game, but don't have badges.

Normal
Small
Posted by matthias9

I stayed in the Marriott last year.  In an open gaming room, I was asked to produce a badge.  I was surprised by this as I have been coming to Gen Con for 34 consecutive years and have never been asked for a badge in a hotel open gaming room before.  Most of the people in my group would have had to return to our rooms to get our badges, but the man requesting them graciously allowed us to just make sure we had them next time.

I think it makes sense from Gen Con's perspective to ask for a badge in a room they have contracted for.  Though I guess I would question whether people showing up at the convention just to open game in surrounding hotels is really a thing that happens.

However, In my experience, open gaming spaces in hotels had been a convenience that the hotel was offering to guests, not an official contracted room booking by Gen Con.  I think this is where the confusion can creep in.  I'm not sure if they were marked to indicate which they were, though they may have been.  Usually, the hotel lottery puts me at the Sheraton, which offers open gaming rooms, but I'm pretty sure they aren't officially contracted rooms.

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
tdb wrote:

The space in question (second floor with event tables?) is actually space we have contracted for.We check badges in all hotel spaces we have been contracted for. Rooms, or this space as an example.
Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

The area in question was next to the escalators on the second floor of the Marriott (not the JW), so on the west end of the second floor lobby.  It was right next to the food line that was set up in the lobby there.  There was no signage indicating that this was open gaming or anything, it seemed to be hotel space set up for the convenience of those patronizing the food line (which was how we were using it).

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Also, I do appreciate you looking into it.  It seems like it might be an opportunity for training for next year, at the least.

Normal
Small
Posted by syntruth tdb

tdb wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
tdb wrote:

Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

The area in question was next to the escalators on the second floor of the Marriott (not the JW), so on the west end of the second floor lobby.  It was right next to the food line that was set up in the lobby there.  There was no signage indicating that this was open gaming or anything, it seemed to be hotel space set up for the convenience of those patronizing the food line (which was how we were using it).

That sounds like the area right outside the Denver room, actually.  Both games I ran this year were assigned to Denver. (Funnily enough, I live in the Denver area. :) )

During Fri and Sat mornings, I saw people at those tables, a few playing games and eating, but saw no signage on intended usage either way.

Normal
Small
Posted by tdb

Yes, that's the area.

Normal
Small
Posted by buffythecatslayer

I could definitely see the hotels having a problem with their non-Gen Con guests (as few as those might be) being hassled by Gen Con security in public areas of the hotel.

Normal
Small
Posted by quarex

arosenwald wrote:
austicke wrote:
Nothing new. Gen Con has been checking for badges in hotels for years.

Double-digit year Gen Con attendee here. Never had a badge checked in a hotel. <shrug>
I actually had a game basically ended by a badge check in 2012? when just after Midnight someone came checking badges in the J.W. Marriott conference room, and the guy running our session of a game had left his badge at home (he lived like 20 minutes away) when coming in to run the game; he left and did not return, but fortunately our session was part of six games of the same system in a shared universe going on so we just dispersed amongst the rest of the sessions and carried on.  But I can only imagine how delightful that would have been if we had not been able to just jump to another game... though yes, that was the only time I ever encountered a badge check until this year during a Pathfinder Second Edition game in the main Pathfinder room.  But then again, those are two of only three actual game events I have played since 2012, so I figured they were fairly common these days.

Does sound like the J.W. Marriott is the most likely location for a badge check from the obviously totally scientific analysis of this thread's anecdotes.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.