housing WORST Ever
( Locked)
18 19 20 22
18 19 20 22
Posted by lehane mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
lehane wrote:Near as I can tell Gencon itself only gets money from me directly for the 4 Day Badge and Event Tickets. I seriously doubt there is a restaurant or Hotel cut, which leaves Food Truck vendors or Exhibit hall vendors as secondary sources, but depend on getting sales from customers so why would you want to limit them given not everyone will hit up most of the various vendors.

You do know that the vendors pay thousands of dollars for a tiny postage stamp of the show floor, right?  And then pay for electricity, furniture rental, carpet, cleaning? Or, for instance, that they sold out of 3 Co-Sponsor levels of sponsorship - at $75,000 a pop?
https://files.gencon.com/2017.SponsorMarketingBook.pdf
None of this undermines the general point that it could be hard to see how limiting attendance is perhaps not a short term loss of revenue - but don't kid yourself - Gen Con's income from exhibitors is not inconsequential.

Sorry, I must have misworded that paragraph. I was trying to say I did not know about gencon getting money from other sources cause I never researched it.

Also my mention of depending on customer sales was in reference to the vendors not gencon. I can see no reason why the vendors would want to limit the number of customers.

Sorry about that...

Posted by lehane gharris

gharris wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
gharris wrote:
Do you want housing to get better next year? Then you need to reduce the population. This isn't rocket science. You do that by cutting back on events. Keeping just as many events or adding more just maintains the problem. If you are going to cut events at a gaming convention you don't start with cutting the actual gaming events. 
Housing doesn't need to get better next year.  Housing is fine.  There are still hotels available in block.  The issue is that you didn't get the hotel you wanted, which is a personal problem, not a GenCon problem.  It would be great if there were rooms downtown for everyone who wanted them, but there's not (and there hasn't been even when the con was *half* this size).  It's foolish to think GenCon would restrict events or the number of people attending just so you can have a better hotel room.

Swing and a miss. I am staying for free at a friend's house this year.As already pointed out, when people are talking about housing they aren't talking about how great it is to stay by the airport. Attendees have made it very clear that they want a hotel that they can quickly walk back to during the show. Nobody cares that there are overpriced rooms available 7-10 miles away.
Gen Con should curb its numbers so a higher percentage of its attendees can have a better hotel room. This isn't just a "me, me, me" situation, it impacts all of us. 

For the record, are you willing to be one of the attendance that gets "curbed"? Cause if you aren't and your are wanting others "curbed" so your personal situation gets improved then it is a "me, me, me" situation.

This conversation was much more productive when we were kicking around ideas of how gencon could expand to accommodate the increasing attendance, not trying to discuss which events need to be culled to force an attendance slowdown.

Increasing attendance is a good problem to have. It means you are doing things right.

Posted by squirecam

You cannot add 60k people to this formula as only about 1/2 would be using the service.

Of course you can. Your badge price includes cost for things you never use.

You might never attend the True Dungeon, but Gencon needs to have space for it. Thats included in your badge.

You might never visit the exhibit hall. But you pay for them renting the space just the same.

You might never need to utilize the will call area as you bought all your items and had your tickets shipped to you. Yet you pay for that space too.

You might never game as a spouse, but your badge price is the same as a gamer.

Spreading the fee to all attendees is how it works. Otherwise, If you only did True Dungeon, then why not have a system where you only pay for those services you use. 

Moreover, as you dont know if you will get a downtown room, placing a fee on everyone is fair. Some years you might need it. Some years not.

That being said, I had no problem with the $50 unlimited shuttle cost. It was the service that was awful.

Posted by gharris lehane

lehane wrote:
gharris wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
gharris wrote:
Do you want housing to get better next year? Then you need to reduce the population. This isn't rocket science. You do that by cutting back on events. Keeping just as many events or adding more just maintains the problem. If you are going to cut events at a gaming convention you don't start with cutting the actual gaming events. 
Housing doesn't need to get better next year.  Housing is fine.  There are still hotels available in block.  The issue is that you didn't get the hotel you wanted, which is a personal problem, not a GenCon problem.  It would be great if there were rooms downtown for everyone who wanted them, but there's not (and there hasn't been even when the con was *half* this size).  It's foolish to think GenCon would restrict events or the number of people attending just so you can have a better hotel room.

Swing and a miss. I am staying for free at a friend's house this year.As already pointed out, when people are talking about housing they aren't talking about how great it is to stay by the airport. Attendees have made it very clear that they want a hotel that they can quickly walk back to during the show. Nobody cares that there are overpriced rooms available 7-10 miles away.
Gen Con should curb its numbers so a higher percentage of its attendees can have a better hotel room. This isn't just a "me, me, me" situation, it impacts all of us. 

For the record, are you willing to be one of the attendance that gets "curbed"? Cause if you aren't and your are wanting others "curbed" so your personal situation gets improved then it is a "me, me, me" situation.This conversation was much more productive when we were kicking around ideas of how gencon could expand to accommodate the increasing attendance, not trying to discuss which events need to be culled to force an attendance slowdown.
Increasing attendance is a good problem to have. It means you are doing things right.

You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't staying in a hotel this year, despite quoting me saying I wasn't staying in a hotel.

Also, we aren't talking about growth any more. We are hitting capacity. That's it. That is literally what a cap on badge sales is. People are going to get left out in increasing numbers due to continued rise in demand. 

Increasing attendance is a good problem to have, and it does mean you are doing things right so long as you are keeping your target audience happy. If you do not have the infrastructure to do this it is a bad thing.

Posted by gharris stiehle

stiehle wrote:

Once again, you fail to acknowledge reasonable arguments, proving you are not willing to listen.  It's YOUR opinion that some percentage of the population don't care about the main theme of the event as YOU have interpreted it to be.  No amount of reasonable arguments (and believe me, there are plenty to be found in this thread alone) are going to sway you, because your opinion of your own interpretation is ironclad.  Bravo for sticking to your guns, I suppose.  Nobody is going to change your opinion, and it's doubtful you're going to change that of others.Discussion is only interesting when others are willing and able to appreciate the differing points of view and offer thoughtful insights as to alternative ways of thinking - not when it's simply tearing apart another viewpoint as you substitute opinion for fact.  I believe that moment passed by about 15 pages ago...
 Gen Con determined the theme of Gen Con, not me. Gen Con is first and foremost a gaming convention, it defines itself as "The Best Four Days in Gaming". I am sorry that this seems to be so hard to understand. "Gen Con is a gaming convention" is not my opinion, it is fact. You simply cannot convince me otherwise because I have 50 years of history proving me right. That is the main theme. If you aren't at Gen Con for gaming you aren't there for the main theme. This may not be convenient for everyone in this thread but it is not my opinion, it is the truth.

I am sorry if this concerns you (or anyone else), but not believing that Gen Con is primarily a gaming convention is just a fundamental problem in your reasoning that will prevent us from having a productive discussion. 

Posted by gharris jm.spellslinger

jm.spellslinger wrote:

https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/louisville/all-the-people-who-go-to-the-kentucky-derbyhmmmmm.......a direct quote from this article states
"Little of the infield experience is actually about the horse race; rather, it's the people-watching. This is where you will find homemade hats of epic proportions, authentic Kentucky rednecks, and a damn fine group of over 60,000 people all crowded together to toast the greatest two minutes in sports (even if they never see a single horse)."
or maybe this quote
"Do a large number of them know anything about horse racing? Probably not. Will they be ordering a hot dog from one of the hundreds of vendors or a batch-made mint julep? HA! Yeah, right.
The Millionaires Row attendees are usually seen lounging on a covered terrace, casually watching the races while dining on gourmet fare and sipping on one of those famous $1,000 (!!) mint juleps. "
To be honest, the whole article is spattered with lines about how many of the Derby attendees don't care much about the actual races. I think the article makes another point that is valid here, too. 
"the Derby is all about tradition."
And so is gen con. Geeky cosplay traditions. Zombie walk traditions. Hawaiian shirt traditions. Giant geeky balloon sculpture traditions. our cardhalla tradition. The con is fun because we have made it our own. The very culture you want to strip away is what makes Gen Con a fun place to be. 

Sure, I will take your word on the Kentucky Derby because even if I was wrong it doesn't matter, it was still a bad example.

Do we really want to compare ourselves to this? Do we really want this to happen? Only a limited amount of rich people can afford to attend, who often don't even care about the main event, while people who DO care about the main event can't go? Think carefully about that answer, as it is also how big comic book conventions keep losing their comic book souls when they decide they are just going to be generic pop culture, entertainment and cosplay shows. 

You may try to use a "tradition" excuse- but Gen Con was already fun before these "traditions". Gen Con's biggest "tradition" is GAMING, and gamers will still show up in droves based on that alone. We have decades of Gen Con history to prove that.

Posted by gharris lehane

lehane wrote:
Sorry, I must have misworded that paragraph. I was trying to say I did not know about gencon getting money from other sources cause I never researched it.Also my mention of depending on customer sales was in reference to the vendors not gencon. I can see no reason why the vendors would want to limit the number of customers.
Sorry about that...

There is actually an excellent reason why vendors would be interested in numbers of people attending.

First off, attendance will be limited. The potential customer base will be limited no matter what due to the cap in badge sales.

Secondly, being a vendor at Gen Con is very expensive. I speak from experience. Besides all of the costs already mentioned by mhayward you also have transportation for staff and goods, additional labor before, during, and after the show, meals, displays, prize support and giveaways, hotel costs and so on. For many vendors Gen Con is barely worth it financially, even if they make a "killing".

So say, for the sake of argument, you will have a limit of 60,000 attendees per day. That is all the badges there are, that is the biggest the pool of customers can get. 

Say you are a gaming company that is selling gaming goodies. Say you have a very narrow margin between breaking even at Gen Con and losing money at Gen Con. You now have a big interest in the demographics of those 60,000 people.

If, again just for the sake of argument, 20% of those people aren't gamers. Your potential customer base is only 80% of the total attendees. maybe you can afford to come back to Gen Con next year.

If you bump that up to 30% for people who are nongamers you are now only looking at 70% of attendees as potential customers. Gen Con next year is starting to look questionable.

If that number gets up to 40%....you are staying home next year.

If you ever wonder why many gaming companies aren't looking at attending Gen Con has being mandatory any more- this is a big chunk of the reason.

Posted by jm.spellslinger gharris

Maybe you should consider attending a different convention. I recently went to Dex Con. It was all gaming and gaming related events, you should try more conventions like that. There was plenty of hotel space. That would be right up your alley. If that's the case we will have room for one more next year! 

Posted by austicke jm.spellslinger

jm.spellslinger wrote:Maybe you should consider attending a different convention. I recently went to Dex Con. It was all gaming and gaming related events, you should try more conventions like that. There was plenty of hotel space. That would be right up your alley. If that's the case we will have room for one more next year! 

The DEXCON main hotel sold out and the event included non-gaming candy and chocolate events. He'd hate it!

Posted by braewe

Just a point of interest regarding the 'fluff' and gen con attendance. Maybe something to make you go hmmm. 

Attendance the 5 years prior to the addition of the SPA program:
2001     25,000
2002     23,000
2003     25,000
2004     21,741
2005     25,106
SPA Program introduced 2006 21,250

and then holy moly as more 'fluff' events were added and the word spread that just because your main friend/spouse/parent/child was hardcore into gaming didn't mean that you couldn't go and have a great time too:

2007     27,000
2008     28,600
2009     27,900
2010     30,046
2011     36,733
2012     41,000

And of course we all know the numbers just keep skyrocketing up. Yes, they did level off from 2015 to 2016 but badge prices went up a LOT for those who purchased after the deadline.

I can't attribute ALL the rise in attendance to the 'fluff' stuff but I would be willing to bet it accounts for a pretty decent number. Not that I have a direct say, but...my vote is we keep the fluff. And just expand the convention center so badges are not capped. Still plenty of hotels in Indy. I would way rather stay farther out than not go at all.

Posted by jm.spellslinger austicke

austicke wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:Maybe you should consider attending a different convention. I recently went to Dex Con. It was all gaming and gaming related events, you should try more conventions like that. There was plenty of hotel space. That would be right up your alley. If that's the case we will have room for one more next year! 

The DEXCON main hotel sold out and the event included non-gaming candy and chocolate events. He'd hate it!____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group

good grief lololol

Posted by njseahawksfan squirecam

squirecam wrote:
k_dog64 wrote:
gharris wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gharris wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:
squirecam wrote:
austicke wrote:
Last year, Gen Con increased badge prices significantly. It was the largest percentage increase ever since coming to Indy, and they said one of the purposes was to control growth.
I can only speculate that perhaps it worked better than intended because this year there was no badge price increase at all for the first time in many years.
Based on what's happening this year, I assume we're in for another significant bump next year.

This sounds cool

And prohibitively expensive. It would be nice if it could work, but think of how many vehicles would have to be bought, the insurance, the labor, the gas and maintenance both during the con and the rest of the year, storage for the other 51 weeks.....
You dont create a shuttle program for 52 weeks. You hire multiple companies to make it work for 1 week, if one company isnt enough.60,000 x 10.00 = 600k. Are you saying Gencon couldn't find enough vehicles and drivers for $550,000 (Gencon keeps 50k as "profit)?
Would a company pass up half a million dollars for a half week of work?

If you could theoretically find a company with enough available vehicles to avoid this becoming another cluster**** like it was the last time we had a shuttle system, sure. Keep in mind that demand has increased since that time so you need to hire a lot of vehicles running continuously for 4-5 days. If it were that easy wouldn't we already have a shuttle system?
Just a note with regards to this.  I went to E3 this year.  Their shuttle system was a series of charter busses I believe.  They had 8 or so different routes that went to the various hotels within their housing block.  I believe they ran departed the convention center every 10-15 minutes during "peak travel" times and every 30 minutes during the "non-peak" travel times.  I know it is a different type of convention (having set hours vs a 24 hour Gen Con), but it just shows there are some possibilities.  (The shuttles were also free for attendees as long as you were actually staying at one of the hotels.  They gave you a wristband at the hotel when you checked in.) 
Yep. SDCC has more people. Yet they make their shuttle system work.It takes effort and the desire, but it could be done.
SDCC does NOT have more attendees.  I have no idea why this keeps getting repeated because it is not true.  SDCC gets 167000 through the turnstiles.  GenCon had over 200000 last year.

Posted by stiehle gharris

gharris wrote:
stiehle wrote:

Once again, you fail to acknowledge reasonable arguments, proving you are not willing to listen.  It's YOUR opinion that some percentage of the population don't care about the main theme of the event as YOU have interpreted it to be.  No amount of reasonable arguments (and believe me, there are plenty to be found in this thread alone) are going to sway you, because your opinion of your own interpretation is ironclad.  Bravo for sticking to your guns, I suppose.  Nobody is going to change your opinion, and it's doubtful you're going to change that of others.Discussion is only interesting when others are willing and able to appreciate the differing points of view and offer thoughtful insights as to alternative ways of thinking - not when it's simply tearing apart another viewpoint as you substitute opinion for fact.  I believe that moment passed by about 15 pages ago...
 Gen Con determined the theme of Gen Con, not me. Gen Con is first and foremost a gaming convention, it defines itself as "The Best Four Days in Gaming". I am sorry that this seems to be so hard to understand. "Gen Con is a gaming convention" is not my opinion, it is fact. You simply cannot convince me otherwise because I have 50 years of history proving me right. That is the main theme. If you aren't at Gen Con for gaming you aren't there for the main theme. This may not be convenient for everyone in this thread but it is not my opinion, it is the truth.I am sorry if this concerns you (or anyone else), but not believing that Gen Con is primarily a gaming convention is just a fundamental problem in your reasoning that will prevent us from having a productive discussion. 

You seem to be a very angry gamer...  Don't be sorry at all, I'm quite sanguine about my position on what GenCon is and isn't.  It's your opinion of what constitutes 'gaming' that we disagree on, and I'm quite convinced that there is no flaw in my own reasoning.  Our opinions are definitely different, that I will certainly agree with, though.  Good luck to you in finding your perfect gaming convention.  Perhaps one day you'll find it.  But I don't think it'll be GenCon.

Posted by squirecam njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
squirecam wrote:
k_dog64 wrote:
gharris wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gharris wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:
squirecam wrote:
austicke wrote:
Last year, Gen Con increased badge prices significantly. It was the largest percentage increase ever since coming to Indy, and they said one of the purposes was to control growth.
I can only speculate that perhaps it worked better than intended because this year there was no badge price increase at all for the first time in many years.
Based on what's happening this year, I assume we're in for another significant bump next year.

This sounds cool

And prohibitively expensive. It would be nice if it could work, but think of how many vehicles would have to be bought, the insurance, the labor, the gas and maintenance both during the con and the rest of the year, storage for the other 51 weeks.....
You dont create a shuttle program for 52 weeks. You hire multiple companies to make it work for 1 week, if one company isnt enough.60,000 x 10.00 = 600k. Are you saying Gencon couldn't find enough vehicles and drivers for $550,000 (Gencon keeps 50k as "profit)?

If you could theoretically find a company with enough available vehicles to avoid this becoming another cluster**** like it was the last time we had a shuttle system, sure. Keep in mind that demand has increased since that time so you need to hire a lot of vehicles running continuously for 4-5 days. If it were that easy wouldn't we already have a shuttle system?
Just a note with regards to this.  I went to E3 this year.  Their shuttle system was a series of charter busses I believe.  They had 8 or so different routes that went to the various hotels within their housing block.  I believe they ran departed the convention center every 10-15 minutes during "peak travel" times and every 30 minutes during the "non-peak" travel times.  I know it is a different type of convention (having set hours vs a 24 hour Gen Con), but it just shows there are some possibilities.  (The shuttles were also free for attendees as long as you were actually staying at one of the hotels.  They gave you a wristband at the hotel when you checked in.) 
Yep. SDCC has more people. Yet they make their shuttle system work.It takes effort and the desire, but it could be done.
SDCC does NOT have more attendees.  I have no idea why this keeps getting repeated because it is not true.  SDCC gets 167000 through the turnstiles.  GenCon had over 200000 last year.
it's unique vs turnstile. Gencon has 60000 unique attendees. SDCChad 167000.

Posted by squirecam squirecam

squirecam wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
squirecam wrote:
k_dog64 wrote:
gharris wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gharris wrote:
jm.spellslinger wrote:
squirecam wrote:
austicke wrote:

This sounds cool

it's unique vs turnstile. Gencon has 60000 unique attendees. SDCC had 167000. If SDCC counted turnstile it would easily surpass Gencon.

Posted by nialith

Holy message nesting, Batman. You guys know you can trim out the previous 37 messages before you post, right? :-) 

Anyway...heading out to SDCC next week so I'm interested to see how their hotel shuttle system works as I'm staying out in Mission Valley. The shuttle chart shows me getting to the convention center in 30 minutes which seams reasonable for where I'm at. 

Posted by squirecam nialith

nialith wrote:
Holy message nesting, Batman. You guys know you can trim out the previous 37 messages before you post, right? :-) 
Anyway...heading out to SDCC next week so I'm interested to see how their hotel shuttle system works as I'm staying out in Mission Valley. The shuttle chart shows me getting to the convention center in 30 minutes which seams reasonable for where I'm at. 
free shuttles every 15 minutes during peak hours and it runs 24 hrs during SDCC.

how wonderful ! 

Posted by quarex

All the threads that get closed, and this one is still going?

It really is pretty interesting to watch the "gaming convention means only gaming" argument, also taking place occasionally on the Facebook discussions.  I feel like I am the anti-Gharris, since my catchphrase is literally "Gen-Con is too short for gaming."  There are too many other amazing things going on there that do not exist anywhere else in the world for people to spend all their time playing games; go to Origins if you want a convention where basically all that is going on is gaming. :)

Posted by lehane gharris

gharris wrote:
lehane wrote:
gharris wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
gharris wrote:

For the record, are you willing to be one of the attendance that gets "curbed"? Cause if you aren't and your are wanting others "curbed" so your personal situation gets improved then it is a "me, me, me" situation.This conversation was much more productive when we were kicking around ideas of how gencon could expand to accommodate the increasing attendance, not trying to discuss which events need to be culled to force an attendance slowdown.

You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't staying in a hotel this year, despite quoting me saying I wasn't staying in a hotel.Also, we aren't talking about growth any more. We are hitting capacity. That's it. That is literally what a cap on badge sales is. People are going to get left out in increasing numbers due to continued rise in demand. 
Increasing attendance is a good problem to have, and it does mean you are doing things right so long as you are keeping your target audience happy. If you do not have the infrastructure to do this it is a bad thing.
I was referring to the more general stuff you have been throwing around about eliminating types of events and such as a means of discouraging attendance rather than your own personal housing plans.

Gencon should not go backwards in their thinking. To do so only invites another con to take up what Gencon has been doing and could replace gencon as the premier gaming con years down the road. If you think it can't happen look at D&D and Pathfinder. It has been years since I have given anything with the D&D logo the time of day when browsing the game store. (Unless we are talking old stuff) Could you have imagined such a thing ten years ago?

Posted by marimaccadmin

You know what, we're a month out, and no one has time for an off topic rambling thread with some personal attacks.

Gen Con is the best 4 days in gaming, and it will continue to have nongaming events as well.

Demand for attached hotel rooms will continue to exceed supply.

This thread is played out.

Marian McBrine
Event Coordintor
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
18 19 20 22
18 19 20 22