How to transfer hotel reservations to someone else?
Posted by jaldarazy

The person who made our group hotel reservation is no longer able to go. Is it possible to change the reservation to another person in the group that is still going?

I'd like to avoid trying to snag it when he releases it in case we lose the room completely :/

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted by austicke

If they refund their badge, no.

If they keep their badge, they can enter anyone's name and credit card number on the reservation.

Posted by quarex

It would undoubtedly be worth it to bribe the person to not refund the badge just to keep the room

Posted by selene314

It's possible they can downgrade to a Sunday-only badge and get most of their money back while keeping the hotel reservation. (I'd ask customer service whether this would work before attempting it.)

Posted by aldctjoc selene314

selene314 wrote:It's possible they can downgrade to a Sunday-only badge and get most of their money back while keeping the hotel reservation. (I'd ask customer service whether this would work before attempting it.)

If it's a downtown room, wouldn't that run into the minimum-stay restriction? That's the obvious first question the OP must ask: Is this a downtown hotel? 

The requirement:

"**MINIMUM NIGHT STAY RESTRICTIONS. Minimum night stay restrictions are in effect for all hotels in the downtown area. Requests for hotels in the downtown area must consist of three or more consecutive dates, which must include the night of Saturday, August 5, 2023."

Source: https://files.gencon.com/2023.HowToBookARoomAssignment.pdf, page 6

That said, I don't know:

• How this affects non-downtown rooms.
  • How this is detected and enforced

... but the point is that it's potentially an important thing to consider. So yeah, I agree: Ask customer service first. 

Posted by quarex

The hotel system is definitely not monitored like a maximum security prison or anything; in 2021 or 2022 I had a reservation and in late July a friend of mine was like "you're staying in my room for free, right?" and I was like "oh no but there is no way to cancel my room now!  Might as well see if I can do something weird instead" and I convinced the system to let me change my personal stay to Monday-Wednesday, even though that absolutely should not have been possible. 

Posted by jaldarazy

Update: It is a downtown room. 

Its not clear to me if te length requirement is for hotel night stays or gencon ticket days?

Posted by austicke jaldarazy

jhreeder03 wrote:Its not clear to me if te length requirement is for hotel night stays or gencon ticket days?

The former.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.