Bag suggestions, and what you use
Posted by aaronmlopez

I am not much into the messenger bag. Just not my style. I am going with the Handy Haversack from Offworld designs. Was going to use my laptop bag but wanted a bit more room for daily use when the con is over. We'll see how this goes.

Posted by ginamarie72 gennataos

gennataos wrote:
shanew wrote:
I don't want to start and edition war on bag types, but back packs and messenger bags are my preferred method.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a slimmer style backpack, I just need to hold an ipad, dice, pencils and some food + water.

Last year was my first GenCon.  I did a disgusting amount of con-prep research and landed on this....The Con-Survival Bag of Holding!  It worked out great!  I keep trying to find an upgrade, but I really can't find one I like more than this.  I never found myself lacking space.  Sure, if I wanted to carry around BIG games, I'd want something else, but I'd argue there aren't a whole lot of people who need that kind of room.  I also use it as my game night/lunchtime game bag.  Right now, it's filled with this for lunchtime gaming:

• 7 Wonders: Duel
  • Biblios
  • two dual deck boxes (star realms and ascension)
  • Jaipur
  • Mr. Jack Pocket
  • Playmat tube w/ Star Realms playmat (one of side mesh pouches build for this sort of thing)
  • iPad Air 2
  • notepad
  • dice bag (pouch on other side, use for water at GenCon)
  • pencils/pens/sharpies
  • portable usb charger

I also use it when I DM D&D, and it holds everything I need (PHB, DMG, MM, campaign book).  It's a great bag, zero complaints, perfect for gaming on the go.

How comfortable is the bag on your shoulder?  I have a messenger bag that I love, the pockets and all are perfect, but it kills my shoulder by the end of the con.  I'd love to order this one, especially since it is on sale, but I would love to know the comfort factor.

thanks!

Posted by garhkal

For me, its currently a good shoulder backpack with a messenger bag IF i need more storage..

Posted by gennataos ginamarie72

ginamarie72 wrote:
gennataos wrote:
shanew wrote:
I don't want to start and edition war on bag types, but back packs and messenger bags are my preferred method.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a slimmer style backpack, I just need to hold an ipad, dice, pencils and some food + water.

Last year was my first GenCon.  I did a disgusting amount of con-prep research and landed on this....The Con-Survival Bag of Holding!  It worked out great!  I keep trying to find an upgrade, but I really can't find one I like more than this.  I never found myself lacking space.  Sure, if I wanted to carry around BIG games, I'd want something else, but I'd argue there aren't a whole lot of people who need that kind of room.  I also use it as my game night/lunchtime game bag.  Right now, it's filled with this for lunchtime gaming:

• Biblios
  • Jaipur
  • Mr. Jack Pocket
  • Playmat tube w/ Star Realms playmat (one of side mesh pouches build for this sort of thing)
  • iPad Air 2
  • notepad
  • pencils/pens/sharpies
  • portable usb charger

I also use it when I DM D&D, and it holds everything I need (PHB, DMG, MM, campaign book).  It's a great bag, zero complaints, perfect for gaming on the go.

How comfortable is the bag on your shoulder?  I have a messenger bag that I love, the pockets and all are perfect, but it kills my shoulder by the end of the con.  I'd love to order this one, especially since it is on sale, but I would love to know the comfort factor.thanks!

It's fine, really just depends on how heavy the stuff is you put in the bag.  I usually have it slung across my chest, with the bag at my back, when talking around with it.

Posted by thag13

My wife got me this for Xmas last year and It was a major improvement over my old messenger bag.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-accessories/mn-bags/44401.aspx?processor=content

But yea, I got clocked pretty hard last year by a guy that I think was carrying every magic card he owned in lead case deck protectors.

Its not funny, and I actually pointed him out to con security as this kid hit at least two other folks.  Im a big guy in decent shape, and when you nearly knock me off my feet and leave a welt on my arm, you are doing something wrong.

I have a pretty good backpack I use for some events, but man I am so used to my one shoulder messenger bag, its my go to event bag.

I also bring heavy duty grocery bags to carry the really heavy games and gear I pick up at Gencon

Posted by ginamarie72

Woohoo, hubby got me the smaller bag of holding that was so highly recommended in this thread!  Now I just need to get fun patches to add to it!

Posted by dballing

Historically I will use a simple messenger bag (usually something from a prior year's Gen Con VIG bag). I love the SwissGear backpack you're referencing (and it's my day to day commute bag) but for long days with a bag full of books, a good messenger bag, worn cross-body, does really well for me (more specifically, my back).

One of the other advantages of the messenger bag is that, since it's usually very pliable fabric, once the books are *out* of it, it takes up very little room under my seat at a gaming table.

Lastly, it allows me much greater control over where the "heavy painful mass" of my books goes when trying to navigate through pedestrian traffic. I can hold it in close to my body, or slide it a bit so it's ahead or behind me, etc.  And I like to think that the folks that I don't slam a 20-pound battering ram into thank me for it, even if they don't know they're doing so. :-)

Posted by gennataos ginamarie72

ginamarie72 wrote:
Woohoo, hubby got me the smaller bag of holding that was so highly recommended in this thread!  Now I just need to get fun patches to add to it!

Awesome!  Hope you enjoy it!  

I thought it'd be useful to show just how much can go into these things.  Below are pics of how my bag is now packed for day-to-day lunchtime gaming...

This first one shows all of the games I have in the bag.  The top part shows all of the game boxes, empty and on shelves at home, with the contents in those deck boxes below.  Mr. Jack Pocket (upper, second from left) is the only game in the original box.  I put all of the instruction sheets (upper right) in the back pocket of the bag.  18 games!!

Sushi Go!
Mr. Jack Pocket
Love Letter
Coloretto
Hanabi
Battle Line
Coup
Jaipur
Guillotine
One Night Ultimate Werewolf: Daybreak
For Sale
Bang! The Dice Game
Biblios
7 Wonders: Duel
Star Realms
Star Realms: Colony
Hive Pocket (not pictured...lent to friend)
Ascension: Apprentice Edition (lost original box...had forgotten about this!)

This is everything packed in there, iPad in the front compartment, Star Realms playmat in tube sleeve and dice bag (usually Hive Pocket) in side pouches.  I also have the game boards for 7 Wonders: Duel and Biblios in this front compartment along with the playmats for Coup (you can kind of see them poking out).

Granted, I wouldn't do this for GenCon.  I'd probably carry half or less of those games and possibly no playmat.  I'd want water in a side pouch, portable power supply, snacks and meds, etc.  But it does give you an idea of just what can fit in this thing with some decent planning.

Posted by trace_sl

I use Gen Con messenger bag BUT carry a couple of cloth grocery bags for my purchases.  I have got to the point where I carry very little on me, just dice, iPad, notebook and pens. 

Posted by bpunkert

My neck and upper back are shot (major car accident a number of years ago), so as much as I lurve the Convention Bag of Holding it's not a practical option, as I can't carry anything on my shoulder for long without pain and my chiropractor will be back in Canada.

So I will be bringing a backpack, but it's fairly small, it will be lightly packed, and I am very conscious of my turtle-shell, as I take public transit a lot and don't want to be "that person". *lol*

Posted by tyrodboshi

Agreed bpunkert .. as some of us"older and more broken " ..gamers have issues with the messenger bag type.
The good news about this is this usually makes us more aware of others in hallways:)

Posted by cloak72

I have a couple of Timbuk2 messenger bags that I bring.  I find them much more comfortable than backpacks and much more controllable.  I have a larger one for times when I will be shopping and a smaller one if I know I won't be.

Posted by staceyb627 brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
Here's some linkage to the EQusg bags. Lots of options, from light and mobile to big and roomy. 
https://youtu.be/NRoPNnFf-RE
http://www.geekadores.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/EquilibriumDIAGRAM_zpsbec407d3.jpg
This is similar to what I have, but the modular part means that it also comes with a light pack. The harness with the shoulder straps detaches and is its own bag. 
[img]http://www.equnit.com/equilibrium/shop/images/15933/[/img]

That bag looks fantastic!

Posted by jmiller1138 staceyb627

staceyb627 wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
Here's some linkage to the EQusg bags. Lots of options, from light and mobile to big and roomy. 
http://www.geekadores.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/EquilibriumDIAGRAM_zpsbec407d3.jpg
This is similar to what I have, but the modular part means that it also comes with a light pack. The harness with the shoulder straps detaches and is its own bag. 
I have this bag.  it's great, but beware, with the shoulder strap harness it sticks out like a ghostbuster's proton pack.

Posted by brotherbock staceyb627

staceyb627 wrote:
brotherbock wrote:

Oh, it is. I used it for an international trip, and it's perfect. I had a change of clothes, including footwear, as well as toiletries and a couple of books, all inside the main bag. You carry it around as one carry on, but on the plane it separates into two. The big unit goes overhead, the small under your seat for access. And because they strap together for boarding, it's one item, meaning you can also carry a personal item. 

For gaming, carrying minis or laptop or cards, it's also great. Padded, with a lot of built in pockets. Plus you get it sized to fit you, so the padding hits you in the right places. You can load it down and it feels like it weighs nothing. 

I'm planning on using it for a hiking pack on a trip in August, but I also use it for daily carrying of laptop and such. Can't say enough about it. 

Posted by sakurawinters

I recommend Fjallraven products.

http://www.fjallraven.us/products/kanken-backpack

The standard size is pricey, $75.00, but they are designed very well and have a lifetime guarantee.  They come in a lot of colors and are water resistant.  It saved my back on my last vacay to DC.

Posted by klaron

My .02 worth....

We purchase an Ogio Messenger bag a couple years ago and have been very happy with it.  We find messenger bags easier to swing around and take off when sitting down at a demo table.  Moreover, we are far less likely to clock someone behind us compared to using a backpack.  Expensive, but we feel they are very comfortable and rugged thus making it a worthwhile investment.

As a side note, we cannot believe and despise the increased amount of people bringing in pull behind carts and wagons.  More than once have I seen or come close myself, someone tripping over them because they cannot be seen.

Posted by aaronmlopez

I purchased the canvas Handy Haversack. Plenty of room for purchases so I don't have to carry two bags. For waterproofing, I just coated it with Neverwet (http://astore.amazon.com/neve09-20/detail/B0143FX0CW) and I no longer worry about it getting wet. 

Posted by turner gennataos

gennataos wrote:
shanew wrote:

• Biblios
  • Jaipur
  • Mr. Jack Pocket
  • iPad Air 2
  • notepad
  • pencils/pens/sharpies
  • portable usb charger

I agree with everything you said here. I love mine too, and have since been using it every day. I have backpacks, messenger bags, laptop bags, and even the original Bag of Holding. This is so much better than any of the others! Empty, it's lighter than the regular bag of holding, and it sits close enough to my body that it doesn't bother my back (which usually hurts anyway).
It's surprising what all can fit in this thing, too. Well worth the money.

Posted by aaronvsapp

The best one I've had was an over the shoulder bag I got at IKEA. I think having a smaller bag is better for two reasons. One, you are less likely to hit someone with it. Two, it encourages you to minimize what you are carrying. I've stopped carrying books to RPG events as I very rarely had to look at them. Your feet will appreciate you.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.