True Dungeon 2018: More Stories, fewer gaming spots
1 3
1 3
Normal
Small
Posted by helenbb

I just got an email from True Dungeon that said that they would have 3 adventures this year at GenCon. These adventures will be set, so there won't be 'combat' or 'puzzle' versions, which means that they actually just reduced the number of possibilities from 4 to 3. There is a corresponding drop in timeslots: 8,000 to 6,000.

Cost will be $78 per ticket.

Here's the info from the email.

Gen Con 2018

Gen Con will see the presentation of the entire three-part N-series of modules. They include:

• N1 – Astral Journey to the Bliss (1st shown at Origins) [3 puzzle rooms, 3 combat rooms & 1 "both" room]
• N2 – Odin’s Haven (premieres at Gen Con)  [3 puzzle rooms, 3 combat rooms & 1 "both" room]
• N3 – Vault of the All-Father (premieres at Gen Con)  [4 puzzle rooms & 3 combat rooms]

Because of Gen Con's larger Install Crew and the fact that installation begins Monday at Gen Con (and Tuesday at other shows), all three adventures presented at Gen Con will have an improved look and feel not seen at any other convention. The extra time will be used to add additional set and prop pieces – as well as to fine-tune light, sound and special effect levels.

True Dungeon has been offering four adventures at Gen Con in recent years, so this new presentation paradigm of larger and better-quality events will see a reduction in the number of adventures due to space constraints. Thus, a total of 6,000 tickets will be available at Gen Con for enhanced adventures (instead of the 8,000 tickets that were available in 2017). The price to play these two-hour enhanced adventures at Gen Con will be $78.

New Gen Con Event!  True Dungeon: First Quest

An exciting four-room, 1.5 hour interactive experience serves as a great introduction to the True Dungeon game. This adventure features the best monsters and puzzles from True Dungeon's past, and it includes a free pack of tokens to use in the game (and no other tokens can be used during this adventure). Victorious players will be awarded one Treasure Token from a random treasure generator and players 4th-level and lower will receive 500 experience points. The cost of admission for this 1.5 hour event is $38.

True Grind will return to Gen Con, too.

Normal
Small
Posted by hauntedcity

$78???

ouch.  ouch-ouch-ouch.

My TD group is going to dissolve at that price. Very little chance of getting new folks to buy in at that price, too.   Sigh...No idea what I'm going to do this year...

Does True Dungeon give refunds for all those tokens I bought last year expecting two events around $50 each this year?

Normal
Small
Posted by stiehle

Gotta say I wasn't a fan of True Dungeon last year.  First time playing, and though I loved the concept I felt 'rushed' and a bit intimidated by the veterans grouped with my friend and I.  They were nice and all, but it just felt like we were shunted off to one side.  One combat was also geared solely toward archer types, with melee types unable to do anything at all.  And a couple of the puzzles made no earthly sense to me - apparently even the veterans had trouble because they couldn't solve them either.

I won't be joining this year either, especially not at that price.

Normal
Small
Posted by raidkillsbugsded

Does that $78 guarantee a connected hotel room?

Normal
Small
Posted by miked

Wow looking at highprogrammer’s site in 2012 true dungeon was $32 and went up by $4 every year.  This year the jump is $10.  I thought it was overpriced at $28 when I did it around 2010.  With true dungeon also announcing fewer player slots sounds like they are admitting they are over priced.  

Normal
Small
Posted by kidlidar

My wife did TD for the first time 2 years ago.  She loved the concept but like miked, she thought it was overpriced.  I just showed her this thread and she won't be doing it this year either.

Normal
Small
Posted by steffles

I have to say I'm intrigued.

As a family we were disappointed two years ago and decided it wasn't for us anymore - it felt rushed, we couldn't use half the tokens we had, it had more of a shuffleboard feel then a dungeon and our volunteers were spent...they were so tired.  They had probably been working hours on end - and it showed.  For a family of 4, that is just not worth the time or price. 

Something tells me that this overhaul and price jump will actually make it a great experience...(but I'm not paying- unless I miraculously get an in block hotel room and find myself with $1200 extra dollars)

Normal
Small
Posted by rhone1

Admitting they are overpriced?  Hardly.  They are making adjustments to how many slots they have to hopefully make it a better experience for the players and easier to manage for themselves.  Prices will continue to rise, as they should, until player interest decreases.  Simple supply and demand.

I understand why some don't like TD, but it really is a one of a kind experience as of now.  There are a lot of people that love it.  Tickets will sell out quickly again this year.

Normal
Small
Posted by halveric

I've always wanted to try True Dungeon, but I'm afraid of what @stiehle said about being rushed and shunted to the side by veterans. :/

I have no problem paying $78 a ticket, but the price had better be worth it. The experience can make or break a product or service. For example, last year, I had interest in one particular, very popular, game. Their arrogant, dismissive, elitist hosts ensured I never dropped a penny on their product, and made sure none of my friends did, either.

I guess I'll be watching this thread and others to see if people think the price is worth it.

Normal
Small
Posted by bushmaster

My question is are there enough dedicated players to make up the loss of the causal players?

I understand what the leadership of TD is doing.  I just hope they have not overplayed their hand.

Normal
Small
Posted by andrewj.rager halveric

halveric wrote:
I've always wanted to try True Dungeon, but I'm afraid of what @stiehle said about being rushed and shunted to the side by veterans. :/
I have no problem paying $78 a ticket, but the price had better be worth it. The experience can make or break a product or service. For example, last year, I had interest in one particular, very popular, game. Their arrogant, dismissive, elitist hosts ensured I never dropped a penny on their product, and made sure none of my friends did, either.
I guess I'll be watching this thread and others to see if people think the price is worth it.
A customer experience can make or break companies for me as well. If your CS team is top notch, I will buy more than I planned. If your CS team is as described above, I'll take my money elsewhere as well.

Normal
Small
Posted by dangado

The fact that a 1.5 hour 'mini' intro session is $38 is kind of insulting.   I guess they are still running 4 events if you include the Intro events.  

Two years ago is the last time I ran True Dungeon for the same reason listed as above,  Veterans would rush through new people,  the mechanic of the rogue screwing the party for free tokens kind of sucked, and being forced to play a class that you had no equipment for because you showed up only 30 minutes early instead of 40 minutes early was too much.

I will say I enjoyed it once or twice as an experience, but I'm glad to walk away and let others have their shot

Normal
Small
Posted by father bloodlust dangado

dangado wrote:
The fact that a 1.5 hour 'mini' intro session is $38 is kind of insulting.   I guess they are still running 4 events if you include the Intro events.  
Two years ago is the last time I ran True Dungeon for the same reason listed as above,  Veterans would rush through new people,  the mechanic of the rogue screwing the party for free tokens kind of sucked, and being forced to play a class that you had no equipment for because you showed up only 30 minutes early instead of 40 minutes early was too much.
I will say I enjoyed it once or twice as an experience, but I'm glad to walk away and let others have their shot

If this and other tales are any indication, I don't WANT my shot...

Normal
Small
Posted by bobszone hauntedcity

hauntedcity wrote:
$78???
ouch.  ouch-ouch-ouch.
My TD group is going to dissolve at that price. Very little chance of getting new folks to buy in at that price, too.   Sigh...No idea what I'm going to do this year...
Does True Dungeon give refunds for all those tokens I bought last year expecting two events around $50 each this year?

I am just another player and I’m sorry you feel that way. I think the advancements are worth it and will continue to play. If you are serious about quitting and want to get rid of your tokens there are plenty of collectors on the TD forum willing to buy tokens. I am one of those. Good luck and I really hope you change your mind, keep playing and keep your tokens.
Bob

Normal
Small
Posted by bobszone stiehle

stiehle wrote:
Gotta say I wasn't a fan of True Dungeon last year.  First time playing, and though I loved the concept I felt 'rushed' and a bit intimidated by the veterans grouped with my friend and I.  They were nice and all, but it just felt like we were shunted off to one side.  One combat was also geared solely toward archer types, with melee types unable to do anything at all.  And a couple of the puzzles made no earthly sense to me - apparently even the veterans had trouble because they couldn't solve them either.
It’s unfortunate that you had that experience. I have been playing for years and part of my enjoyment is when new players are in the group allowing them to take the lead and allowing them to experience it for the first time. The joy and anguish that we see in the eyes and the experience of people getting to do something for the first time reignities in me and just about every other veteran that I know the feeling of doing it for the first time. So I can say with confidence that every veteran that I know playing this is more than happy to facilitate allowing the new players to have the best experience that they possibly can rather than Trying to take over and shunting new people aside. In any case I apologize for any of the veterans that may have done that and hope that you give True Dungeon a try again. 

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 hauntedcity

hauntedcity wrote:
$78???
ouch.  ouch-ouch-ouch.

True Dungeon will also be at Origins and Gamehole con, with lower prices than at Gen Con.

True Dungeon at Gen Con hasn't been "around $50" for several years now.  It was $62 in 2017.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 miked

miked wrote:
Wow looking at highprogrammer’s site in 2012 true dungeon was $32 and went up by $4 every year.  This year the jump is $10.  I thought it was overpriced at $28 when I did it around 2010.  With true dungeon also announcing fewer player slots sounds like they are admitting they are over priced.  

I'm not sure where you are getting your price numbers, True Dungeon cost $40 in 2010, and it was $38 in 2012.

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2012.cgi/type/TDA/Game_system_not_specified

There is no mystery as to why they are reducing available ticket numbers, it's right in the announcement: "...so this new presentation paradigm of larger and better-quality events will see a reduction in the number of adventures due to space constraints."

They are laying out 3 dungeons instead of 4 so they can expand the space and immersive elements in each dungeon.

True Dungeon's sellout last year was the fastest one I've seen in a long time, at a then highest price of $62.  

It's fine if it's not your cup of tea, but there is no reason to think it won't sell out.

Certainly the fast sellout at $62 last year of 2000 more tickets shows it was underpriced (relative to demand) at $62.

In terms of value for money, compare TD, a 2 hour adventure which covers 7 distinct rooms and movie quality props with the cost of a 1 hour escape room from GC 2017:

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2017.cgi/event/ZED17106581

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
dangado wrote:

If this and other tales are any indication, I don't WANT my shot...

TD has been attended by around 8000 players a year for several years.

Many of them come back year after year due to the fun of the dungeon, the great community, and the excellent customer service Jeff and his team provide.

A few people run into knuckleheads in their gaming group, and don't have a good time as a result.  That's a shame.

Surely you've encountered said knuckleheads in other games at Gen Con?

If you gave it a shot, you might like it, but it's not for everyone.  I have friends who tried it once and don't care for it, friends who make it a priority to attend, and friends who can take it or leave it.

Normal
Small
Posted by mhayward1978 dangado

dangado wrote:

The rogue doesn't "screw the party for free tokens".

The rogue has a choice if they manage to successfully complete a physical dexterity challenge: they may look at a clue pertinent to the room, or take a treasure item.

A game is a series of interesting choices, and this is one example of an interesting choice.

Rogue characters causing drama for the party is a trope as old as D&D itself, however the rogue player can always be pro-social and take the clue if that is their choice.

Normal
Small
Posted by quizboy bobszone

bobszone wrote:
stiehle wrote:Gotta say I wasn't a fan of True Dungeon last year.  First time playing, and though I loved the concept I felt 'rushed' and a bit intimidated by the veterans grouped with my friend and I.  They were nice and all, but it just felt like we were shunted off to one side.  One combat was also geared solely toward archer types, with melee types unable to do anything at all.  And a couple of the puzzles made no earthly sense to me - apparently even the veterans had trouble because they couldn't solve them either.
It’s unfortunate that you had that experience. I have been playing for years and part of my enjoyment is when new players are in the group allowing them to take the lead and allowing them to experience it for the first time. The joy and anguish that we see in the eyes and the experience of people getting to do something for the first time reignities in me and just about every other veteran that I know the feeling of doing it for the first time. So I can say with confidence that every veteran that I know playing this is more than happy to facilitate allowing the new players to have the best experience that they possibly can rather than Trying to take over and shunting new people aside. In any case I apologize for any of the veterans that may have done that and hope that you give True Dungeon a try again. 
I'm also sorry that you were treated that way during your first game of True Dungeon.

I've been playing True Dungeon since 2004, and I've been shunted aside that way a few times myself.
Also, the biggest challenge in True Dungeon is the lack of time (thus the rush)--not the monsters or puzzles.

My solution to help new players enjoy the event has been to create my own group to explain to new players what to expect and how the game is played.  I make sure that everyone has a ranged weapon (bow or sling) and a melee weapon.

I'm certain that if you posted at the True Dungeon forums (http://truedungeon.com/forum/all), you could find veteran players who would help you (and any friends) to find group of new players and a mentor.

Most people there love the game, and are excited to share it with new gamers.  

Sign in to write a new post. New Post
1 3
1 3