Introducing Private Messaging
Posted by mikeboozer

Today Private Messaging has been activated on gencon.com. With this service you can find and send messages to other gencon.com users from your My Messages page, which is linked to from the menu under you name, on the top navigation bar, when you are signed into your account.

This service is still a work-in-progress. It has only basic functionality and a few shortcomings, but we wanted to activate it now, before Housing Registration opened, so that Gen Con 50 attendees could connect with one another to arrange rooms, and roommates, without posting their personal contact information in the forums.

Please note that the rules of the forums also apply to private messages. If you harass or spam other gencon.com users through private messages, you will be barred from the service.

Going forward we will work out the bugs and improve the services' functionality to fit the needs of those who frequent gencon.com. We welcome any feedback, suggestions, or requests that you may have for the service but please understand that this is not Facebook, Google, or Twitter, and we're not going to try and replace them. Please add your feedback here.

Posted by austicke

Awesome!

Posted by austicke

Suggestion: List forum names on the My Friends & Family page, so you can message them.

Posted by austicke

It should probably give an error message if you sent a message to an invalid participant (instead of just sending a message to yourself). Hopefully that's on your bug list.

Posted by austicke

Delete function needed.

Should I not mention all these obvious ones?

Posted by suburbaknght

Would be nice to have an easy way to send a message from the forum instead of going to My Messages, either by clicking their screen name or profile picture.

Posted by kidlidar

Also, It would be good to have notification on the website after you sign in, so you won't have to check manually

New Post Sign in to write a new post.