Restaurant with Gen Con atmosphere
Posted by ja1214

I haven't been to Gen Con since 2019 and I'm looking for a restaurant which provides a Gen Con style menu / atmosphere for dining. I know Scotty's and the RAM both closed; anyone know of anything else? I found speculation from last year that Goodwood might do so. Anyone know if it did?

Thanks!

Posted by cptmusket

Goodwood had a themed menu (same stuff as normal menu only with a fantasy name), and some of the servers were wearing costumes.

Posted by ja1214

I'm a simple man with simple pleasures. That's enough for me. Thanks!

Posted by eldrad12000

Goodwood is about as close as you can get these years. Ram closed as did Scottys. And those seemed to be the ones to actually make good attempts. It's a shame they closed, those places were always a highlight for my group to go eat at.

Posted by aldctjoc

I think there's an opportunity for Gen Con and the restaurants in the area to rebuild that sort of atmosphere. Last year, and the single Saturday I went the year before (still deep in COVID at that point) everything seemed to be pulled back/drawn down a bit from the years prior.

There just wasn't that much I saw outside the ICC. Just little things like the Westin's own Genevieve stuffed animal (or was it a balloon?) and a few "Welcome!" signs. And the Westin staff seemed to me to have almost completely turned over; there was literally only one pre-COVID employee I found there who remembered Gen Con from years before. And I think he said he just *started* the year before COVID. 

I don't mean this as a downer; rather, there was an understandable downturn from the COVID years, some of them not due to COVID itself but all coming at the same time. And I don't mean to suggest that we're done with COVID because it's still around. **BUT** there's ample room for positive growth and embrace of nearby businesses, and for those restaurants and stores and the like to get into the spirit themselves and get back to celebrating right along side us while they do business. 

If just a couple of places pick up the mantle once held by The Ram and Scotty's, then that would go a long way towards getting things back to a high note. And if the hotels could maybe just get a quick briefing by somebody right before things start on what Gen Con is all about, then maybe they can develop their own initiatives. Even if it's something as simple as a designated staff cosplay day, and then things can grow from there. 

I know it doesn't feel like it did before. But that just means there's opportunity there for things nearby to start again. Another set of environments like The Ram, and so on. I hope that happens.

Posted by mvotruba

Good thread.  Thanks for bringing it up.

Our group used to make our way to both The Ram and Scotty's.  For the locals, have those locations been taken by other establishments?  I hope they're not vacant...even if they aren't Gen Con themed. 

I don't mind the food trucks, but it would be nice to have a place to land after a full day.  I guess there are still other restaurants in the area as well as those tied to the local hotels.  We'll just need to rediscover the area.  

Posted by aldctjoc

Not a local, but I was just up there at the start of May.

Goodwood Brewing is in The Ram's old location. I have no idea what's in Scotty's, and I even drove by. I should've looked. If anyone else knows, feel free to say. 

Posted by mvotruba

Thanks aldctjoc; thanks for posting.  I'll be glad to check out Goodwood.  If you've been in, do you know if that back room with all those extra tables may still be around?  Our group loved hanging out there Tuesday and Wednesday before Gen Con.  I'm just wondering if it's been remodeled.

No worries about Scotty's.  I'm just trying to get a bit of a game plan prior arriving. It'll be my first time back in the city since Covid; I guess I'll need to regain my bearings.  

Posted by hahnarama mvotruba

mvotruba wrote:
Good thread.  Thanks for bringing it up.
Our group used to make our way to both The Ram and Scotty's.  For the locals, have those locations been taken by other establishments?  I hope they're not vacant...even if they aren't Gen Con themed. 
I don't mind the food trucks, but it would be nice to have a place to land after a full day.  I guess there are still other restaurants in the area as well as those tied to the local hotels.  We'll just need to rediscover the area.  

Goodwood is where the Ram was. I will be honest service and quality has TANKED in the last 6 months.

Scotty's still sitting empty. 

Posted by raptorov

Went to Goodwood Tuesday last year and Sunday. To be honest, they had AC issues so limited seating. Tuesday was fine. Sunday I sat at the bar, food was good, but Pro Womens Cornhole was on the TVs.
So it was fine, but not the GenCon gamer experience we got used to.
Bee Coffee is gone too, so no themed menus, costumed staff or free dice punch cards. The new spot wants to be a wine bar too, so, fine, but nothing special for the gamers. 

Posted by quarex

I was definitely disappointed by the Bee Coffee replacement's lack of nerdy theming though I did like the coffee at least.  And in theory it would be nice to grab a snack there as it is literally the closest place to the convention center I think, but last year I feel like their oven was broken or something. 

Posted by mvotruba

Thanks guys for posting.  I appreciate the heads-up.  Bummer about both Scotty's and The Ram.  Bee Coffee sounds likes a good stop prior to events/dealer hall.  We'll play it by ear until we discover new favorites.

Sorry to hear about Goodwood.  I can enjoy a good craft beer.  I'll hope they pick things ups for Gen Con, but I'll be sure to temper my expectations if/when I check it out in person.

If anything else comes to mind, please post.  I'll be sure to check back.

Posted by colbrook mvotruba

mvotruba wrote:
Thanks guys for posting.  I appreciate the heads-up.  Bummer about both Scotty's and The Ram.  Bee Coffee sounds likes a good stop prior to events/dealer hall.  We'll play it by ear until we discover new favorites.
Sorry to hear about Goodwood.  I can enjoy a good craft beer.  I'll hope they pick things ups for Gen Con, but I'll be sure to temper my expectations if/when I check it out in person.
If anything else comes to mind, please post.  I'll be sure to check back.
Bee coffee closed and got replaced by Pulse Coffee shortly before last year's Con. I don't think they did anything special for us but they were also brand new at the time. 

Posted by ungmar9567 mvotruba

mvotruba wrote:
Thanks aldctjoc; thanks for posting.  I'll be glad to check out Goodwood.  If you've been in, do you know if that back room with all those extra tables may still be around?  Our group loved hanging out there Tuesday and Wednesday before Gen Con.  I'm just wondering if it's been remodeled.
No worries about Scotty's.  I'm just trying to get a bit of a game plan prior arriving. It'll be my first time back in the city since Covid; I guess I'll need to regain my bearings.  

Hello! As you have gathered, no place has quite replaced Scotty's or The RAM in terms of going all-out for Gen Con. Goodwood did have a themed menu, but no fantasy/sci-fi movies on the TVs and no Gen Con-related merch. 
In their defense, they've only seen two Gen Cons and neither of those were what I would call typical of the pre-COVID years. Maybe they will do something more this year.
You asked about that back room. It was still open last year. DrunkAssGames used it for Death Cup during the week and then a celebration dinner on Friday night.

Posted by llenlleawg

I believe they had Gen-Con-themed menu items at The District Tap at the corner of Georgia and Meridian.

Posted by hannman

Last week, I was just talking with my buddy about our restaurant options this Gencon.  We spent half the conversation reminiscing about Scotty’s and how there isn’t a restaurant quite like Scotty’s.  

I remember a few years back we ate inside, and then as we left, we saw that they booked this band with everyone dressed up as Star Trek characters singing about Star
Wars.  We then grabbed an outside spot and hung out there for hours drinking beer hanging on the patio.  They just had the best atmosphere.

Posted by rleebyers

I don't know if this will fit the bill for you, but I see there's a Poe-themed restaurant down by Union Station.

Posted by roderick rleebyers

rleebyers wrote:
I don't know if this will fit the bill for you, but I see there's a Poe-themed restaurant down by Union Station.

It was brand new (as in, still being built, but serving food & drink) last year. Food was okay, atmosphere wasn't there yet. 

Posted by armored badger roderick

roderick wrote:
rleebyers wrote:

It was brand new (as in, still being built, but serving food & drink) last year. Food was okay, atmosphere wasn't there yet. 

That would be Nevermore. We went there last year and enjoyed it. It is about a 6-10 min walk from the convention center (.3 mile). A lot of people don't usually stray that far away, making it easy to get a table (at least then). 

We went there again in May (2023) for another convention. At first thought it was closed because all the tables in the dining hall were stacked in a corner, but found out there was an event going on later. We were disappointed though because we got there around 5 and the kitchen wasn't going to be open until 8pm. Hopefully that doesn't become the norm there, as it isn't stated as having different hours on their site.

Posted by hahnarama

It's called Nevermore, and the menu is quite limited. It's only redeeming quality is duckpin bowling 

Sign in to write a new post. New Post