Event Review & Placement Contractor
Who we are
At Gen Con LLC, our mission is to create the world’s greatest place for tabletop gaming. At the core of what we do is producing the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, science fiction and adventure game convention in North America, held every year in Indianapolis, IN. Gen Con, “The Best Four Days in Gaming,” is 60,000+ attendees, 500+ exhibitors, and 19,000+ ticketed events, operating 24 hours per day, in over 1.2 million square feet of event space in the Indiana Convention Center, Lucas Oil Stadium, and many surrounding hotels. Just as new technologies and a larger, more diverse set of audiences are driving change in the games we play and how we play them, we dedicate ourselves to creating and adopting the best tools and practices possible to support and showcase tabletop gaming culture wherever gamers gather, be it in the physical space of a convention center or in the digital space of our social media communities and streaming channels.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a small team to review event submissions to make sure they are accurate and complete, then help to confirm suitable locations in time for general attendees to sign up for their favorite games before the convention. You will work on this project remotely and under contract for a few months.
What you’ll do
- Review 16,000+ convention event submissions for accuracy and completeness
- Resolve simple errors (grammar, spelling, etc.)
- Escalate serious problems, or return them to the user so they can correct and resubmit
- Confirm suitable locations for approved events
- Double check event details (particularly location) to ensure accuracy
- Work in proprietary event system and Excel spreadsheets to review event details
- Research game details as needed
What you bring to the table
Required Skills and Experience
- High degree of proficiency in Excel (comfort with pivot tables, filtering, sorting, multi-layered nested formulas and logic checks, etc.)
- Reliable computer with current version of Excel
- Experience and comfort with modern communication platforms, specifically Skype, Slack, Discord, Google Hangouts, etc.
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly for customer-facing communication
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Detailed, organized, prioritization, and problem-solving skills a must
- A strong self-motivator who can work with a small team to get the job done
- High School or equivalent degree required. College degree or equivalent a plus
- Knowledge of Gen Con (particularly attending the convention) in specific and hobby games in general a major plus
- Extensive knowledge of a wider range of tabletop games (specifically of titles, editions, descriptions, and requirements for play) – or the knowledge of how to quickly confirm those details
- This is a seasonal contract/W9 position
- Anticipated work window: Feb 4 – May 5
- Presumed 10-15 hours per week, though you will set your own schedule to meet required volume of event review
- Remote working expected – computer not provided
- Ideal to have the same person for this role year over year. Multi-year contract with option to opt out after yearly review.
Working with Gen Con
Gen Con's corporate office resides in the Leschi neighborhood of Seattle, WA.
Gen Con does not offer relocation assistance or sponsor visas at this time. All submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants only, please. No recruiters or agencies.