Health and Safety Info 2023
( Locked)
3 4 5 7 9
3 4 5 7 9
Posted by darksandpiper mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:Q&A information:
What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Wearing a mask at the convention is optional, so the EO cannot require that you wear a mask at their event. With this in mind, we request that you and the EO are polite to one another while you resolve the matter. However, if the EO persists, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation. Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.  

What if an EO asks that no one wears masks at the table?
While an EO has the right to not wear a mask during their events, you have the right to wear a mask at any event you attend. If an EO persists in asking you to remove your mask, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation.

I find the difference in the two responses telling.  One says "move along you aren't wanted here" while the second does not. 

The corporate speak seems to be allowing a "soft" mask mandate enforced by EO's while allowing GenCon corporate to push off all responsibility on EO's.  

Posted by grognard262

GM, looking at player:  "I'd like to kindly request that you wear a mask for this event."
Player, looking at GM:  "No, thank you."

An awkward four hour game ensues.

Yikes.

Posted by mikeboozer grognard262

grognard262 wrote:
GM, looking at player:  "I'd like to kindly request that you wear a mask for this event."
Player, looking at GM:  "No, thank you."
An awkward four hour game ensues.
Yikes.

Our hope is that this will allow GMs and players to find games that suit their comfort level at the convention and to make expectations clear before arriving at the gaming table.

You have it within in your power to avoid this situation in it's entirety. Will there be a few exceptions at some events who forgot to list their request? Of course, but we believe they will be far and few between.

Mike

Posted by lehane mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:
What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Wearing a mask at the convention is optional, so the EO cannot require that you wear a mask at their event. With this in mind, we request that you and the EO are polite to one another while you resolve the matter. However, if the EO persists, you should contact the nearest Event HQ to have them resolve the situation. Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.  
If it is not in the Event description can the EO request that we wear masks at the time of the Event? 
Yes, the EO can politely request that you wear a mask during their event. This is meant to ensure both GMs and players can find events that fit their comfort level. Please be respectful of the other attendees and the EO if you choose to decline the request to wear a mask. 

For the record I do not like EO's being able to not put a request for masks in their descriptions then springing a request on people at the con itself. It defeats the entire purpose of people avoiding events with the request it the first place (see the suggestion I added an underline to in the quoted area). It will be extremely aggravating to put in effort to avoid such events at Gencon just to turn around and have EO's pulling it on you regardless. 

And this is an issue that generates enough anger without such bait and switch stuff happening. 

Posted by mikeboozer lehane

lehane wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Q&A information:
If it is not in the Event description can the EO request that we wear masks at the time of the Event? 
Yes, the EO can politely request that you wear a mask during their event. This is meant to ensure both GMs and players can find events that fit their comfort level. Please be respectful of the other attendees and the EO if you choose to decline the request to wear a mask. 

For the record I do not like EO's being able to not put a request for masks in their descriptions then springing a request on people at the con itself. It defeats the entire purpose of people avoiding events with the request it the first place (see the suggestion I added an underline to in the quoted area). It will be extremely aggravating to put in effort to avoid such events at Gencon just to turn around and have EO's pulling it on you regardless. And this is an issue that generates enough anger without such bait and switch stuff happening. 

Please read my original post again This is a message going out to EO's and GM's so this statement serves no purpose:

Alternatively, in order to ensure that GM and players are comfortable, it is probably best to find another event without this request.  

Agree with the sentiment though.

Mike

Posted by tjpreissig mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Mike,

Will a refund for the event be issued if you decide to not participate? 

Posted by trask

Why are you even allowing any ambiguity?  Either enforce a blanket "mask required mandate" or a blanket "no mask required." I am not keen to have to sort it out at each round based on the EO's preference.   Keep it simple.

Posted by mikeboozer tjpreissig

tjpreissig wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:What happens if I go to an event, and they ask me to wear a mask and I refuse to do so? 
Mike,Will a refund for the event be issued if you decide to not participate? 

Yes, get the Event HQ Captain to sign off on your ticket and take it to Customer Service for a refund.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer trask

trask wrote:
Why are you even allowing any ambiguity?  Either enforce a blanket "mask required mandate" or a blanket "no mask required." I am not keen to have to sort it out at each round based on the EO's preference.   Keep it simple.

This will allow GMs and players to find games that suit their comfort level at the convention and to make expectations clear before arriving at the gaming table.

Is it a little bit of a harder road for both us and some of you? Sure.

Is it in reality going to be a big deal. We don't think so (We have some experience here) :)

Mike

Posted by gib_rebeg

Mike, I know this will be the policy going forward. All gripping aside. Sadly.

One thing I would suggest is that Gencon puts what you posted on policy and Q&A into the printed handbook given out at the convention. Preferably the first or second page so all will have a copy in their hand and no one can complain 'I didn't know this'.

Doing so should help cut down on disputes as it will be in the hand of every attendee.

Beyond that, Thanks Mike for your efforts and good luck with the gripping......

Posted by grognard262

Curious how this will work with large EOs.  For example, if Baldman Games does not request masks, will individual DMs be allowed to request them once we are seated at a table?  Players don't always know who their individual DM will be until they arrive at the event.

Posted by gib_rebeg grognard262

grognard262 wrote:
Curious how this will work with large EOs.  For example, if Baldman Games does not request masks, will individual DMs be allowed to request them once we are seated at a table?  Players don't always know who their individual DM will be until they arrive at the event.
You would think that a large group like Baldman would have already discussed this with their GM's on what they will expect.

Posted by squirecam mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
trask wrote:

This will allow GMs and players to find games that suit their comfort level at the convention and to make expectations clear before arriving at the gaming table.Is it a little bit of a harder road for both us and some of you? Sure.
Is it in reality going to be a big deal. We don't think so (We have some experience here) :)
Mike
is this policy going to apply to the dealer hall? If you come up for a demo, can the booth request a mask either to play the demo or visit the booth?

Posted by mikeboozer squirecam

squirecam wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
trask wrote:

This will allow GMs and players to find games that suit their comfort level at the convention and to make expectations clear before arriving at the gaming table.Is it a little bit of a harder road for both us and some of you? Sure.
Mike
is this policy going to apply to the dealer hall? If you come up for a demo, can the booth request a mask either to play the demo or visit the booth?

This is the policy for EO's or GM's not for the Exhibit hall.

Mike

Posted by pholtus

Why is the Mask option being added to the Text field and not as a selection in the form? 

Here is the user story for your wed site dev team
As a Gen Con attendee I want the mask option as a field that I can filter on when searching for games to sign up for. 

Posted by tjpreissig pholtus

pholtus wrote:
Why is the Mask option being added to the Text field and not as a selection in the form? 
As a Gen Con attendee I want the mask option as a field that I can filter on when searching for games to sign up for. 

100% agree I would like to filter that out as well

Posted by knuteski

It may be too late for this year but I agree with the previous 2 comments.  

Perhaps a simple yes/no field with something like "Masked Event".

Note that if possible, I would not expect Gen Con staff to filter through every single description and then redo the already submitted events but simply to do put a default "No" in each of the already submitted events and then send out a generic email to all the EOs that if they prefer their attendees to wear masks to submit the event changes.

As an aside, I'd like to tackle the question about "EOs requesting masks for Mike" using simple language even though, yes, I know Mike answered it already.

If the EO asks you to wear a mask, wear the F-ing mask please.  If you have such a strong stance against masks, don't wait for the start of the event to show up and "hope" the EO doesn't want you to wear a mask.  Either contact the EO ahead of time (if email or website is listed) or perhaps show up 10 minutes early to check.  Yes, I agree, the EO should make it known to the attendees but mistakes happen and someone could have told Gen Con but with over 10,000 events to deal with, even a miniscule .1% error rate means there would still be >10 with errors. 

I avoid wearing masks whenever I can but that doesn't mean I'm going to be disrepectful to someone running a game who wants it.  They are volunteering FOR YOU so do something for them and wear the mask or don't participate in their event.

Posted by toxic_rat knuteski

knuteski wrote:
It may be too late for this year but I agree with the previous 2 comments.  
Perhaps a simple yes/no field with something like "Masked Event".
Note that if possible, I would not expect Gen Con staff to filter through every single description and then redo the already submitted events but simply to do put a default "No" in each of the already submitted events and then send out a generic email to all the EOs that if they prefer their attendees to wear masks to submit the event changes.
As an aside, I'd like to tackle the question about "EOs requesting masks for Mike" using simple language even though, yes, I know Mike answered it already.
If the EO asks you to wear a mask, wear the F-ing mask please.  If you have such a strong stance against masks, don't wait for the start of the event to show up and "hope" the EO doesn't want you to wear a mask.  Either contact the EO ahead of time (if email or website is listed) or perhaps show up 10 minutes early to check.  Yes, I agree, the EO should make it known to the attendees but mistakes happen and someone could have told Gen Con but with over 10,000 events to deal with, even a miniscule .1% error rate means there would still be >10 with errors. 
I avoid wearing masks whenever I can but that doesn't mean I'm going to be disrespectful to someone running a game who wants it.  They are volunteering FOR YOU so do something for them and wear the mask or don't participate in their event.
And it has to go both ways for the GM.  If you are willing to GM an event, you can respectfully ask for attendees to mask up.  But the GM should also be prepared mentally for a respectful "No, thank you." from those attendees.  GM's must be prepared for all of their participants to be un-masked, and still be prepared to run the event.

As soon as one party raises their voice to argue, that's when you get Event Staff involved.  

Posted by mikeboozer pholtus

pholtus wrote:

Event Registration opened January 8th so that is not possible for this year.

Mike

Posted by pholtus mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
pholtus wrote:

Event Registration opened January 8th so that is not possible for this year.Mike
I work in software development as a Product Owner, it IS possible. If you do not consider that a priority Item do to other work that is a different thing   

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
3 4 5 7 9
3 4 5 7 9