Getting home is a bit of a let-down.
Posted by aldctjoc

Yeah, four days of people who share a hobby and a passion, having fun, throwing around terms like "spell DC", "saving throw", "success with a raise", etc. without confusing others.... then getting back to your normal job, your bills, your house cleaning... 

It's not sadness, it's certainly not legit depression (I've been there. Big difference), it's just a bit of a let down coming home. There's just not the same vibrancy to walking out the door when you leave the convention. 

I know that'll change soon. It just takes a bit to re-level after a vacation. But yeah... it feels just a bit down, just a little mundane. Normal life is not as fun. 

Here's to looking forward to next year already. It'll slowly simmer from January on, then ramp up in July. That'll be fun. Until then... normal life. 

Posted by lore seeker

Yeah, the first week back after a con is always the toughest. It's like the post-Christmas crash back when you were a kid, isn't it? At least that's the best comparison I've found.

Posted by aldctjoc

That's a great way of putting it. It's so much like that. 

Posted by helenbb

The best way to get through it is to start planning the next one. Just saying...

Posted by aldctjoc

Sure is! I already staked out my time off. 

And that's just the beginning. :D 

Posted by aceorton

We call it "the Gen Con sads." It usually starts when I leave the vendor hall for the last time on Sunday. All the planning and prep and anticipation, and then you have to wait a whole year until the next one.

Posted by raptorov

Exactly! Every waking minute the month or so before Gen Con is consumed by it, getting more so the closer you get. "Do I have everything?" "Where's my dice?" "Did I pack that?" "Better make one more printout  of my hotel and parking info". Now I found myself just staring, trying to figure out what I should be doing next.
Plus no one at work is wearing a badge holder. Seems weird.

Posted by qwaserity

GenCon is like Christmas in this aspect: You can think of it as a time or you can think of it as an attitude. Take the spirit of GenCon and keep it with you through the whole year. Personally, I have game night Wednesday and Thursday night as well at a library Comic Con in 9 weeks and Gamehole Con in 11 weeks. But as a wise old man once said:

"I will honor GenCon in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me."

Posted by helenbb

Smaller gaming cons really do help. I'm going to PacifiCon over Labor Day weekend, DunDraCon over the winter, and Kubla Con in the spring. It allows me to experience a tiny taste of Gen Con, to keep the spirit alive.

Posted by roderick helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Smaller gaming cons really do help. I'm going to PacifiCon over Labor Day weekend, DunDraCon over the winter, and Kubla Con in the spring. It allows me to experience a tiny taste of Gen Con, to keep the spirit alive.

You come to DunDraCon? Come up and introduce yourself! The Volunteers table should know where I am most of the time. 

Posted by helenbb roderick

roderick wrote:
helenbb wrote:

You come to DunDraCon? Come up and introduce yourself! The Volunteers table should know where I am most of the time. 

Will do! Last year was my first DunDraCon, so I think that I know a little better how to handle it this year.

And if you're at DunDraCon, why aren't you at PacifiCon or Kubla Con? ;)

Posted by roderick helenbb

helenbb wrote:
roderick wrote:
helenbb wrote:

Will do! Last year was my first DunDraCon, so I think that I know a little better how to handle it this year.And if you're at DunDraCon, why aren't you at PacifiCon or Kubla Con? ;)

I am one of the owners of DDC, so kinda need to be there :-). I worked as a Miniatures coordinator for 10 years at Kubla but had to give it up for health reasons (which reduced my spoons to nearly zero), and I have to make sure our website is running on Labor Day weekend, the start of the DDC season. (Plus, the Bay Area is ~200 miles away...)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.