Event Ticket Resale Question
Posted by anthonybarnstable

I am reading through the Gen Con Terms and Conditions, and this issue is not addressed anywhere in the agreed to Terms and Conditions. 

If an event completely sold out that I really want to attend, am I allowed per Gen Con rules to buy that ticket from someone with it at a premium price? If not, can you please quote the official rule that states it is not allowed? (I will accept a rule like “If we believe this violates a rule not otherwise described, we reserve the right to disallow that action.” or something similar)

I want to verify it is allowed first before genuinely pursuing any attempts to purchase the ticket I am interested in, but I also want to do it if it is officially allowed per Gen Con rules and does not result in any penalties. Again, to be clear, I am not actively soliciting any resales, I am merely learning more before considering the action any further. I don’t think merely asking or considering doing it only if allowed is any violation of policy itself, so I see no reason for punishment for merely asking the question. I apologize if some do not like the question, I am just trying to learn. Thank you for your time! 

Posted by scswan anthonybarnstable

[email protected] wrote:
I am reading through the Gen Con Terms and Conditions, and this issue is not addressed anywhere in the agreed to Terms and Conditions. 
If an event completely sold out that I really want to attend, am I allowed per Gen Con rules to buy that ticket from someone with it at a premium price? If not, can you please quote the official rule that states it is not allowed? (I will accept a rule like “If we believe this violates a rule not otherwise described, we reserve the right to disallow that action.” or something similar)
I want to verify it is allowed first before genuinely pursuing any attempts to purchase the ticket I am interested in, but I also want to do it if it is officially allowed per Gen Con rules and does not result in any penalties. Again, to be clear, I am not actively soliciting any resales, I am merely learning more before considering the action any further. I don’t think merely asking or considering doing it only if allowed is any violation of policy itself, so I see no reason for punishment for merely asking the question. I apologize if some do not like the question, I am just trying to learn. Thank you for your time! 

•  

Posted by lanogironu

Making sure it's okay before dropping bucks on some of those sweet, sweet Lorcana Challenge tickets?
I'm sure you're not alone and being more honest than many if so hah

Posted by mvotruba

I don't know about buying specific event tickets on the second market.  I'll let someone else field that.

However, I would encourage you to show up to the event you want with generics and see if a spot is available.  My daughter & I have done that more than once.  That said, if it's a really popular event, either everyone with specific event tickets shows up or you're there with several other people trying to do the same thing.  We've experienced that too.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to get into the event you want.  Cheers.

Posted by abasyn

This IMO is the entire purpose of generic tickets to try to prevent scalping, in terms of if it is technically allowed I have no idea but if you bring generics to an event that isn't full you will be able to get in, done it plenty of times in the past plus it lets you avoid any sort of neerdowells that might be out there.  In the end however make your own judgement calls and enjoy the con the way you want to.

Posted by starnostar lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:
Making sure it's okay before dropping bucks on some of those sweet, sweet Lorcana Challenge tickets?
Lorcana was my main want on my wishlist and honestly had no idea that pretty much every other person also wanted it lol.. needless to say i got nothing on my wishlist so i'll just be happy if I can see it while there 

Posted by fennell417 lanogironu

lanigironu wrote:

You might want to be careful about doing that.  I'm not sure how strict they are really going to be, but I got the following email regarding the tickets we got.

The message from the EO is ...
Hello! Thank you for registering for our Disney Lorcana Starter Deck Challenge at Gen Con 2023! Will will provide all the items you need to participate in this event, including a random Starter Deck and a means to track your Lore. We do ask that you familiarize yourself with the game before you arrive at the event. Once available, you can watch our learn-to-play videos at disneylorcana.com, or you can register and participate in one of our Learn-to-Play events at Gen Con. The tournament will be judged as casual event. You're welcome to bring card sleeves to this event. We regret that no player substitution is allowed; identification will be required to participate. Only one entry per person allowed.

Posted by wdgrant

I don't believe it is against the terms of service.  I have a Lorcana learn to play and a Sorcery Contested Realms ticket that I may not be able to use depending on my volunteer schedule.  I plan to sell them on to someone that can use them.

Posted by fennell417 wdgrant

wdgrant wrote:
I don't believe it is against the terms of service.  I have a Lorcana learn to play and a Sorcery Contested Realms ticket that I may not be able to use depending on my volunteer schedule.  I plan to sell them on to someone that can use them.

I would just be careful as the EO said that ID will be required to participate and player substitution is not allowed.  I didn't get that from any of the other events that I signed up for.

Posted by qwaserity

I am also waiting to hear from the officials on this. During the mad rush to get tickets I scored a ticket for Lorcana but my brother-in-law got us two tickets to another event. My sister, his wife, would love to play a new game so I was going to give her my Lorcana and join my BIL in his game.
No schanagins are going on but the ticket IS in my name. Between the three of us, this is the only Lorcana ticket. Is there an easy way to transfer it to her account?
P.S. Declaring "no player substitutions" after the purchase seems a little unfair but I fully understand why they are doing this.

Posted by austicke qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:Is there an easy way to transfer it to her account?

Yes. Just go to the event and click Transfer Ticket. Easy peasy.

Get her email address for her gen con account, send her a friend request, have her accept the friend request. 

Go to your schedule, click on that event, go to get tickets for that event, then you’ll see an option to transfer ticket. Transfer to her, it will then appear in her packets, and will be waiting for her at Will Call with her name on it. 

Posted by mikeboozer qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
I am also waiting to hear from the officials on this. During the mad rush to get tickets I scored a ticket for Lorcana but my brother-in-law got us two tickets to another event. My sister, his wife, would love to play a new game so I was going to give her my Lorcana and join my BIL in his game.
No schanagins are going on but the ticket IS in my name. Between the three of us, this is the only Lorcana ticket. Is there an easy way to transfer it to her account?
P.S. Declaring "no player substitutions" after the purchase seems a little unfair but I fully understand why they are doing this.

Put her on your friends list to transfer the ticket to her.

The transfer of event tickets within the Gen Con system is permitted.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer wdgrant

wdgrant wrote:

The transfer of event tickets between Friends & Family members is permitted within the system. I would caution anyone from purchasing anything from an unknown 3rd. Party as Gen Con cannot and will not be responsible for transactions outside the Gen Con system.

Mike

Posted by qwaserity

Thanks for the info. I'll have to walk her through it as she's....technologically challenged. Her husband bought most of her tickets and I feel she needs this in her name, not his.

If you can sit down with her in person or on zoom with a screen share, you can probably help walk her through it more hands on and directly. Otherwise, worst case, maybe you can call customer service and have them do the transfer over the phone? 

Posted by qwaserity

Follow up post here. Her husband got her account squared away and she now officially has a ticket to the hottest event at GenCon this year. And it's her first year at GenCon...

Posted by anthonybarnstable mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
wdgrant wrote:

The transfer of event tickets between Friends & Family members is permitted within the system. I would caution anyone from purchasing anything from an unknown 3rd. Party as Gen Con cannot and will not be responsible for transactions outside the Gen Con system.Mike
Is this confirmation that while it is discouraged due to risk, that it is in fact not a violation of Gen Con policy to buy event tickets from an unknown 3rd party (entirely at the buyer’s risk and Gen Con is in no way at all liable whatsoever)? Just that if someone were to do that, that Gen Con would not revoke the buyer or seller’s badge or event ticket as a punishment for the occurrence of the transaction after the fact? 

Posted by dballing mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
wdgrant wrote:

The transfer of event tickets between Friends & Family members is permitted within the system. I would caution anyone from purchasing anything from an unknown 3rd. Party as Gen Con cannot and will not be responsible for transactions outside the Gen Con system.Mike

That said, Mike, I don't think the EHP allows a EO to place strict restrictions on mapping of ticket-names to badge-names. So Lorcana should not be within the policy to turn away "player substitutions" the way they describe, right? I'd be curious what section of the EHP would allow them to do that.

Posted by toxic_rat

Perhaps a special agreement/contract with GenCon?  Something allowed them to do it, because GC returned a bunch of tickets for Lorcana (from those that had purchased multiples).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.