Passwords compromised
Posted by kbagwell777

Upon logging into your site, I received a 'Passwords compromised' warning from Google (I am using Chrome), which suggested that I change several passwords.
EDIT ... to clarify, the warning suggested I go to Password Checkup in my Google account, and there it states I have 31 compromised passwords.
Just wanted to tell you in case you get a bunch of these.
Ken

Posted by brotherbock

That may not have anything to do with this site, just fyi. What Password Checkup does is check the password you use for the site against a list of passwords that have been compromised. But it doesn't mean that it was compromised here. For example if you use that password in multiple places, Google will tell you the same thing in each place. It's just saying that the pw has been compromised, not the site. It was taken from somewhere you use it, but Google can't say where.

Posted by kbagwell777 brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:I ran Password Checkup again, and sure enough, it gives me the dialog on the other sites where I used this combination.
Thank you for this detailed and informed reply!

That may not have anything to do with this site, just fyi. What Password Checkup does is check the password you use for the site against a list of passwords that have been compromised. But it doesn't mean that it was compromised here. For example if you use that password in multiple places, Google will tell you the same thing in each place. It's just saying that the pw has been compromised, not the site. It was taken from somewhere you use it, but Google can't say where.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

I use Chrome, and have no issue with my stored passwords.  However, I don't have anything set up to sync them with any other computers where I also use Chrome & Google, so that might be it.

Posted by brotherbock kbagwell777

kbagwell777 wrote:
brotherbock wrote:I ran Password Checkup again, and sure enough, it gives me the dialog on the other sites where I used this combination.
Thank you for this detailed and informed reply!That may not have anything to do with this site, just fyi. What Password Checkup does is check the password you use for the site against a list of passwords that have been compromised. But it doesn't mean that it was compromised here. For example if you use that password in multiple places, Google will tell you the same thing in each place. It's just saying that the pw has been compromised, not the site. It was taken from somewhere you use it, but Google can't say where.

No problem :) I don't use Chrome (I consider the browser itself to be spyware), but I'm familiar with how that extension works.

@Buffy--Password Checkup used to just be an extension/add-on, so you might not even have it on your Chrome. Although I think they were going to add it as default to Chrome last year.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.